Groups

smell from bacon

i was just about to cook lentil and bacon soup but when i opened the bacon a horrible stench like rotten eggs came out the packaging,its still in date and the bacon looks fine and the smell has gone.it just came out when i first opened it
    ive never noticed bacon having a smell before
    do u think its safe to eat?

38 Comments

Original Poster

jellybaby22

Never noticed that before.... I always think if bacon is off it's really … Never noticed that before.... I always think if bacon is off it's really sticky... So if it smells ok and isn't too sticky it should be fine

yeah it smells ok now it was just at first and it made the kitchen stink
    oh well looks like i will have to pop to shops dont fancy chancing it

Is it Smoked Bacon ?

Banned

Eat it

lol, on the packaging does it say that a smell maybe present on first opening and will go away after a while, some packaged meats have the this notice on their packaging also
    Edited by: "Alfonse" 14th Mar 2011

Original Poster

WheresMeNuts

Is it Smoked Bacon ?

no unsmoked
    my son nearly vomitted when he got back from school as i had just opened the packaging
    the date is 26th march,ive opened 2 packets and they both stank the same but both were bought same time and have same date
    there is 20 slices too and im hungry

Alfonse

lol, on the packaging does it say that a smell maybe present on first … lol, on the packaging does it say that a smell maybe present on first opening and will go away after a while, some packaged meats have the this notice on their packaging also

All sealed meats have a strong smell when first open & should be rested for around 10 mins before using,Chicken is the worst.

Original Poster

ive never known bacon to smell before though

If you can be bothered take it back the shop and complain, I would.

Original Poster

WheresMeNuts

All sealed meats have a strong smell when first open & should be rested … All sealed meats have a strong smell when first open & should be rested for around 10 mins before using,Chicken is the worst.

yeah chicken is vile this smelt worse than chicken like a rotton eggy fart from something that had died

WheresMeNuts

All sealed meats have a strong smell when first open & should be rested … All sealed meats have a strong smell when first open & should be rested for around 10 mins before using,Chicken is the worst.

aye

not worth the risk of a bad stomach for the sake of a pack of bacon, BIN IT!
    will be full of bad bacteria that's what has caused the bad smell..
    Edited by: "ukmonkey" 14th Mar 2011

Was it stored in fridge next to say Onions or garlic ?
    Strong light can turn bacon & of course stored at wrong temp.

If it stank but looks okay, likely-hood it's been out of the fridge/chiller either in-store or at home.

Up to you but if it smells bad bin it or complain. Personally as long as it's cooked at a high temperature can't be to many problems with it.

Let's just hope the shop keeper does not think you are telling Porkies :-/

Original Poster

WheresMeNuts

Was it stored in fridge next to say Onions or garlic ?Strong light can … Was it stored in fridge next to say Onions or garlic ?Strong light can turn bacon & of course stored at wrong temp.

no it was stored next to other sealed sandwich meatss
    so has anyone else had bacon that stank?? from all the years i have cooked it i have never noticed a smell so im not going to chance it
    thanks for advice

Original Poster

WheresMeNuts

Let's just hope the shop keeper does not think you are telling Porkies :-/

lol

edjaned

no it was stored next to other sealed sandwich meatssso has anyone else … no it was stored next to other sealed sandwich meatssso has anyone else had bacon that stank?? from all the years i have cooked it i have never noticed a smell so im not going to chance itthanks for advice

Never ever had that smell before. Take it back and explain, get your money back

Original Poster

nikkib123

Never ever had that smell before. Take it back and explain, get your … Never ever had that smell before. Take it back and explain, get your money back

do u think they will take it back even if the stench has gone?

edjaned

do u think they will take it back even if the stench has gone?

Yep deffo. Most big shops have a "if you're not completely satisfied" return policy. Tell them what happened and how you can't eat it now

where did it come from? I know that places like Tesco send meat off to be checked out if you take it back.I had that with some chicken once. I got a letter saying that it hadn't been harmful.

edjaned

yeah chicken is vile this smelt worse than chicken like a rotton eggy … yeah chicken is vile this smelt worse than chicken like a rotton eggy fart from something that had died

I need to get out a bit more, as that's something I am yet to experience.

Original Poster

yeah will take it back then i bought 2 packets and have opened both,i cant stomach it now
    i bought it from asda

thesaint

I need to get out a bit more, as that's something I am yet to experience.

That made me laugh X)

edjaned

yeah will take it back then i bought 2 packets and have opened both,i … yeah will take it back then i bought 2 packets and have opened both,i cant stomach it now i bought it from asda

They will be fine I reckon

take it back mate, i don't touch anything that stinks

I would also use the bacon if smell has gone & is not discoloured or sticky.
    I've had this a few times with bacon & never had any probs.

Original Poster

WheresMeNuts

I would also use the bacon if smell has gone & is not discoloured or … I would also use the bacon if smell has gone & is not discoloured or sticky.I've had this a few times with bacon & never had any probs.

ni its normal colour i know sometimes u see maet and its gone from pink colour to a brown colour
    but this looks fine
    i wish i had opened the bacon b4 preparing a big pan of potatoes and carrots

Original Poster

WheresMeNuts

I would also use the bacon if smell has gone & is not discoloured or … I would also use the bacon if smell has gone & is not discoloured or sticky.I've had this a few times with bacon & never had any probs.

have u had it when the bacon has stank when opening the packaging?

Adam2050

If it stank but looks okay, likely-hood it's been out of the … If it stank but looks okay, likely-hood it's been out of the fridge/chiller either in-store or at home. Up to you but if it smells bad bin it or complain. Personally as long as it's cooked at a high temperature can't be to many problems with it.

i don't care how "hot" it is (_;)

edjaned

have u had it when the bacon has stank when opening the packaging?

I'm a chef & have come across it a good few times.

Banned

Charlie Scene

Good job your missus dont think that way! X)

Just cook and eat it OP. If you fall ill you know the smell was because it was off.

WheresMeNuts

That might be what caused the smell! X)

Charlie Scene

WheresMeNuts

I hate salty bacon

Guv this is not a carry on movie! Oooh er missus X)

nikkib123

Guv this is not a carry on movie! Oooh er missus X)

Lean back.

dontasciime

Lean back.

Pig!

dontasciime

Lean back.

i like mine trimmed

take it back if it says try me love me on the pack u will get a refund and a replacement xx

See if a dog will eat a rasher, they're good judges of whether meat is off or not.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764403
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?1939
      3. RIP DOCTOR WHO712
      4. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1011

See more discussions