Statutory Sick Pay - is it renewed each financial year?

Found 3rd Jun 2015
Hi all

Last year I was unlucky and caught meningitis in the brain which put me in a comatose state twice (Jan 2014). It took me 6 months recovering in hospital and another couple of months at home. All under SSP

I understand I had used my maximum SSP I could receive which is fine.

Unfortunately May just gone I was ill where I needed a week off work - I received my salary for that month to find a deduction to my basic pay and no SSP.

As I thought SSP was renewed every year like annual leave? Can anyone shed any light on this matter?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  1. Ask
You didn't used to get SSP for the first five days off in any sick period so if you only had a week absence you would not get it.

Sick pay paid by your employer is obviously dependent on your contract, where I used to work you would get six months full pay then half pay. The six months at full pay was pro rata based over a three year period. So if you went 3 years without any sick days then your six months at full pay would be available again.
Edited by: "Argoj" 3rd Jun 2015
I always thought SSP was a rolling year but +1 for above..
SSP can be paid again, as long as you have been back at work a minimum of 8 weeks after being off sick prior. You don't get SSP for the first 3 calendar days, but if you were off for 7 calendar days then you should get 4 days SSP. Have you completed a self certification or sent in a drs note? If not, maybe that's why you havent received it.
Post a comment

Top Discussions

Top Merchants