Switch Joycon Controller

Posted 25th Jan 2023
Hi all,

My daughters switch has started having issues with the left joycon constantly moving down, is this “drift” issue or something else? I purchased a new joycon (official one) didn’t resolve the issue, still the same. How do I resolve? Any ideas? Latest software update also did not resolve.

Thanks all.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You can calibrate the joycons in the controller settings, it might be that they just need resetting. The cardboard trick above also does work but not for long.

My next attempt will be to try hall effect joysticks, these are finally available and I bought some last week;

amazon.co.uk/dp/…HDQ

I've not tried them yet though.
    If it's keep moving in the same direction at a constant rate without any user input then yes that would be drift.

The faulty one is definitely unpaired and the new one linked up to the console in it's place, right?

If it's still doing it, I would be inclined to think you got REALLY unlucky and would return it to the retailler and swap for another. Hopefully everything works as expected then.
    Author
    Yeah new one linked and still has the same issue. I’ve organised a repair through Nintendo but was hoping there was a quicker fix. If there’s still an issue they will give a new joy con apparently.

Unbelievable really. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
    Try this method

Then add a bit of cardboard to your controller
    Have you gone through the control stick calibration in settings (edited)
    I have fixed drift on joycons and xbox controllers using compressed air from poundland
    If that doesn't work... wd40 electrical from amazon (nb the electrical)
    You might want to let Nintendo know what you did to fix drift - even they can't! That's why they have an extended warranty replacement program
's avatar
Top Merchants