Visiting Dubai

Posted 27th Sep 2022
Hey Experts, I’m making a first family visit to Dubai. Any (budget) hotel recommendation? What about food, attractions, to rent a car, use a cab or public transport? Personal experience will be of immense benefit. Thanks for your time and thoughts.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

24 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    MonkeyMan90
    I went to Dubai in October 2019 so i can offer my advice. Download "the entertainer" app. It can be done through here. This will give you 50% off in absolutely loads of places (you'll save the most with food & drink). There is a free version but it doesn't cover half as much, but even the paid version can be had for around £100 and you will save that after 2 days in Dubai.

I didn't hire a car as the monorail is super cheap and there are stations everywhere. Whilst on monorails do be careful because some carriages are for woman and children only but it is clearly marked. We paid for 1st class upgrade as it was only about £3/£4 more if i remember correctly.

I stayed at a hotel in JBR (Jumeriah Beach Residence, 5 min walk from the marina) called Delta Hotels by Marriot which was very cost effective and ideally located. We paid £1015 for a family of 4 full board in October Half Term 1 week.

Excursions I can recommend:-
    Hop on Hop off bus tour.
    Desert safari tour.
    Up the Burj Khalifa
    Hire a boat for the night time fountain display outside the Burj Khalifa (roughly £16 each) much better views and no crowds as you are on a boat.
    Visit The Palm (you can do this in combination with the hop on hop off bus tour)
    The Aquarium in Dubai mall is fantastic.
    The malls themselves are just standard malls if you enjoy shopping you will like them if not then they're meh. Food is dirt cheap in the mall.

The people are lovely they keep themselves to themselves. (edited)
    Gollywood
    TripAdvisor is the place to ask
    Griffinpark1982
    The budget hotels are in the city(Deira) and Bur Dubai. I would recommend somewhere like the Ramada or Ibis if your on a budget tbh. The dubai metro is cheap enough to get around tbh, no need to hire a car really
    haa0518
    Rent a car from airport. Parking in malls free, other places you will have to pay. Not expensive

If renting a car then no problem wherever you are in dubai, nothing will be far away.

Normal hotels are not that expensive. Can find a cheap 5 star in £100-110 per night. Breakfast may be included aswell
    dcx_badass
    [deleted]
    Willy_Wonka
    I just don't get the appeal of Dubai. Politics aside.
    u664541
    Don't know if it's still the case but for a few nights' getaway the best thing to do was fly out Thursday night arrive early Friday so have a full first day and fly back to UK early hours of Monday morning around 0200 to arrive at ~0700 and go straight to work! 2 nights accommodation is all needed and you're there a full 3 days - that's all you need.
    MonkeyMan90
    I did 1 week and could have done another 3 days or so.
    Jimathon
    Quite pricey but the Aquaventure water park on the palm is absolutely fantastic
    sm9690
    You get a free pass if you go for your birthday (or 7 days before/after) atlantis.com/dub…ass

I used it a few years ago, had a great time! (edited)
's avatar
Top Merchants