What is a mobile phone upgrade?

Posted 23rd Jul 2012
My orange contract recently ended (24 month) and this is the first contract phone I have had. I was just wondering what "upgrading" your phone means. Does it means you switch straight to a new contract, keeping your old phone?

And what happens if you don't upgrade? Does it mean you keep your old phone but don't have any new contract?
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    scrumpypaul
    the perks are that loyalty "should" mean you get a reasonable choice of phone and/or lower priced or better specification of tariff (i.e. more minutes or texts or data or whatever)

in reality, if it's your first contract and you haven't given your provider a load of cash by going over your contracted minutes etc, then you aren't going to be that profitable for them so your perks may be quite small.

ring them, see what they offer, double check against other providers to see if what they are offering is worth your while, if it is, then consider going for it, if not, ask them for your PAC (port authoriation code - the code that allows you to go to another provider but keeping your mobile number, us ethe PAC and you end the contract on your current provider)
    Anonymous User
    Means you get new phone and sign up to a lengthy contract

If you dont nothing changes but you can cancel contract whenever
    topsup Author
    churchill

Means you get new phone and sign up to a lengthy contractIf you dont … Means you get new phone and sign up to a lengthy contractIf you dont nothing changes but you can cancel contract whenever

So there are no perks to upgrading off the bat as opposed to ending the contract and grabbing a new contract later on?
    topsup Author
    Thanks a lot, scrumpy. That answered everything I wanted to know
    Will give them a call tomorrow
    Anonymous User
    If you are happy with the phone you have and don't intend changing it then you can go onto a sim only contract, because they are not recouping the cost of a phone it will be a lot cheaper.
    I am on an iPhone contract that's £10.50 a month for a contract period of 12 months.
    N1K0LAI_DAN7E
    if your happy with the phone you have got and dont want to stay contracted where you can be effectively extorted by a phone company look at giff gaff goodbags, i pay £10 pm on giff gaff, get unltd texts, 250 minutes and unltd internet, its effectively pay as you go so you can leave and pay whenever you want
    Anonymous User
    Put your phone under your pillow the fairies come and give you a new one.
    Anonymous User
    Is my phone a year yet 1Q are u gonna give me a new phone to upgrade huaweii union

CrispEditor
    Descendants22

Is my phone a year yet 1Q are u gonna give me a new phone to upgrade … Is my phone a year yet 1Q are u gonna give me a new phone to upgrade huaweii union

No idea what that sentence means. But "yes" is one possible answer.
    Dyslexic_Dog
    Descendants22

Is my phone a year yet 1Q are u gonna give me a new phone to upgrade … Is my phone a year yet 1Q are u gonna give me a new phone to upgrade huaweii union

​Someone's been at the Xmas sherry!
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants