Where's your Hermes parcel? Probably at an auction house!

Posted 24th Apr 2020
Well worth a look, this...

twnews.co.uk/uk-…eek

One company that had been affected was Premium dog bed company, Barka Parka.

Ten per cent of their packages sent via Hermes were lost during May and September last year - which was over £1,000 of orders.

In June, the business complained to Hermes after a £142 dog bed was never sent to the intended customer, but they said the order could not be found and that they could only claim £20 compensation.

Just weeks later, the dog bed was found on Ebay with the customers delivery note in one of the photographs on the site and it was later discovered the bed had been bought at an auction house.
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

27 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    maccy1i
    Hmmm, someone's going to be in the dog house
    splatsplatsplat
    Can't really blame Hermes for only getting £20 back, that's the sender's fault for sending a £142 item and not paying extra for cover.
    donny1266
    splatsplatsplat24/04/2020 21:21

Can't really blame Hermes for only getting £20 back, that's the sender's …Can't really blame Hermes for only getting £20 back, that's the sender's fault for sending a £142 item and not paying extra for cover.

Pretty sure we shouldn’t be blaming the sender for getting their stuff stolen
    Phsycronix
    This sort of thing makes me mad.

It's like the "lost luggage" thing at airports etc. I know there's not much else they can do with them all but I watched a show where peoples lost or unclaimed baggage gets auctioned off. People buying unopened cases of other peoples property - it just seemed so 'wrong' to me. Like I say, I do realise that it's better that something is done with it rather than it be destroyed (or maybe that would be better?) but it felt so personal and uncomfortable to watch someone opening up someone else's property and rifling through it in the hope of striking gold with something worth a bob or two.

Most unlikely; of course; as it'll probably be someone's dirty holiday laundry but it still had connotations of a scavenger from the middle-ages pawing over the corpse of a dead soldier to see what they can pilfer! The usual "trader" types were buying 20 suitcases for; like; £60 and then totting up what they can sell the contents for. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I watched and recognised a case full of my stuff being picked over like a dead carcass by a vulture. Especially if you knew something was of a particular sentimental nature.

I used to frequent auctions quite regularly and often used to be struck with a heavy heart when I saw 'house clearance' lots that contain such personal things like wedding pictures, family photo's, items with dedications or messages etc. Things that were once more than likely someone's treasured memories. It really is quite sad to think someone's life culminated in a cardboard box of "miscellany" at a sale...
    MIDURIX
    splatsplatsplat24/04/2020 21:21

Can't really blame Hermes for only getting £20 back, that's the sender's …Can't really blame Hermes for only getting £20 back, that's the sender's fault for sending a £142 item and not paying extra for cover.

What a warped view
    miikeyblue Author
    maccy1i24/04/2020 20:41

Hmmm, someone's going to be in the dog house

No dog bed in there, though.
    louiselouise
    I get on really well with my Hermes guy and I trust him - never had any bother with them.

DPD had two parcels go missing witin a week of each other last year (from Amazon), both bigger ticket items. The second was quietly delivered to me days later when I complained for the second time. The first - who knows where that went, but I got a reply to my first complaint email over a month later. Beyond hopeless. (edited)
    .MUFC.
    Tbh can't fault Hermes where I am but I've read some stories about them etc.. They've delivered 100% of parcels I'm due and delivered successfully each parcel I've sent but they must be doing wrong to get such negative press etc.. I do avoid them if I can and only use them for returns etc..
    dbizal
    Herpes. Literally the worst delivery service - a desease of a comapny. (edited)
    Justsuperman
    Our Hermes courier is fantastic but he is very overworked 160 parcels a day he told me today he said he has done 1000 this last week works 6 days a week bless him
    Justsuperman
    Blimey
    melted
    I'd wondered how they could be so good at losing parcels.
    Anonymous User
    Do they still use Hermes I wonder? As some still do, the bad service they have is known everywhere but they don't seem to be effected at all.
    Justsuperman
    Justsuperman24/04/2020 22:09

Our Hermes courier is fantastic but he is very overworked 160 parcels a …Our Hermes courier is fantastic but he is very overworked 160 parcels a day he told me today he said he has done 1000 this last week works 6 days a week bless him

Last* not this
    Anonymous User
    It’s on Jo Lycett’s got your back (CH4)

Hermes tend to be local for me I.e. a hub agent drops it off sometimes night before due or night of due date.
    Rusty82
    They are brutal. If I am online shopping and there's no alternative to who delivers the items but hermes then I just won't shop there. They are that bad. The amount of problems I've has with them is off the charts. That being said the actual driver in my area is fine, nice and reliable but the chances of my parcel getting to him and in a timely manner, I'd put that at 20%.
    Bigspin
    OnePlus 7 from eGlobal went missing. Item last tracked at their regional hub and then nothing. EGlobal gave me full refund but took 3 weeks to investigate.
    Satan_Claws
    Had far more problems with Royal Mail and DPD than I have with Hermes.

For all their faults they are still better than the alternatives.
    m4rmite
    Hermes, the delivery company that "damaged" my order of hand soap.
    Stolen more like.
    lumsdot
    Or more likely with a "neighbour"
    Psychobunni
    Got a parcel put through my door by Hermes the other day which is for a totally different address, not even slightly similar! I'm not expecting anything so it's not even like the parcels got switched in error. Tried to get into contact with them to let them know but they really don't make it easy. I have no idea how they can be so bad and still continue as a company
    AnkerMan
    No problems so far with Hermes or ups. But in regards to this thread, 10% loss rate over four month period is definitely troubling. I always send tracked and insured so not sure why this business isn't doing the same. Either that or use different courier.
    Azwipe
    Every time i return to Amazon via Hermes the parcel disappears, every single time without fail i have to go chat to get a refund.
    athunder
    Well I was going to defend my local courier, always been really good but just found my parcel on the doorstep, no one knocked or rang the bell, very lucky no one passed by and saw it.
    Phsycronix
    athunder27/04/2020 11:55

Well I was going to defend my local courier, always been really good but …Well I was going to defend my local courier, always been really good but just found my parcel on the doorstep, no one knocked or rang the bell, very lucky no one passed by and saw it.

Probably the new "distancing" at play - but they should at least knock and then stand back...
    athunder
    Phsycronix27/04/2020 11:58

Probably the new "distancing" at play - but they should at least knock and …Probably the new "distancing" at play - but they should at least knock and then stand back...

Yeah, the few deliveries I've had before have all done that, rung the bell and waited by the gate. Only found the parcel cause I saw letters by the door. Normally the email states the name of my local courier when the parcel is out for delivery but it didn't this time, so perhaps it's not the usual guy at the moment?
's avatar
Top Merchants