WIFI interference from baby monitor

Posted 12th Jun 2020
As above, I'm getting really bad WIFI drop outs when our BT baby monitor (6000) is turned on/used. Does anyone else have similar issues? I'm on Virgin broadband with a speed of 100mbs so i know it's not a speed capability issue.
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Gr1zz1y89 Author
    dineshrav20/05/2021 11:04

Did you solve the issue by changing channels on 2.4 network?

In a word, no. I tried messing around with the 2.4 channels but ended up buying a mesh network and that solved the issue (edited)
    Dannyrobbo
    Does it operate on the 2.4/5ghz range do you know
    Pájaro
    You'll get this when two radio devices try to communicate on the same frequency. The workaround is to change that frequency, which is probably most easily done by trying different WiFi channels. Go into your router's control panel, and you can change it from there.
    Gr1zz1y89 Author
    Dannyrobbo12/06/2020 14:45

Does it operate on the 2.4/5ghz range do you know

Hi, thanks for replying. I'm not sure, it doesn't actually say anywhere on the product specification annoyingly
    haybr
    Pájaro12/06/2020 16:50

You'll get this when two radio devices try to communicate on the same …You'll get this when two radio devices try to communicate on the same frequency. The workaround is to change that frequency, which is probably most easily done by trying different WiFi channels. Go into your router's control panel, and you can change it from there.

This👆🏻 my baby monitor had an option to just push the middle button and it would change the channels- had to remember to do it after a power cut!
    Gr1zz1y89 Author
    Pájaro12/06/2020 16:50

You'll get this when two radio devices try to communicate on the same …You'll get this when two radio devices try to communicate on the same frequency. The workaround is to change that frequency, which is probably most easily done by trying different WiFi channels. Go into your router's control panel, and you can change it from there.

Hello, thank you for your reply. My router settings show that the baby monitor is on the 2.4ghz frequency. I can't seem to be able to change the frequency of a specific device. Do you think i need to purchase a 3rd party router rather than use Virgin's own 3.0 hub?
    Dannyrobbo
    Gr1zz1y8912/06/2020 19:15

Hello, thank you for your reply. My router settings show that the baby …Hello, thank you for your reply. My router settings show that the baby monitor is on the 2.4ghz frequency. I can't seem to be able to change the frequency of a specific device. Do you think i need to purchase a 3rd party router rather than use Virgin's own 3.0 hub?

have a play about with your Router wireless channel, set it to 1, 6 or 11 and test at each
    Pájaro
    Gr1zz1y8912/06/2020 19:15

Hello, thank you for your reply. My router settings show that the baby …Hello, thank you for your reply. My router settings show that the baby monitor is on the 2.4ghz frequency. I can't seem to be able to change the frequency of a specific device. Do you think i need to purchase a 3rd party router rather than use Virgin's own 3.0 hub?

Your standard Virgin router should be fine. Google this term for info on how to change the channel within that 2.4GHz spectrum: How to change wifi channel Virgin router

TobyZ
    Most of the routers have the Wifi on "Auto"; they will check for signal-to-noise ratio and then change the channel dynamically. In practice I haven't had good results. That's why the best solution is to scan by yourself the network and select the channel which is not usually used. On Android you can use NETGEAR WiFi Analytics play.google.com/sto…ics (it doesn't have advertisement; you need to activate the location to scan for wifi).

As channels 1,6 and 11 were quite busy, I chose to use channel 8.
    41075986-KVA2y.jpg

Update:
    "My router settings show that the baby monitor is on the 2.4ghz frequency"
    I don't think your baby monitor uses the typical Wifi channels, but rather a frequency spectrum which coincides with Wifi range. If that's the case the Wifi scanner will not be able to pick the signal from your baby monitor. (edited)
    Gr1zz1y89 Author
    Thank you everyone for your replies, very much appreciated. I've had a play around with the wifi channels etc so time will tell if that solves the issue. Will be contacting BT for a solution if not (and a refund if they can't provide a solution)
    dineshrav
    Gr1zz1y8913/06/2020 17:59

Thank you everyone for your replies, very much appreciated. I've had a …Thank you everyone for your replies, very much appreciated. I've had a play around with the wifi channels etc so time will tell if that solves the issue. Will be contacting BT for a solution if not (and a refund if they can't provide a solution)

Did you solve the issue by changing channels on 2.4 network?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants