Will the PS5 be Sony's last major console? "We will explore expanding our 1st party titles to the PC platform"

Posted 29th Aug
“I actually don’t know,” said Ryan when asked if the PS5 will be Sony's last major console. - Jim Ryan (President and CEO) 2019

Fast forward to today and Sony's latest financial report they are exploring expanding their 1st party titles to the PC platform.

With first-party Sony titles like Horizon Zero Dawn already on PC and the upcoming MLB The Show going to Xbox. Are we looking at a future where Microsoft continues to release Xbox consoles while Sony moves their PlayStation ecosystem to other platforms and the PS5 will be the last major Sony console?

3534040-4PPHm.jpg3534040-TTVGI.jpg3534040-q9CY2.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Hey wasn’t there another very similar post about Xbox first thing this morning
42 Comments
Maybe, I don’t know
Hey wasn’t there another very similar post about Xbox first thing this morning
With all the PS4’s sold
In the world .... I very much doubt unless Microsoft Kicks butt
Yoshimitsu29/08/2020 18:52

Comment deleted

... What? Why is it a ridiculous thread?

Personal opinion on this thread: They would be silly to not make more with how many they sell.
CaptainZero29/08/2020 18:56

... What? Why is it a ridiculous thread?Personal opinion on this thread: …... What? Why is it a ridiculous thread?Personal opinion on this thread: They would be silly to not make more with how many they sell.

"I don't think Xbox Series X is our last console. I think we will do more consoles to make that great television play experience work and be delightful."

“there will be—for a long time—a world where people want to play on a television, and we're committed to that and we will deliver great console experiences". - head of Xbox Phil Spencer, June 2020.
Yoshimitsu29/08/2020 18:58

"I don't think Xbox Series X is our last console. I think we will do more …"I don't think Xbox Series X is our last console. I think we will do more consoles to make that great television play experience work and be delightful."“there will be—for a long time—a world where people want to play on a television, and we're committed to that and we will deliver great console experiences". - head of Xbox Phil Spencer, June 2020.

Right... But just because people have said that in the past, doesn't mean that will be reality.

You're quoting stuff before Halo got delayed (which will most likely hurt their day one sales etc) amongst other things... I think someone is massively butt-hurt.
Edited by: "CaptainZero" 29th Aug
CaptainZero29/08/2020 18:59

Right... But just because people have said that in the past, doesn't mean …Right... But just because people have said that in the past, doesn't mean that will be reality.You're quoting stuff before Halo got delayed and it hurt their day one sales etc amongst other things... I think someone is massively butt-hurt.

You have been called out loads of times for spreading misinformation about Xbox but you continue with your agenda. From games like Scorn and The Medium being exclusive on Series X and not playable on Xbox One, to the different architecture between next-gen and current-gen consoles meaning you cannot compare the teraflops on Project Lockhart with Xbox One X.

You ignore people when they correct you and continue with your false narratives.
Yoshimitsu29/08/2020 19:09

You have been called out loads of times for spreading misinformation about …You have been called out loads of times for spreading misinformation about Xbox but you continue with your agenda. From games like Scorn and The Medium being exclusive on Series X and not playable on Xbox One, to the different architecture between next-gen and current-gen consoles meaning you cannot compare the teraflops on Project Lockhart with Xbox One X.You ignore people when they correct you and continue with your false narratives.

What on Earth are you talking about? Called out loads of times? I don't go on this site often enough for that to even be remotely true.

Carry on being butthurt, Sony wins again.
CaptainZero29/08/2020 19:10

What on Earth are you talking about? Called out loads of times? I don't go …What on Earth are you talking about? Called out loads of times? I don't go on this site often enough for that to even be remotely true.Carry on being butthurt, Sony wins again.

Continue to like your own comments and posting memes mocking the Series X.
FUD. Give it up Yoshi.
Yoshimitsu29/08/2020 19:13

Continue to like your own comments and posting memes mocking the Series X. …Continue to like your own comments and posting memes mocking the Series X.

Shall do
CaptainZero29/08/2020 19:00

[Image]

How can you think series x is ugly. Its a very simplistic design. And it doesn't look like the old virgin WiFi router like ps5. You can make any rectangle shaped device large and it look like a fridge what's the point?
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 29th Aug
MonkeyMan9029/08/2020 19:29

How can you think series x is ugly. Its a very simplistic design. And it …How can you think series x is ugly. Its a very simplistic design. And it doesn't look like the old virgin WiFi router like ps5. You can make any rectangle shaped device large and it look like a fridge what's the point?

Because the Ps5 looks very futuristic and they cleverly implemented the 5 (V) design into it.

Opinions people. I'll take super WiFi router over a mini fridge or bin.
CaptainZero29/08/2020 19:36

Because the Ps5 looks very futuristic and they cleverly implemented the 5 …Because the Ps5 looks very futuristic and they cleverly implemented the 5 (V) design into it.Opinions people. I'll take super WiFi router over a mini fridge or bin.

And what else in your house looks futuristic? Or you captain kirk?
MonkeyMan9029/08/2020 19:39

And what else in your house looks futuristic? Or you captain kirk?

Learn to accept people can like things that you don't like.
CaptainZero29/08/2020 19:40

Learn to accept people can like things that you don't like.

Must just be the mature side of me thinking logically and not having a sore thumb in your room
MonkeyMan9029/08/2020 19:42

Must just be the mature side of me thinking logically and not having a …Must just be the mature side of me thinking logically and not having a sore thumb in your room

And to me, its a talking point when people come over and spot it who ain't into gaming and wonder what this futuristic looking device is.

All opinions my buddy.
News that Halo Infinite likely delayed to late 2021 has upset the Xbox fanboys I see lol.
Surely you just get both .. don’t call me Shirley
Jump_Out_Gang29/08/2020 21:24

Surely you just get both .. don’t call me Shirley

Exactly what I'm doing - Ps5 at launch, and a Series X 1-2 years later.
nah PlayStation will outlive the Xbox easily
Edited by: "Deluxe1" 29th Aug
Yoshimitsu29/08/2020 19:09

You have been called out loads of times for spreading misinformation about …You have been called out loads of times for spreading misinformation about Xbox but you continue with your agenda. From games like Scorn and The Medium being exclusive on Series X and not playable on Xbox One, to the different architecture between next-gen and current-gen consoles meaning you cannot compare the teraflops on Project Lockhart with Xbox One X.You ignore people when they correct you and continue with your false narratives.

Not trying to argue but I don’t think that comment about The Medium is factually correct and I’ve seen you make reference to that a few times. It will be playable on Xbox One.
Sony allowing PC versions of first party titles is the best way to let those loyal devs make some extra money I suppose, We aren't going to be seeing God of War on Xbox.

As others have said, given how Microsoft are moving forward with gamepass and such it's a thousand times more likely the XSX will be their last console, in the classic sense at least.
Krooner29/08/2020 22:38

Sony allowing PC versions of first party titles is the best way to let …Sony allowing PC versions of first party titles is the best way to let those loyal devs make some extra money I suppose, We aren't going to be seeing God of War on Xbox. As others have said, given how Microsoft are moving forward with gamepass and such it's a thousand times more likely the XSX will be their last console, in the classic sense at least.

But also - its Sony's way to get PC players interested in the Ps5 - the sequels will be Ps5 exclusive for some time.
marrowcat29/08/2020 20:33

News that Halo Infinite likely delayed to late 2021 has upset the Xbox …News that Halo Infinite likely delayed to late 2021 has upset the Xbox fanboys I see lol.

Marrowcat 25/08/2020 15:02 I think this is after the rumour of 343i dropping the Xbox One version of Infinite. The Xbox fanboys are going crazy on Twitter.

"Likely and "Rumour"

REALITY

41788240-Ww7Le.jpg
Edited by: "shasnir" 30th Aug
shasnir30/08/2020 01:22

Marrowcat 25/08/2020 15:02 I think this is after the rumour of 343i …Marrowcat 25/08/2020 15:02 I think this is after the rumour of 343i dropping the Xbox One version of Infinite. The Xbox fanboys are going crazy on Twitter."Likely and "Rumour"REALITY [Image]

Two different rumours haha. The latest one is that it’s unlikely that Halo will release until later in the year. They’ve only just acquired someone that can fix the mess they already have.
The twitter quote doesn’t disprove what I’ve said on this thread. lol
Deluxe129/08/2020 22:08

nah PlayStation will outlive the Xbox easily

I've been thinking about this and looking at possible comparisons. If we look at the recorded video industry for example we can see that although the majority of people now stream there is a market for blue rays and surprisingly dvds still. I see Xbox becoming to coin a phrase used before the "Netflix" of video games. Their infrastructure to stream games is immense having used it it.
Xbox in my eyes will become the name in gaming, it will not be a console but I can see it being build into other products (TV's, whatever comes after Blu-ray).
I think we will see TV boxes with Xbox included on within the next few years.
The real question is, will the Dreamcast be SEGA’s last console?
joeydeacon29/08/2020 22:32

Not trying to argue but I don’t think that comment about The Medium is f …Not trying to argue but I don’t think that comment about The Medium is factually correct and I’ve seen you make reference to that a few times. It will be playable on Xbox One.

"This technological concept is one that we’ve been looking into for many years at Bloober Team, but one that in all honesty was impossible before this current gen of hardware. Only with newer tech built into the Xbox Series X and in PCs are we able to fully render two distinct worlds at the same time. This crucially also enables us to switch instantly between locations – which I hope will be a game-changer for the horror genre.

Q: In addition to benefiting from the power and performance of Xbox Series X for quicker load times etc. what Xbox Series X features were you most excited to explore leveraging in the development of The Medium?

A: The SSD and how it allows for no noticeable loading times is certainly a big deal for us. Thanks to it, you can create a more cinematic and atmospheric experience, and keep the player immersed in the game – with no immersion-breaking loading screens.

Also, the sheer power of the CPU and GPU lets you go a bit crazy with your gameplay ideas, and we believe the new hardware will quickly change how games are being designed.

Q: How do you expect fans of The Medium will respond to playing it on Xbox Series X with these enhancements?

A: I hope they will love it Unlike many cross-gen titles revealed so far, The Medium is a next-gen only game. We don’t have any porting plans for current-gen consoles, so the Xbox Series X will offer the experience we always meant for the game."

@joeydeacon we have known since May that you will have to upgrade to the Series X if you want to play The Medium and Scorn. Don't believe the fanboys that are spreading lies that all these games are playable on Xbox One.
packard29/08/2020 18:48

With all the PS4’s soldIn the world .... I very much doubt unless M …With all the PS4’s soldIn the world .... I very much doubt unless Microsoft Kicks butt

CaptainZero29/08/2020 18:56

... What? Why is it a ridiculous thread?Personal opinion on this thread: …... What? Why is it a ridiculous thread?Personal opinion on this thread: They would be silly to not make more with how many they sell.

These companies lose money on console hardware especially at the beginning, but make it on the software side. Xbox are starting to stream as it’s more profitable, to use 3rd party hardware and get a subscription.

I have said many times both these new consoles are not fit for 4k @ 60fps, yes there are games what will buy a lot won’t.. the gpu’s are mid range at best.
Bargainhead30/08/2020 13:29

These companies lose money on console hardware especially at the …These companies lose money on console hardware especially at the beginning, but make it on the software side. Xbox are starting to stream as it’s more profitable, to use 3rd party hardware and get a subscription. I have said many times both these new consoles are not fit for 4k @ 60fps, yes there are games what will buy a lot won’t.. the gpu’s are mid range at best.

It will mainly be the exclusive games that take full advantage of the hardware - other cross platform games and in particular competitive shooters will probably be 1800p 60fps or 1440p 120fps.

Though its interesting because, most console players play on a TV - usually a 4K one nowadays - so all this talk of 120fps is bizarre as... they will have 60hz screens.

I know the 120fps talk has mainly come from Xbox side.

I'd be happy for native 1800p 60fps on all games.
Bargainhead30/08/2020 13:29

the gpu’s are mid range at best.

Hasn't that always been the case though? Hardly any company would price the console out of the market by putting in the very latest GPU, a comparable mid range RTX2070 alone costs £400. Are you expecting RTX 2080 TI's or something for your money?
cicobuff30/08/2020 13:45

Hasn't that always been the case though? Hardly any company would price …Hasn't that always been the case though? Hardly any company would price the console out of the market by putting in the very latest GPU, a comparable mid range RTX2070 alone costs £400. Are you expecting RTX 2080 TI's or something for your money?

That’s my point, think about op post we might not see another console if streaming takes off, Even selling consoles at £500 they will lose money. we will be talking 5+ years as consoles normally last longer. no I don’t expect a to see a 2080ti in a console. Even that can’t play all games ultra at 4k 60fps.. if you took everything I said in context instead of one line.

personally looking forward to seeing what a 3080 can do. I think the 3090 is going to be to much for me to justify spending that amount..
CaptainZero30/08/2020 13:38

It will mainly be the exclusive games that take full advantage of the …It will mainly be the exclusive games that take full advantage of the hardware - other cross platform games and in particular competitive shooters will probably be 1800p 60fps or 1440p 120fps.Though its interesting because, most console players play on a TV - usually a 4K one nowadays - so all this talk of 120fps is bizarre as... they will have 60hz screens.I know the 120fps talk has mainly come from Xbox side.I'd be happy for native 1800p 60fps on all games.

Agree it will be exclusive and the odd mainstream. I think they will still look great.
One of my TVs does 100hz screen but in general they are 60Hz. It makes me lol how they are saying 8k ready They should sort out 4k 60fps first..
Bargainhead30/08/2020 14:21

Agree it will be exclusive and the odd mainstream. I think they will still …Agree it will be exclusive and the odd mainstream. I think they will still look great. One of my TVs does 100hz screen but in general they are 60Hz. It makes me lol how they are saying 8k ready They should sort out 4k 60fps first..

And let's not forget the price of an 8K TV is currently extortionate. I agree, they should just focus on 4K.
Bargainhead30/08/2020 14:15

That’s my point, think about op post we might not see another console if s …That’s my point, think about op post we might not see another console if streaming takes off, Even selling consoles at £500 they will lose money. we will be talking 5+ years as consoles normally last longer. no I don’t expect a to see a 2080ti in a console. Even that can’t play all games ultra at 4k 60fps.. if you took everything I said in context instead of one line.personally looking forward to seeing what a 3080 can do. I think the 3090 is going to be to much for me to justify spending that amount..

True, cloud gaming is an intriguing prospect that could even kill gaming PC's as the broadband backbone of the UK gradually increases
Yoshimitsu30/08/2020 13:20

"This technological concept is one that we’ve been looking into for many y …"This technological concept is one that we’ve been looking into for many years at Bloober Team, but one that in all honesty was impossible before this current gen of hardware. Only with newer tech built into the Xbox Series X and in PCs are we able to fully render two distinct worlds at the same time. This crucially also enables us to switch instantly between locations – which I hope will be a game-changer for the horror genre.Q: In addition to benefiting from the power and performance of Xbox Series X for quicker load times etc. what Xbox Series X features were you most excited to explore leveraging in the development of The Medium?A: The SSD and how it allows for no noticeable loading times is certainly a big deal for us. Thanks to it, you can create a more cinematic and atmospheric experience, and keep the player immersed in the game – with no immersion-breaking loading screens.Also, the sheer power of the CPU and GPU lets you go a bit crazy with your gameplay ideas, and we believe the new hardware will quickly change how games are being designed.Q: How do you expect fans of The Medium will respond to playing it on Xbox Series X with these enhancements?A: I hope they will love it Unlike many cross-gen titles revealed so far, The Medium is a next-gen only game. We don’t have any porting plans for current-gen consoles, so the Xbox Series X will offer the experience we always meant for the game."@joeydeacon we have known since May that you will have to upgrade to the Series X if you want to play The Medium and Scorn. Don't believe the fanboys that are spreading lies that all these games are playable on Xbox One.

Think MS might have a problems in their communications or development teams then..

41792077.jpg
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 30th Aug
joeydeacon30/08/2020 17:35

Think MS might have a problems in their communications or development …Think MS might have a problems in their communications or development teams then..[Image]

Obviously an error.
Post a comment
@
    Text