my daughter will be learning to drive soon

We are looking to buy a "cheap" and safe second hand car

What would you recommend?
Community Updates
New Comment

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Personally I'd avoid the 'typical' first cars, they're expensive to buy and even more to insure. Insuring my daughter on my wife's Mazda 2 is far more than on my Skoda Superb, despite mine being newer and more expensive. Even when I was shopping for a temporary car, a Mondeo was cheaper than a Focus or Fiesta.

Driving a bigger car might seem a bit daunting to new drivers, but apart from parking the size doesn't really affect things.
    Came here to say this. Avoid the usuals, go for the more unusual and insurance will be a lot cheaper.

It is based on risk and an 18yr old risk on say a VW Polo will be a lot higher than say a Passat as the stats for claims on a Polo will be infinitely more than on a Passat for that age group.
    No such thing as a cheap second hand car anymore tbh.
    Welcome to the scary world of getting your kids driving!
    Insurance is the key factor mostly, lowest Group possible.
    Popular choices of car are Toyota Aygo/Pug 107/Cit C1 - Ford Ka - Fiat Panda - Hyundai i10 - Kia Piccanto - VW Up/Skoda Citigo/Seat Mii.
    Check individual model/spec for its insurance group to avoid nasty surprises.
    If you're going cheap, good luck and be very careful as the market is full of poor quality cars due to the shortage of stock. As an example I sold a 10yr old Focus to a dealer today for pretty much waht I paid for it 4 yrs ago! Mad
    All those are decent recommendations. They're also cheap to tax as well.

My daughter is learning and has just bought a 13 year old KA. It's £35 a year tax. Only cost £480 for years insurance and she will hopefully be gaining no claims bonus for when she passes. That will hopefully help keep her insurance low as when they pass and she increases her mileage her insurance will likely substantially rise etc.
    Remember to take insurance costs into account.

Insurance for a learner can be ok, but it goes through the roof when they pass (because they are then able to drive without supervision and with passengers)

We found cars with things like autobraking were much cheaper to insure.
    Check insurance prices first.
    50517455-DcYyD.jpg
    Leaner as in slim?
    I have a VW up and its a good little car. I passed my test and didn't drive for a year and I purchased this car and was able to get straight in and drive it very easily it will just depend on insurance for her as a new driver you may have to add yourself to help reduce her cost.
    Just got my son insured on a 2010 vw polo. Insurance set me back over £2600! Definitely check insurance costs first.
    Wow
    My daughter passed her test 2 weeks after her 18th birthday this year. Insured her as the main driver on a 2008 VW Polo 1.2 with me as a named driver. We have multi car insurance with Admiral (so no black box either) and cost for 6 months, when yearly policy renews in September, was £432. So should be about £1k for full year.
    Couple of good points made on here. Odd big cars are sometimes a winner. Our first kids car was a Citroen Nemo mini people carrier. Grp 3 insurance.
    Also Old cars are often more expensive to insure than nearly new.
    If you want to go really left field, classic (40y+) are cheap to insure!
    My kid bought a Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 when he passed his test. 2016 plate (cost him £6,600 and insurance was about £1,100 fully comp. He was almost 20 years old so not sure if that made much difference to the insurance. (edited)
    As already said, nothing is cheap but you can’t beat a Kia Picanto for low insurance, good on fuel, and easy to service.
    Corsas and Fabias are great learning cars and there are loads of used ones around.

Be wary of smaller engine cars (1l) as a lack of torque makes them a bit more likely to punish mistakes with gears and the clutch. Also avoid cars with turbos because the lack of power if they don't kick in when pulling out at a roundabout/junction can make a learner panic.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants