Cheapest driving lesson

Posted 19th Feb 2023
How do I get cheapest driving lesson? Near Wembley London. So far all more than £25
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

23 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    PaulandPam
    Pay peanuts and you'll only get a monkey to teach you.
    I was a driving instructor for 30 years and believe me the cheap instructors are the chimps that can't keep pupils.
    Also avoid the big school names like BSM who are just overpriced companies with maybe a few decent instructors on their books it's better to choose an instructor by recommendation and experience than price. (edited)
    Mark_Hickman
    Considering driving lessons were £20-25 in 2005 when i passed, i think you're getting a good deal, my daughter paid 30 until recently when she passed and her griends are all paying 30-35 so i think 25 will be possibly a not so good instructor whos desperate (edited)
    Uridium
    Sounds about right to me.

Most driving schools will offer a discount if you block book. 5 for £100 etc
    Mendoza
    £25 back in the 90’s
    cis_groupie
    I paid £3.00 per lesson back in the 70s - I had a Saturday job to pay for it. Prices have obviously gone up a little bit since then..
    Change_Me
    just checked and surprised how expensive driving lessons are in london now back when i finished high school was like £15-18 an hour back in 2008-2010 same company charging £35/38 an hour (edited)
    slimy31
    I had one that would use part of the lesson to drop off the previous person and pick up the next one. For a one hour lesson it meant that at least half of it was a taxi service, and only half was actual private lesson. It quickly became apparent why he could only charge half the price of everyone else, when he didn't have to use his own time between students.

My next instructor was about double the price but I actually had a full hour of lesson.

Personally I'd say £25 for a lesson is very good given the market as it is (we can't find an instructor for my daughter at all).
    bozo007
    I think learning to drive like a taxi driver is a useful skill in an Uber world.
    Payyyyy
    £30 plus up north your getting a bargain for London!
    Toon_army
    Jesus christ is that the prices! I paid £80 for 10 in a block booking back in 2004 sure he only charged £10 a lesson but did the £80 for 10
    u664541
    I’m currently paying £38ph for lessons in SE (block booking only takes £1ph off btw). That’s about average.
    adhkarzf
    £25 is a bargain we're paying £30 for my son in East London and he's the cheapest we could find, my eldest already passed with him. Everyone else around here is at least £35 an hour
    HellriderUKDeals69
    We paid £40 for my son with the AA (South East), it was worth every penny in the end.
    MonkeyMan90
    You think that's expensive? That's a very very good price. I passed in 2008 and it was £20 per lesson then and that's in the north of England.
    TristanDeCoonha
    1985 I was paying £8 per hour. Allowing for all the price rises, £25 seems remarkably cheap. Especially for the area.
    Consider that a lot of car insurance has jumped 30% on renewals for no reason. Plus fuel. They have to eat as well.
    Wait until you've passed your test and bought your car. You could be looking atn£100+ per hour for a spanner monkey to work on it.
    As a comparison, how much does your carwash charge for their basic rinse and dry? Probably £7+ for 10 mins
    RandomUser42
    I paid £20 an hour (minimum 2 hour slots) 9 years ago in Scotland, your price seems reasonable as is.
    Just checked and the company I used now charges £38 an hour! (edited)
    Xippi
    Cheapest doesn't always mean best value. Find an instuctor by recomendation if you can
    GlitchFace
    Get as many hours as you can in with yourself teaching on quiet industrial estates and maybe consider automatics only? That will save you a few lessons.
    Anthony_Ricketts
    Automatic driving lessons
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants