Colour laser printer with cheapest compatible toner

Posted 13th Feb 2023
I'm looking for a new colour laser printer and want to know which make/model currently has the cheapest compatible ink? I've heard that Brother are good for this as they don't have a chip on the ink so that compatible inks can used. Is this still the case?

Many thanks for any advice in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    pekoz1
    I understand your question but you probably need to decide what features you need from the printer at the same time ....its going to be a combination of getting the right type of printer together with the low running costs you are looking for. Duplex/Wireless Networking/Duty Cycle (no of pages a month) The image drums are a large part of the cost in addition to the toner...

I do IT support for my brothers small estate agent chain ...at family rates...zero...

They have have some Black and White Brother multifunction lasers that have been going for years....but theyve used Oki and Xerox in the last 5-6 years.

These have aftermarket chips in the toner cartridges but are still about £11 a cartridge [ 8,000 pages (Black) 6,000 pages (Colours)] for a Xerox 6605DN bought in a set of 4. Xerox original toner will be around 10 times that....

So no the printer does have to be Brother (although I dont know too much about their current range) but yes you do have to cross reference the toner cost even for printers from the same manufacturer. Until compatible chips come out the toner price will be manufacturer only and extortionately high for a newish printer....
    VictorMeldrew Author
    Thanks very much for that. I'd not thought of factoring in the drum cost because I've had a dell c1760nw for the past 5 years and haven't had to change the drum on that.
    I'm after a colour printer although the majority of stuff I print is black and white. I think what I need to do then is just check the toner cost and drum cost for each printer I see to get an idea of different prices. I'd rather pay a bit more for the printer and less each time I buy toner.

I was thinking that there might have been a particular make that has cheaper compatible toners but it sounds like it's a bit more complicated than that!
    aLV426
    There are also other consumables - such as waste toner bottles that you need to factor in.
    I tried most makes & models over the years - they all have their pros & cons.
    ZanderKaneUK_
    I would suggest going onto a website like printerland and just playing with filters to see what options it must have and then cost the consumables for the top 3/4/5 printers. I have a black n white wifi enabled laser had for years. No chip in the toner to time out or other scum baggery. They have an app for your phone that makes printing labels and receipts a breeze. Does all I need. (edited)
    crjos
    Thanks for mentioning Printerland. Had a good chat with them this morning and have ordered myself a new printer, having given up fixing the old one.
    yorkie12
    You'll find the cheapest compatible toners , etc. on eBay. For my Brother colour laser a full set of toners varies between £35 to £40
    pekoz1
    @ZanderKaneUK_ advice on looking on Printerland is a good idea for searching out suitable printers and then cross checking the price of compatibles on ebay as @yorkie12 says.

Just remember that the number of pages quoted that a toner cartridge will print is at 5% ink coverage on a page. So for printed text that 5% figure maybe accurate..ish ......but start printing A4 photos (like an estate agent) and you are at 100% coverage ....so divide the quoted page counts by 20....ie the same toner will print a lot less.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants