Currys_clearance on Ebay: A strong warning

Posted 17th Aug 2021
A warning. Currys_clearance are now not giving timelines for refunds on warranties.

They do not answer the phone on 01636 595850 and you cannot speak to them on 0344 561 0000 numbers as that department doen't recognise the order numbers from the clearance section (they'd have to start with Eby and Currys PC World clearance orders don't).

I've been waiting a month since my laptop was confirmed as returned (one of the last messages from their customer service I had), have been given no timeline for my refund (which was confirmed in late July as being ready for issuing) and have been told my only recourse is writing a letter of complaint.

The laptop was just over 6 months into an alleged 12 month warranty.

It's the very worst of customer service.

Ebay won't step in as it's past 6 months (I don't get the feeling they would in any case).

I've noticed feedback creeping in on ebay saying the same thing, so it's not isolated.

Be warned, it's not a good sign.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

34 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    GreekJesus
    I thought it was common knowledge on here that Currys customer service is terrible
    bigwheels
    Claim with paypal.
    I have when ebay have not helped.
    JamesB83
    So basically their online customer service is as terrible as in their stores, good to know.
    Anonymous User
    Always bad but during COVID it’s got worse and they use COVID as an excuse. Try the Dixon’s Carphone CEO team via ceoemail and you will have to wait but will get a reply.
    CharlieCheeze
    If you used Credit of Debit card, open either a chargeback (quicker) or Section 75 claim. I've had to do these things in the past when a retailer can't give a timeline of a refund. So long as you can prove you've been offered one, then leave it to the card company.
    tcf
    eslick17/08/2021 16:32

Always bad but during COVID it’s got worse and they use COVID as an e …Always bad but during COVID it’s got worse and they use COVID as an excuse. Try the Dixon’s Carphone CEO team via ceoemail and you will have to wait but will get a reply.

Alexander.Baldock@DixonsCarphone.com

Worked for me within a couple of days when Curry's customer service blanked me.
    Exconnaught Author
    To be honest I just thought it worth flagging this situation. It seems I'm not alone if you browse to their eBay page and look at the negative feedback there's about 3 or 4 identical stories there within the last month. (edited)
    michelle.hammouch
    Same here as for now day 3 and passed between Samsung and curry’s like a yo-yo , insulted me over my surname and postcode which I’ve had for 38years in an email NOT the callback to arrange for my tv to be fixed denying the eBay order number yet I also had curry’s 2 emails and order for the delivery date 5 days after placing my order!! I’m disabled and trailed to their store to speak with a manager who also cdnt get through and had NO ACCESS to the eBay stores computer as I took all my evidence of the tv they apparently have no knowledge of. Do they really think I would keep ringing both Samsung who promised to arrange for an inspection then backed out of that as wrong information only to keep giving me numbers to ring for the good of my health 3 days running. I’m on fentanyl for spinal nerve damage so being disabled it’s an utter disgrace and who can we report them to ??? 
    JamesB83
    Exconnaught17/08/2021 19:29

To be honest I just thought it worth flagging this situation. It seems I'm …To be honest I just thought it worth flagging this situation. It seems I'm not alone if you browse to their eBay page and look at the negative feedback there's about 3 or 4 identical stories there within the last month.

Nice avatar, love that album
    michelle.hammouch
    Multiple red flag alerts as I said if they don’t ring within 24 hours I’d go public to warn people about their lousy service to customers as I’ve bought multiple electronic items but never again. The in store staff were sympathetic as I had the proof on me . They take your money but don’t honour agreements. Your receipts useless as they declare you’re not on their computer despite emails for the delivery date from them .
    darkovo
    I bought from normal curry’s website, sent back product, was delivered to them. No auto refund after maximum days it says the refund is processed, I had to call them to complain. Person said there was a problem with the refund auto process and they’ve had to put it through as a manual request, which takes another week!
    So I finally got refunded after over a month, but is a shambles I had to chase it up.
    They’ll probably be bought out by some other company before long.
    M.B.L.
    I had similar issues with one of two returns, some months back now, eBay finally stepped-in and refunded me, take your business elsewhere.
    JordanFa
    As per everyone else, speak to eBay - they'll see it's delivered and step in.
    Exconnaught Author
    They have a time expiry on stepping in sadly. So when it comes to warranties that can run years you run afoul of that and eBay don't get involved.
    Feargal
    They tried to deliver my laptop order to an address in another country, still do not know how they managed this...
    gazdoubleu
    Hope the whole group goes to the wall. Not a company I will miss. Bring back Comet!

js-confusion.livejournal.com/
    paul_Bergman
    Hey Guys
    Just a quick update, After writing to them numerous times and threatening them to dispute the charge in case they are not letting me know in 24hrs an exact date when ill get refunded, they refunded me yesterday the full amount. 8 working days after return instead of 5. Not too bad....
    darkovo
    RamB201026/02/2022 15:50

I have the same issue and its been over 3 weeks still not refunded. Any …I have the same issue and its been over 3 weeks still not refunded. Any ideas on how to chase this up and get refund please

I had to call their phone number
    Exconnaught Author
    GreekJesus17/08/2021 15:53

I thought it was common knowledge on here that Currys customer service is …I thought it was common knowledge on here that Currys customer service is terrible

Yes, I think this is something new though.
    The customer service are actually telling people that management are telling them there's no timeline for refunds and no recourse.

Bad customer service is one thing, actively announcing refunds aren't coming as a statement and handing out addresses for written complaints is another!
    Exconnaught Author
    CharlieCheeze17/08/2021 17:10

If you used Credit of Debit card, open either a chargeback (quicker) or …If you used Credit of Debit card, open either a chargeback (quicker) or Section 75 claim. I've had to do these things in the past when a retailer can't give a timeline of a refund. So long as you can prove you've been offered one, then leave it to the card company.

Considered this. Probably my next step, actually. I always find it tricky when you've been told a refund is coming. But yes, thanks, that was my next step.
    Exconnaught Author
    tcf17/08/2021 17:55

Alexander.Baldock@DixonsCarphone.comWorked for me within a couple of days …Alexander.Baldock@DixonsCarphone.comWorked for me within a couple of days when Curry's customer service blanked me.

That's good advice. I will try it.
    paul_Bergman
    I am emcoutering the same issue .
    I returned an item 8 days ago . being told refund will be processed within 5 working days. its now 6.
    Contacted them about it , the answer was shocking :"Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to specify an accurate date of when you should receive your refund however, we want to assure you that we are working to resolve this as promptly as we can."
    So here we go , The headache has started....
    I just emailed the above email and got a response that they investigating, ..... I think to invetigate a murder will take less time than their investigation....
    RamB2010
    darkovo17/08/2021 22:24

I bought from normal curry’s website, sent back product, was delivered to t …I bought from normal curry’s website, sent back product, was delivered to them. No auto refund after maximum days it says the refund is processed, I had to call them to complain. Person said there was a problem with the refund auto process and they’ve had to put it through as a manual request, which takes another week!So I finally got refunded after over a month, but is a shambles I had to chase it up.They’ll probably be bought out by some other company before long.

I have the same issue and its been over 3 weeks still not refunded. Any ideas on how to chase this up and get refund please
    RamB2010
    darkovo26/02/2022 15:59

I had to call their phone number

Do you currys clearance ebay phone number please? I communicate only on ebay messages and its clearly not working. Thanks
    Helpful567
    darkovo17/08/2021 22:24

I bought from normal curry’s website, sent back product, was delivered to t …I bought from normal curry’s website, sent back product, was delivered to them. No auto refund after maximum days it says the refund is processed, I had to call them to complain. Person said there was a problem with the refund auto process and they’ve had to put it through as a manual request, which takes another week!So I finally got refunded after over a month, but is a shambles I had to chase it up.They’ll probably be bought out by some other company before long.

Bought from currys website before xmas

Returned the item to store for a refund (found a better deal online via hotukdeals)

The money was refunded to my credit card without delay or problems
    darkovo
    RamB201012/03/2022 17:24

Do you currys clearance ebay phone number please? I communicate only on …Do you currys clearance ebay phone number please? I communicate only on ebay messages and its clearly not working. Thanks

I didn’t buy from the clearance eBay store (mentioned in my initial post). The op also said they’ve tried the phone numbers without getting anywhere. Sorry, I can’t help any further. (edited)
    Skelly2345
    currys clearance are making me issue a chargeback through my bank, as they otherwise won't issue a refund
    GordonGekko
    Hi. Wondered if this was resolved for you?

I bought a laptop and it failed after 10 months so sent it back to curry’s clearance. They confirmed the return but said they cannot refund without raising a financial dispute through my card company. I didn’t pay via PayPal but via Amex.

Amex have told me as it’s over 120 days I cannot create a dispute. So I’m now stuck with no one able to do anything!!
    RamB2010
    Write to their CEO, someone will reply and help you to get your money back. Inspite of writing to their CEO it took me months before i got my money back
    GNKelly07
    I've also just returned something to curry's_clearance.
    They sent me an email stating the item has been succesfully recieved and processed but stated
    "Unfortunately, as your order is over 90 days and due to eBay Managed Payment, our refund isn't processing correctly through our system.

Could you please open a payment dispute directly with the financial institution used at the time payment for your purchase? "

Raised a case with paypal.
    Now my account at ebay has been permanently suspended due to - "Pattern of returning items that are different from the original item sent to you."
    This suspension came immediatly after raising the case. I have not returned an item to Ebay in at least 3 years. And it certainly was the original item.
    mchu6am4
    Similar experience - purchased a washing machine which is faulty on first use - they won't repair and we've got rid of our old working machine, with no option now but to purchase a new one probably at an inflated price!!!

Another horrible business run like sports direct!!!! (edited)
    michelle.hammouch
    I purchased a Samsung tv through curry’s eBay store on 5th November 2020 ,supposedly 5 year warranty non existent as trying to get it fixed since Monday and passed buck between them and Samsung!!!! They’re excuses they don’t recognise the order number on your eBay receipt and I took all my proof down to curry’s to speak with a manager but he cdnt access their different computers , despite the emails from pc world/ curry’s and their numbers from THEIR EMAIL . I’m disabled on morphine so 9 phone calls later 1 visit at their store and I’m stuck with a faulty tv they’ve reckoned to ring to arrange a swap hasn’t yet happened so DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEIR CURRYS EBAY STORE as you can’t get anything sorted out, on an email they questioned my surname and postcode which I find racist and I’ve lived at the same address for over 38 years. I’ve never felt so insulted in all my life. Just so they don’t have to do their job regarding warranties. I will update you on whether or not I get that “ within 24 hours “, phone call to arrange pick up but I will never use their eBay store again as your receipt isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on !!!!
    michelle.hammouch
    Further to my last comment, I got a confirmation email stating I had indeed bought a Samsung tv with them and to ring curry’s number, give a serial number to organise a repair . I forwarded this email as proof only for the tech department to declare my warranty was expired and it would cost me £90+ cost if parts tax etc which would amount to more than buying another one. So this is despite them reckoning I had no warranty now yet the eBay dept told me to get a repair arranged or my tv swapped and suddenly they sprang that in despite declaring they couldn’t see my details so DO NOT BUY OR TRUST THE RECEIPT YOU HAVE  because it’s not worth the paper it’s printed on . I did register my tv like all electronic devices I’ve bought but they didn’t register it with Samsung I’d done this as they had no record of me so proof of shenanigans a 21/2 year old tv that’s worthless and out of pocket £349.00 thanks curry’s for nothing. 
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants