eBay item removed after purchase!

Posted 6th Dec 2019
Has any1 bought an item on eBay and then received an email from eBay stating...

'We're writing to let you know that we've removed an item you recently won due to concerns with the seller's account'

Have I been done over by a dodgy seller? Will I still receive the item? Have I lost my money?

Any advice would b appreciated. Cheers!
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    FreeDeal
    If you don't receive the item, eBay will refund you.
    Haircut_100
    I've had that before. It was from an account that was selling Echo 2nd gens at a bargain price so I bought one. It turns out that someone's account had been hacked and there were no Echos for sale so eBay removed the listing, messaged me just like they did with you, and then refunded the money. (edited)
    Phsycronix
    Corner_taken_quickly06/12/2019 09:56

**UPDATE** Just gone back on my emails, Googled the address of the seller …**UPDATE** Just gone back on my emails, Googled the address of the seller and it doesn't exist. What do u think that means?... fake account maybe?

Could be anything really. Fake/hacked account/counterfeit goods etc. Doesn't really matter though as Ebay were on to them and have told you already so - win win. I've had it happen before and it was an instant refund. No mess, no fuss. Have you even checked to see if your funds have already been refunded?

Not entirely unrelated (as they own the company anyway) but I had a similar situation on Gumtree where I received an Email telling me the seller of an item I was ready to buy from had 'issues' and was told not to proceed with the purchase. It's good that they are vigilant as the sale didn't seem 'dodgy' to me at all...
    deals69
    Yup happened to me last time. Ebay or paypal will get you the money back however I cannot remember if it required my input or if it want automatic
    Misslovely
    I once sold free vouchers for 99p and that got removed and money was automatically removed so don't worry. (edited)
    Anonymous User
    Happened to me once ebay refunded the money straight away didn’t even have to ask for it
    Phsycronix
    Corner_taken_quickly06/12/2019 11:30

No refund yet! eBay said... 'Since you've already paid for the item, you …No refund yet! eBay said... 'Since you've already paid for the item, you don't need to do anything else. If your item hasn't arrived yet, it should arrive soon. If it doesn't, then you'll want to open a case in our Resolution Centre'

That's odd. Sounds like a "generic" Email response. If they are on the case, you shouldn't need to do anything but I guess; for peace-of-mind; you could do a "live chat" and ask if you need to do anything? If it's already recognised as 'dodgy' then I can't see why you'd receive ANY item - therefore an automatic refund should apply.

Up to you really. Are we talking mega-bucks here? Are you happy to wait until after the date specified or do you NEED that money for something else? Normally, Ebay won't tell you what the problem was for; as they put it; "security reasons" but they would at least tell you if a refund was already being actioned or if you have to do as instructed and wait - then apply via a "case."
    Corner_taken_quickly Author
    Phsycronix06/12/2019 11:40

That's odd. Sounds like a "generic" Email response. If they are on the …That's odd. Sounds like a "generic" Email response. If they are on the case, you shouldn't need to do anything but I guess; for peace-of-mind; you could do a "live chat" and ask if you need to do anything? If it's already recognised as 'dodgy' then I can't see why you'd receive ANY item - therefore an automatic refund should apply.Up to you really. Are we talking mega-bucks here? Are you happy to wait until after the date specified or do you NEED that money for something else? Normally, Ebay won't tell you what the problem was for; as they put it; "security reasons" but they would at least tell you if a refund was already being actioned or if you have to do as instructed and wait - then apply via a "case."

Nah, not a lot of money spent. I suppose I'll just wait to see if it arrives nxt week. If not, I'll contact eBay
    Haircut_100
    Corner_taken_quickly06/12/2019 11:30

No refund yet! eBay said... 'Since you've already paid for the item, you …No refund yet! eBay said... 'Since you've already paid for the item, you don't need to do anything else. If your item hasn't arrived yet, it should arrive soon. If it doesn't, then you'll want to open a case in our Resolution Centre'

That's perfectly normal. What has happened is that the account of the seller has probably been *suspended* pending further investigation due to a suspected hacking of the account or fraudulent activities. eBay will look in to things and then take it from there. You should just assume that it was a fraudulent listing, you won't be receiving any goods, so just sit back and wait for a few days or a week or so and eBay will refund you. It's OK, you can just chill and let eBay go through the process, relax.
    lifeis4living06/12/2019 16:40

Yea I got the same email etc today

Dodgy sellers taking advantage of the Xmas shopping rush I reckon...
    FreeDeal06/12/2019 08:51

If you don't receive the item, eBay will refund you.

Thanks for the feedback, no despatch notice yet, expected delivery is 10th-12th, so I guess I'll have to wait and see..
    **UPDATE** Just gone back on my emails, Googled the address of the seller and it doesn't exist. What do u think that means?... fake account maybe?
    Phsycronix06/12/2019 11:02

Could be anything really. Fake/hacked account/counterfeit goods etc. …Could be anything really. Fake/hacked account/counterfeit goods etc. Doesn't really matter though as Ebay were on to them and have told you already so - win win. I've had it happen before and it was an instant refund. No mess, no fuss. Have you even checked to see if your funds have already been refunded?Not entirely unrelated (as they own the company anyway) but I had a similar situation on Gumtree where I received an Email telling me the seller of an item I was ready to buy from had 'issues' and was told not to proceed with the purchase. It's good that they are vigilant as the sale didn't seem 'dodgy' to me at all...

No refund yet! eBay said... 'Since you've already paid for the item, you don't need to do anything else. If your item hasn't arrived yet, it should arrive soon. If it doesn't, then you'll want to open a case in our Resolution Centre'
    Haircut_10006/12/2019 12:25

That's perfectly normal. What has happened is that the account of the …That's perfectly normal. What has happened is that the account of the seller has probably been *suspended* pending further investigation due to a suspected hacking of the account or fraudulent activities. eBay will look in to things and then take it from there. You should just assume that it was a fraudulent listing, you won't be receiving any goods, so just sit back and wait for a few days or a week or so and eBay will refund you. It's OK, you can just chill and let eBay go through the process, relax.

lifeis4living
    Corner_taken_quickly06/12/2019 08:56

Thanks for the feedback, no despatch notice yet, expected delivery is …Thanks for the feedback, no despatch notice yet, expected delivery is 10th-12th, so I guess I'll have to wait and see..

Yea I got the same email etc today
    Satan_Claws
    To be fair to some sellers I have had items "removed" but they have still arrived. The only thing I couldn't do was leave feedback.
    louiselouise
    I saw a listing recently where the item ended at around £80 bids. The seller cancelled the auction early and re-listed at Buy It Now £800! (Feedback confirms this).
's avatar
Top Merchants