energy saving - insulating a kettle

Posted 13th Nov 2022
As anyone who has accidently touched a kettle while boiling will tell you, the damned thing is jolly warm.
So logically that means heat is escaping to the atmosphere when in fact it should be staying in the water.
Plastic kettles are never as hot as metal versions, so it would seem that they are more resitant to convecting heat, but there are the plastic arguements regarding taste and environment..
In these modern times of energy conservation, it is surprising that an insulated kettle is not on offer to the consumer.
So. Has anyone ever made a jacket for a kettle? If so, from what? Neoprene seems like a good start as it can be cut to shape without looking too crap. My Nana used to have the most ugly hand knitted tea cosies, and they did the job for the teapot (but then she also had a knitted spare toilet roll cover)..
Or is there a scientific reason why they would not work or exist? We'll ignore the conspiracy theory of the energy companies buying all the design patents.
**Edit**.
I do not intend to keep the water warm with a view to coming back to it later. My concern is of the loss of heat, and subsequent expense, during the boiling process.
I only add what need to use.
Community Updates
New Comment

35 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    A cheaper way to boil water is to change the atmospheric pressure, however the cost involved versus the energy used is the reason why insulated kettles are not a thing. With electric costing 28p/kWh boiling a kettle would be less than a penny. Insulating the kettle would make no financial difference to your bill. Changing the pressure at which it boils would reduce the amount of electrical energy required to bring the same amount of water to the boil, however we are talking fractions of fractions of a penny here and the cost of the equipment required would far outweigh the costs & convenience
    Author
    Luckily I live near the top of a hill, so perhaps that works in my favour
    This is the sort of answer I can get my head around. It was just strange (in my head) that it didn't exist as an item
    If really concerned, only boil the kettle in a room that you would normally heat, and only during times when you would occupy that room.
    This should drop your comfort / central heating bill by an infinitesimally small amount, and as you say:
    whatever the sum, it all adds up.
    Author
    But what of Summer time?
    The only reason you would make an insulated kettle is if you wanted to keep the water warm, because of the speed a kettle boils it would virtually no effect on the actual boiling of the water. It is far more efficient to only boil as much water as you actually need, buy a Breville hot cup dispenser if you want to save energy/money.
    Sounds dangerous, if you want to keep the water warm, use a flask
    Why would you need the heat stay in for such a long time on a kettle? The whole idea is use enough water for the drinks you are making and then done until the next time. (edited)
    Author
    It is not for keeping it in for future use, it is to avoid unnecessary loss when boiling (edited)
    [deleted]
    Author
    Again, my concern is for loss during boiling, not about coming back to it in an hour (edited)
    Insulating your kettle won't change the wattage used to heat it. So I struggle to see the validity of the question to be honest.
    Author
    Perhaps I didn't explain it as well as I thought.
    Heat is being lost in the boiling process. That costs money. To avoid the waste is to avoid the loss.
    Surely with the heat retained the water would boil faster.
    It has been many years since my physics lessons, so perhaps someone with current knowledge could replace what an old man has forgotten
    Author
    This is just one of those late night thoughts which just stick in the mind and go nowhere. Obviously I am over thinking something, but now the idea is stuck there it is bugging the crap out of me, like that tune you can never name
    You mean the song called Polly Put The Kettle On 
    Sounds like a good idea, I'm guessing the saving would previously been pretty small, and the cost of the kettle would increase, so it wasn't worth it - but now?
    I love the question, I think in order to get a proper answer we would need someone who actually fully understands the issue. Eg physicist with a manufacturing insight.
    i think the answer has been given pretty clearly here already.
    Insulating a kettle would do nothing
    this thread has made me laugh so much. insulating a kettle to save energy, lol
    Author
    You know when you have a late night, or drunken thought that just will not go away, especially a simple one?
    Yeah this was it.
    Seemed such a simple question. After all, heat loss, money, take another mouthful of beer, etc. But obviously I waa not alone in my thought, but I am beyond caring about being laughed at.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants