Europe car rental 2023

Posted 8th Mar 2023
Hi all,

I'm looking to rent a mid size hatchback that fits me and the family. Will be from Kefalonia (Greece) international airport. I'm fairly tall so need something to fit me comfortably such as Peugeot 308 or larger, ideally something like a Seat Arona.

Last two weeks of August, surprise, surprise prices are £1000+. Usually I go with Avis because of the professionalism and zero faff as long as you bring the car back full of fuel.

Anyone got any feedback on other places they've rented from that are more value for money? Car rental prices still are a nightmare and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Xippi
    Ooof! That's a lot. I know car hire prices have been bonkers over the past 12-18 months due to the pandemic and supply issues. I've seen them fall in Spain and France but don't know what's normal in Greece. Your point about dealing with a quality company is well made and valid. I nearly always use a broker site such as DiscoverCars, Carjet, Travelsupermarket etc and can usually get a hire for cheaper that I would going direct. You can usually filter the hire companies on the broker site. I also usually book a cancellable hire in good time and then revisit regularly running up to the actual dates. thepostie has a good suggestion about local forums. Don't forget to review fuel policy and to take out a 3rd party CDW policy
    thepostie
    Might be worth going on TripAdvisor and asking on the Kefalonia forum. Sometimes there's some decent local companies that don't oversell the insurances, add ons, etc.
    Isaac_McCafferty
    Is there an exact reason you need to hire?

Greek public transport we don't normally find too bad so cope with a shuttle to the resort and buses everywhere else
    MildmanneredCalvin Author
    Yeah I will be in Argostoli, Airbnb Want to go around the island.
    MonkeyMan90
    Based on that price I'd wait until you got out there and hire one from a local place near the hotel
    u664541
    ….and don’t forget, buy car rental excess insurance in UK.
    Yep always do
    Mendoza
    rentalcars .com if I get another discount code from them, you’re welcome to it
    Thank you sir, great shout.
    Nad_84
    Just checked sky scanner for 17th - 31st August.

Peugeot 208 - £825
    Hyundai i30 -£852
    208 is too small. 308 might just be OK. i30 is decent 👌🏻
's avatar
Top Merchants