Google photos free storage...????

Posted 15th Jun 2023
Does any of the Google phones offer free unlimited photo uploads at original quality...?
I'm at 199.99GB so next plan is 2Tb for £80... thinking if it's better to buy an old Pixel for less ££ and benefit from free storage for photos...

Thank you!
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

Categories

26 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    MonkeyMan90
    Pixel 7
    There is no unlimited storage, all photos use storage according to their upload quality.

Pixel 6
    There is no unlimited storage, all photos use storage according to their upload quality.

Pixel 3a-5
    You can choose to back up your photos and videos either in Storage saver quality (previously named high quality) or in original quality. Photos and videos backed up in Storage saver quality from Pixel 3a–5 are unlimited and cost $0. Photos and videos backed up in original quality count towards your Google Account storage. Learn how to change your upload size and learn more about storage plans

Pixel 3
    You get unlimited storage in original quality at no charge for all photos and videos backed up to Google Photos from Pixel 3 until 31 Jan 2022. Photos and videos backed up on or before that date will remain in original quality at no charge. After 31 January 2022, new photos and videos will be backed up in Storage saver quality (previously named high quality) at no charge. Photos and videos backed up in original quality will count towards your Google Account storage.

Pixel 2
    You get unlimited storage in original quality at no charge for all photos and videos backed up to Google Photos from Pixel 2 until 16 January 2021. Photos and videos backed up on or before that date will remain in original quality at no charge. After 16 January 2021, new photos and videos will be backed up in Storage saver quality (previously named high quality) at no charge. Photos and videos backed up in original quality will count towards your Google Account storage.

Pixel (2016)
    You get unlimited storage in original quality at no charge. You won’t be able to back up in Storage saver quality (previously named high quality)
    Deedie
    yes

i bought an original pixel a few weeks ago for this purpose

works perfectly
    Decoded
    My wife has this phone too, but the battery is getting bad in it due to its age. I guess it's an old phone now.
    MicroManaged
    So you have to transfer photos to the old pixel or can you use the app on current phone so long as an ultd pixel is attached to the account?
    bhaskarsa
    I think you have to transfer the photos
's avatar
Top Merchants