Graphics card query.

Posted 22nd Apr 2023
I currently have an Asus Rog strix 3070ti OC 8gb. Paired with an 5700x. I game at 1440p on Asus qhd 165hz monitor. Varied games from FPS to racing and a bit of flight sim. I don't appear to have any issues at the moment with stuttering ect.

I can get £461 in credit from CEX for it or £400 In cash.

Would you think this would be a good time to trade in and buy a card with more VRam. I would not have to put too much to it to make the jump to a 4070 or a
6800xt. Or should I hold off to see if the prices drop on the latest gen cards and hope I still get a decent price for my 3070ti

Any thoughts appreciated
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    EndlessWaves
    If you're not chasing the best graphics then I'd always be conservative about upgrading.

Game requirements are set based on the cards in use so the less the average gamer upgrades the better the average game will run on older/slower hardware.
    ripkord
    God dammit Garry now I’m looking at the 4070.
    Garry_Muir Author
    Lol sorry mate. What have I started
    ripkord
    4070Ti or 4070 - think 4070 is what about 15 - 20% faster? To me that’s not worth it, but for you it might be. How much extra you needing to put down? Appreciate the lure of new card as I’m in more or less the same boat - but can’t help but feel we’d be better saving our cash!
    Garry_Muir Author
    I was planning on keeping this a for few years. Then when the price of am5 drops look to make the jump and then purchase a new GPU.

However, I'm repeatedly reading about how 8gb VRam is not enough for upcoming titles. Dunno if that applies to 1440p gaming though.

I reckon I could pick up a similar performing 6800xt for roughly the same price that has more VRam and see me alright for the next few years. Then again I should wait for the 7800xt and see what happens then.
    PS5
    Why wouldn't you sell elsewhere for more?
    Garry_Muir Author
    Looking at sold prices on eBay £400 - £450 seems like to be the going rate and new 4070 is £550.

What do you think it's worth ?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants