MyProtein Price Rant! Inflation!?

Posted 26th Dec 2021
MyProtein Price Rant!

Keep getting their emails of new discount codes and exclusive codes / promos so have checked out what the offers then transpires to be - and it's a pure marketing gimmick.

The today price using promo code "BOXING" which was sent as exclusive. "upto 80% off sale and free delivery" with the website itself advertising via code "XMAS" same offer but no free delivery.

I'm sure many on here have bought and still do buy from MyProtein.

Bought last year (Nov 2020), examples of pricing:
a) Impact Whey Isolate - Natural Vanilla 5kg with 55% Coupon and paid £45.00
Now (Dec 2021) with "up to 80% Coupon" it's showing as £65.45 to buy today (represented as WAS: £168.99 now £74.36, Save £94.63) so only £8.91 "real discount" (£74.36-£65.45).

b) Impact Whey Protein - Stevia - Chocolate - 5kg with 55% Coupon and paid £40.52.
Now (Dec 2021) with "up to 80% Coupon" it's showing as £55.36 to buy today (represented as WAS: £142.99 now £62.92, Save £80.07 so only £7.56 "real discount" (£62.92-£55.36).

c) Advanced Weight Gainer - Chocolate Mint 5kg (was previous called Extreme Gainer Blend and previous to that "Hard Gainer Extreme").
With 55% Coupon paid £22.49.Now (Dec 2021) with "up to 80% Coupon" it's showing as £34.88 to buy today (represented as WAS: £64.99, now £39.64, Save £25.35 so only £4.76 "real discount" (£39.64-£34.88)

I could go on...

Spent thousands on their products over the years but at a decent price with genuine offers and now they have revised (inflated) their RRP's.

Typically would always get 30-40% off the pre-Covid prices whenever looking to buy with the most I ever saw being 55% - hence the above orders made at the time and bought about £2k of stuff!

Now we will see in the months ahead 70/90% discounts and "upto" being the important term, yet the reality of the discount only being 10/20% (as shown above) and off a vastly hiked RRP or sale price.

Their prices now despite economic inflation on the rise are just too high to buy at so MyProtein have lost my business and I look now to other protein supplements brands so any genuine good deals, I look forward to seeing from fellow posters on here.
Community Updates
New Comment

38 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Anonymous User
    Vote with your wallet. Stop spending with them, unsubscribe from their email list and let them know why.
    Sam_Malpass
    Currently...

Chicken breast found in supermarkets has (300g of protein in 1kg) for £5.85/kg
    Impact whey on MyProtein (720g of protein in 1kg) for £39.99

You don't need to be good at maths to see the issue
    DaveG46
    Should probably email them this
    chaz_187
    def everything has gone up like crazy and never really believe these best ever deal slogans
    BMJT
    I just shark eBay and Amazon for deals now, these prices are insane for what is essentially a waste product from dairy production. Won’t pay more than £10/kg.
    nisc1
    I noticed this and I have now switched to bulk powders which is cheaper and to be fair it is all the same powder at the end of the day. Only negative I would say is the farts have become more hideous
    MonkeysUncle
    Wait till you see the price of mcvities biscuits coming through into shops

A small 266g pack will be roughly £1.60 if it has choc on it.

Normal rich tea etc 400g for £1.50

Some offers will be on but price has gone up by roughly 50% or been shirnkflated a bit more.
    Ajahn
    Know this thread is a bit old but I just went to the myprotein site to buy whey (which I get from them every few months) - couldn’t believe the price increase. Price is now £142 fr 5kg!! And £92 after applying two voucher codes. Past few years I’ve been paying £50-60 for same product from them. I accept prices rise but that’s having a laugh so have gone back to bulk powders which is about £20 cheaper.

Was going to message myprotein to tell them but too much hassle to go through their contact us forms.
    pyrro.natsis
    Went to buy some Impact Whey Protein 5kg with discount it was 95£ on Myprotein now. No way I am buying that. As a rule of thumb I don’t want to be spending much more than 10£ per kg
    Lee112
    nisc126/12/2021 22:18

I noticed this and I have now switched to bulk powders which is cheaper …I noticed this and I have now switched to bulk powders which is cheaper and to be fair it is all the same powder at the end of the day. Only negative I would say is the farts have become more hideous

Now 5kg at bulk powders is £150 without discount. They’re taking the p!ss!
    Zek
    Not inflation but price gainz
    Immoraliste
    M_Loch27/03/2022 16:26

What has everyone decided to do then? Are you all paying £25 per KG now? …What has everyone decided to do then? Are you all paying £25 per KG now? Not be long before it will rival the price of Cocaine!Everywhere roughly the same? Why?

5kg whey isolate from Bulk pops up at around £65-68 every couple of weeks on Amazon (usually with a voucher / S&S). Still very expensive, but don't really see cheaper for isolate nowadays.
    Mrcrazyman69
    Many companies use the "up to X off" trick to get customer's attention, and the reality is that they will likely only have a couple of boring items with this offer, however most will not have such a large discount. I don't really buy protein often but have previously when a deal was posted from Amazon, so you should add a deal tag for it so you get notifications when a deal is posted.

When lockdown started a lot of people who usually don't go to the gym ended up making their own home gyms to exercise, which could have caused demand for these sorts of things to rise. I doubt such an increase is down to just inflation alone.

As already mentioned, you really should contact them about these increases. If many have the same opinion they may reconsider their pricing.
    emmpii8
    This is what they said somewhere

"We'd rather not kick the weekend off like this but we've received some messages about the recent price increases and thought it's only right to acknowledge everyone at once...
    We're really, genuinely sorry we've had to further increase the prices of some products. Again, it's a result of the increasing costs created by a number of global, industry-wide issues.
    We've absorbed these additional costs for as long as possible but the continuous rise in cost of ingredients (among other things) is unavoidable now.
    We never want to compromise the quality of our products as it's our highest priority, and are committed to always provide you with the best product offering we possibly can whilst remaining competitive.
    We know this is impacting the industry as whole and that some of you have noticed other brands within the market have taken the same action, which hopefully shows how unavoidable this has been.
    Unfortunately, it's the way it is right now, but we hope you can understand."
    emmpii8

I noticed this and I have now switched to bulk powders which is cheaper …I noticed this and I have now switched to bulk powders which is cheaper and to be fair it is all the same powder at the end of the day. Only negative I would say is the farts have become more hideous

you might need to switch to isolate if you're getting farts, and if you're already having that then you have no cure
    Immoraliste
    To be fair £65 for 5kg whey isolate is a good price right now, as ridiculous as it might seem historically. They wanted £85+ after discounts on Black Friday.

Completely agree about the stupid list price minus massive discount pricing model, especially at a time when your regular customers are wondering what's going on and are looking for some predictability / stability in the market, but if you're reaching the end of your whey supply, this is the best price in a while.

Less than a year ago 5kg whey isolate blueberry was regularly available for £35-37 from MP!
    GreekJesus
    MyProtein have been doing this for years.
    groenleader
    Sites like this one contribute a lot to this kind of situation.

So called "deals" get advertised which people do not evaluate but simply click and buy. There is no need to be price competitive when somewhere says its a "deal" and pushes customers there way.

Secondly, affiliate links used on this site and across the internet, including in links under youtube videos keep prices high.

Giving someone a kickback has a cost, and the retailer has to figure that in their price! If 40% of sales come from affiliate links that's a lot of money being given a as kickback. MyProtein has a huge affliate link programme.

Technically you pay same price, affiliate link or not, but the price is kept up by the affiliate programme.
    Rusty82

Bulk is definitely better tasting protein than My protein in my opinion, well, the whey isolate 90 or whatever they call it these days. I have went back and forth and Bulk wins the taste test. In saying that though, I do like the clear whey from My protein but other than that I don't use them.
    Bure11
    Ajahn13/01/2022 22:35

Know this thread is a bit old but I just went to the myprotein site to buy …Know this thread is a bit old but I just went to the myprotein site to buy whey (which I get from them every few months) - couldn’t believe the price increase. Price is now £142 fr 5kg!! And £92 after applying two voucher codes. Past few years I’ve been paying £50-60 for same product from them. I accept prices rise but that’s having a laugh so have gone back to bulk powders which is about £20 cheaper. Was going to message myprotein to tell them but too much hassle to go through their contact us forms.

You might aswell get ON instead for the price
    volc25
    Youll be back!

Bure1114/01/2022 10:42

You might aswell get ON instead for the price

Yeah and the farts that go with it (edited)
    ExpressTest_
    Now current price is £101 for 5kg with 70% discount. I am looking to buy ISO Sensation 93 much cheaper than them.
    great-deals Author
    ExpressTest_01/02/2022 23:38

Now current price is £101 for 5kg with 70% discount. I am looking to buy …Now current price is £101 for 5kg with 70% discount. I am looking to buy ISO Sensation 93 much cheaper than them.

where from? what price per kg?
    MildmanneredCalvin

That's hilarious. I truly would have thought it all comes from the same factory.
    andrew.anastasi
    Myprotein a disgrace
    5kg bag £151.
    M_Loch
    What has everyone decided to do then? Are you all paying £25 per KG now?

Not be long before it will rival the price of Cocaine!

Everywhere roughly the same? Why?
    M_Loch
    Ive gave up mate. Gone onto Soy proteine isolate thats 4 yearsa ago Whey prices. Not ideal but will do
    Immoraliste
    If you need isolate, Bulk 5kg whey isolate in chocolate back at £68.24 on Amazon right now (click 20% voucher + subscribe & save).

Note their isolate in chocolate is only 81% protein (due to added cocoa powder), compared to 87% for unflavoured, or 90% unflavoured at MP).
    BMJT
    We need a thread for these deals, it's a nightmare having to click through each one particular option, including on the MyProtein site.
    Anonymous User
    I don't understand Protein Powder, its something that is easy to transport and store as its not fragile and takes up no wastage space in transport yet it costs the EXACT same for really tanglible foods that have more benefits ie, 3 Eggs can be had for 50p which is 20g of protein.

Protein powder is about 50p for 20g worth of protein.

Yes protein has an convenience factor but this alone doesn't warrant being the same price as something that has much higher cost to transport, pack and short lifespan.
    BMJT
    deleted213046015/04/2022 10:31

I don't understand Protein Powder, its something that is easy to transport …I don't understand Protein Powder, its something that is easy to transport and store as its not fragile and takes up no wastage space in transport yet it costs the EXACT same for really tanglible foods that have more benefits ie, 3 Eggs can be had for 50p which is 20g of protein.Protein powder is about 50p for 20g worth of protein.Yes protein has an convenience factor but this alone doesn't warrant being the same price as something that has much higher cost to transport, pack and short lifespan.

Also essentially it’s a waste product. It’s a strange economy for the stuff.
    sarason
    Sam_Malpass11/05/2022 22:42

Currently...Chicken breast found in supermarkets has (300g of protein in …Currently...Chicken breast found in supermarkets has (300g of protein in 1kg) for £5.85/kg Impact whey on MyProtein (720g of protein in 1kg) for £39.99You don't need to be good at maths to see the issue

I've not used whey protein for 5 years when it was a cheap and to be fair, very convenient source of protein.
    I don't need the convenience now and I am shocked at the price. I know for a fact the vast majority do not need this, the few that do will be using isolate when needed.
    It can be handy (mainly when slimming) but it is a very limited food source, there are many alternatives.
    Buy smarter.
    Gabriel_Jesus
    Just seen 5kg isolate on myprotein for 267 pound. Its got mad. Just bought ON nutrition, which Is considered the best for 90 pound for 4.45kg
    Zzap64
    Sorry to revive an old thread but it’s relevant. IMHO my protein and Bulk have ALWAYS raised their prices even before lockdown.

it’s clever marketing but should be made illegal.

Okay so they send you discount codes but by the time you use code they have increased the prices.

Sometimes I have got alternative discount codes to work on the website when they have slightly reduced the prices and got a good deal but that’s been once in a while not consistent.

i moved to PHD Pharma Whey but their options are limited but prices better in fact PHD Pharma had some amazing deals a year or so ago, discount codes working with BOGOF deals so I stacked up loads and still have some left even now thank god.

Honestly at this point just have to eat even more food and bin off protein powders
    warlockuk
    Bump, it's even worse now - they want £96 for 2.5kg and are running a '45% off'.
    £40 for 1KG - yet if you google you can find their own product sold elsewhere for '£19, regular price £22'. Kinda killed the company off for me.
    butryk22_
    At this point, it is cheaper to source protein via real food rather than protein shakes. Doesn't this defeat the entire point of protein powder even existing? It was made to be a cheaper alternative to hit your protein targets...
    butryk22_
    Stop buying it at such prices as you are only enabling these phenomenon.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants