Need help with buying Mini PC

Posted 2nd Feb 2023
Hi,

I am looking for suggestion/options to buy mini PC. Looked at latest Mac mini but it’s costly and deal is for students.

I already have wireless keyboard and mouse

Budget : ~£300

Requirement
- normal browsing
- downloads
- should have low noise
- HDMI 4K output (no idea if it’s PC feature or software)
- connect to 2 screens
- connect to TV sometimes for watching downloads on big screen.

I searched quite a few of them on UK as well as Chinese sites but I do not know what to look for apart from specs like ram , cpu core etc.

Thanks in advance for giving your time to read and suggestions.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Look at used ex corp Dell Optiplex USFF on eBay, loads of them around. Something like a 3050 up will do what you need.
    Just be aware of some people incorrectly listing SFF as USFF, the SFF models are smaller than a normal desktop but not Micro sized like the USFF

e.g. ebay.co.uk/itm…21?

As a guide to how small they are here's a 3020 (very similar) on my desk next to a coffee cup for scale

Dell also offer a mounting kit to attach to the back of a monitor if required.

49466260-1IfR0.jpg (edited)
    I'd be cautious about buying something important like your main PC from somewhere that has no accountability to you like a Chinese seller.

For browsing, downloading and connecting to a TV you don't need anything special. Any PC will do that. The vast majority will also have two video outputs, and all of them will be able to use both at once. Generally noise is more a concern if you're hammering the machine rather than just browsing.

3840x2160@60hz (TV 4K) output over HDMI is something to keep an eye on as some may not have that, but it's fairly common these days. The limiting factor is hardware support.
    Author
    Cheers will check for output over HDMI.
    Not main PC, I will be reluctant to store anything important on there.. mostly movies which I often delete after watching.
    Anonymous User
    Some of the older mac minis should meet those requirements. But if you are platform agnostic you will probably get cheaper going the PC route.
    Hey,
    It might be helpful for you to give a budget so that we know what price range to suggest. Guessing from the Mac mini comment, less than £600? Also, new or used?
    Cheers
    Mark
    Author
    Cheers, I have added budget now, looking for something in range or £300

Can consider used if good value
    try ebay or amazon.
    Author
    I have looked there, I am not much into PCs or electronics so wanted to know what to look for.

There were loads of options and I was kind of lost.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants