PS5 storage upgrade

Posted 13th Apr 2023
Is there much point upgrading to 1tb or do I go for a 2tb.
1tb seems most bang for your buck but just seems kinda pointless when there's a 825 or whatever in it to start with.
If 2tb any recommendations please as I don't have a clue and £160 (ones I've been looking at with heatsink) seem an quite an expensive upgrade.
I have no idea about heatsinks and if they're a must I'm just going off what I've read on various atricles.

Any help or advise muchly appreciated
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Mark_Hickman
    It seems from reading your question none of the people who replied thus far have realised your confusion.
    You're not replacing the 825 gb you're adding another 1tb to it
    Deedie
    I initially thought. "What the hell is he talking about". Thought you were on the sauce or something

Then i reread the question, and you are right. He is talking about replacing the existing drive/storage, which we know can't be done.

I had just skimmed over the question, which is not like me (edited)
    sparx1981
    My main question is how easy it is to fit the heatsink to an SSD? I've seen many PS5 SSD deals but most dont come with the heatsink

My main question is how easy it is to fit the heatsink to an SSD? I've seen many PS5 SSD deals but most dont come with the heatsink (edited)
    Byno
    As easy as blu-tacking it on, except it's thermal pads (edited)
    Deedie
    With the pricing of drives over the last couple of weeks, then I would be going for 2tb while the prices are low.
    Byno
    Yup, as above, by buying a 1TB SSD you'd end up with a total of 1.8TB.

It's an expansion, not a replacement.
    Toon_army
    I did the 1tb upgrade and its more than enough, I do videos and showed how easy it was, the other people who did the 1tb after seeing mine said the same, more than enough.
    At the end of the day 2tb is going to let you save more games but are you ever going to play them all!
    Think I paid £86 for my 1tb and heatsink last year
    doncoop
    had the ps5 since near launch. not added an internal hard drive and neither have many of my friends i know. i would say don't bother until you need to. you'll be surprised how many games you can have installed at once.

Then if you are getting close to space then think about what games you have. one thing I have done is bought a 2tb external USB hard drive and installed some ps4 games on there from psplus etc. much cheaper (£50 odd) and does the job leaving some extra room on the internal hard drive - but tbh i probably could have got by without - just didn't want to pay c.£200 for 1TB which it was at the time a year or so ago.

if you do need the extra space for PS5 games, I'd say go 2TB if you can. As a switch owner, it's a major faff to swap out these drives, either re-downloading everything to the new one or finding some way to backup. Can't imagine it being any easier with the PS5. In addition, I think we are near the low for prices for drives, for a while anyways. Samsung have a glut of chips so imagine they will scale back production soon and therefore prices will stabilise.
    DaveG46
    Search ps5 aswell as there's been ssd deals posted recently with comments and suggestions for other suitable drives 😁
    bo9dster007 Author
    Thanks for clearing this up for me everyone, you were right in thinking I thought it was an upgrade not an expansion and didn't realise you can use both. I just presumed it'd be like the Ps4 where you can only use one hdd internally (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants