Question from a newbie about my dehumidifier

Posted 5th Jun 2023 (Posted 10 h, 11 m ago)
Afternoon all

I recently purchased Woods dehumidifier as £100 was too good a price to say no to, I realise it will get more use over the winter but I wanted to test it out in the box room as it shows 91% humidity over the past few months.

There is a flap on the top, covering a vent, should that be open or closed?

It's pumping out heat and making the room warm, is that normal?

Should I pack it up and try it in six months time - not when it's 20c in Surrey?

Thanks

Darren
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    thepostie
    Shouldn't overly need it throughout the summer unless you have a lot of damp/mould. We use ours all day between November and March but when the weather's better just tend to open the windows more. Although it is our first year using one so I can't comment if the mould comes back in the summer without it on but its yet to return. (edited)
    Kb64
    You have to keep the flap open so air can get in and yes it will make the room warmer, in this weather I would just open a window as you don't really need to use the dehumidifier until Autumn/Winter
    Cloe
    I've read your humidity should sit at around 45-60% in summer months and 30-45% in winter. The numbers depend on which article you read but they aren't too different from one another.
    Anything above 70% provides adequate conditions for mould growth.
    You should *always* leave your windows slightly ajar or the vents open because it provides an airflow which is necessary in a house in general to prevent mould growth.
    We've had problems with roof leaks and an on going outside leak in our ensuite.
    I have put our dehumidifier around the whole house since the roof was renewed, of which every room was sitting at over 70%,
    The rooms all went down to 50% and have stayed roughly at 50%. I take this as there was excess moisture in the walls from the leaks which the dehumidifier has dried up.
    Our ensuite however, has an on going water ingress from outside problem and has mould, it sits at 99% humidity.
    If we run the dehumidifier, we can get it down to around 45% but within 12 hours it will shoot back up to 99% because mould and damp makes the air wet.

I take from all this, if your humidity constantly sits at over 70% after using the dehumidifier then you have a water ingress problem, a mould problem (could be behind the walls if you can't see it) or you aren't adequately venting and heating your house simultaneously.

And yes, hot air comes out of it, a lot of people place a clothes horse with wet washing near it to help dry their clothes however wouldn't advise this if you're trying to dry out a mouldy room obviously.
    Not sure about the vent because we don't have that one.

All this is my own opinion and what I know and have researched for our problems.
    Sorry for the long answer. (edited)
    Dude1971 Author
    Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it!

The box room has definitely had mould this past winter, which I why I invested in the device but I think I will get more benefit from it over the colder months.

I will run it once in each room just to check the readings.
    tardytortoise
    did it come with a manual?
    if not, there should be one here (like van gogh )

woods.se/en/…ls/ (edited)
    Dude1971 Author
    It came with basic instructions but nothing more than that. I will have a look their website! (edited)
    jrw
    Currently 34% humidity in various rooms in my house. Definitely not needed until winter.
    Dude1971 Author
    It's 51 in the box room and that hits 92 in the winter - it has removed a teacup full of water this morning and got it down to 41
    TristanDeCoonha
    It is pumping out warm air because the water content has been removed. As the air circulates, more is drawn out. The warmer air helps the process, so leaving the room closed will bring benefits quicker
    Dude1971 Author
    So warm air means it's work is done?
    ptrichardson
    Its basically a fridge. It freezes the water out of the air, then it lets that ice melt and drain into the container. Over time, this lowers the humidity of the room.
    Now a fridge works by moving heat from one place, to another place. And you don't get this for free (or it would be 100% efficient, which is impossible), so you create more hot air than cold air (in a fridge, the trick is containing that cold air inside a convenient box)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants