Road bike cycling... Saddle

Posted 7th Apr 2023
Hi last month I asked which giant bike i should get, defy or tcr...

I ended up getting a defy 2017 carbon model.

Done a 16 miler and my back side was sore... Even though I was wearing btwin padded cycling shorts.

Looking for recommendations on saddles please.

I cycle about once a week, may push to 3 times a week during summer, average miles per session 25 to 30 miles.

Would like to upgrade my seat, have seen fizik gel type seats On my fellow riders bikes, but can't seem to get them second hand...

Any suggestions please?

Much appreciated.
Community Updates
New Comment

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    This is a tricky one to answer as there is no one answer because different saddles will suit different people. How much cycling have you done up to this point?
    Author
    I've been cycling for the past 3 years, long distance. I.e. More than 120 minute sessions with odd breaks in between.

On the hybrid im ok with a poundstretcher seat cushion add on coupled with padded cycling shorts.

I also have the btwin memory foam add on (7 quid I think) which I haven't tried out on the defy yet. It does make a difference.

Wanted a proper saddle at a decent price for someone who cycles as much as I do... But without breaking the bank.
    [deleted]

do we need a chatbot as well ?
    Don’t skimp on the cycling shorts. There is a big difference in conform between cheap and expensive.
    Cannot remember buying a bike where the saddle was fit for anything but the granite of bottom
    (and I have bought a lot over many years some may have forgotten)

It is a very personal thing we all have our own specs
    try out several see what you like Amazon ?

also make sure the bike is set up for you
    Author
    I've got saddle height right, locked legs etc.

What is granite of bottom?
    As others have said, check your saddle width, youtube.com/wat…4Mk.

If you have the correct size saddle, bear with it, a month isn't long enough for your rear to toughen up for longer rides.

You currently have padded shorts, but there are vast differences between the ranges available, you may find a better pair will help.

Aside from the saddle size, first I'd do is start to use a chamois cream, I've used Chamois Butt'r previously or one I'm currently using is Muc-Off Chamois Cream

Rub some onto your rear prior to a ride, you can also apply some directly to the padding on your shorts also, you don't need a lot. (edited)
    Avoid buying a long list of saddles before eventually buying a Brooks.

They may not be the prettiest but your bottom will definitely thank you!
    How long have you been cycling for? It took me two weeks for my sitbones to toughen up. That said the saddles you get on off the shelf road bikes aren't great.
    Personally I settled on a Fizik Aliante, it's specifically designed for people who don't have great hip mobility and find it super comfortable. Selle and Prologo are highly rated too.
    From the research I did you don't want something softer, that's not the issue. It's the width of your sit bones and hip mobility that are the key factors. Your local bike shop should have test saddles you can borrow to try them out
    Also play about with saddle position, height and setback are also important. I ended up taking mine all the way back and getting a shorter stem. Also a slightly lower position as well. Had to play about with it quite a bit before getting the fit sorted. Will get around to doing a full bike fit at some point, but think I'm pretty close to a good fit after trial and error
    Author
    What's the deal around size coding..

Im seeing t1 t3 t5, s1 s3 s5 etc etc etc
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants