Posted 20th Sep 2021
Just had the heads up on this, info below. Gues itSo if your heading into Sainsbury's from the 22nd Onwards and have the app ready to go (links below if you've not downloaded the app)

My Nectar Prices will launch in the Nectar app from Wednesday 22. September. offering Nectar app customers handpicked discounts based on the things they buy. To enable and use the discounts, customers must checkout in-store using SmartShop.

How will it work?

Nectar app customers will receive a personalised selection of discounts from over 18,000 SKUs. including both Sainsbury's and branded products. which will activate when they checkout through SmartShop. The length of time customers will receive the discount, the level of discount, and how often the offers refresh will vary depending on the product and the unique customer's shopping habits. These discounts are multi-use. so customers can use them as many times as they like during the validity period. Customers don't need to 'opt in' or save their Nectar Prices. they just need to checkout in-store using SmartShop (handset, hybrid. or mobile pay).

Existing Nectar points offers We know our customers love their personalised points offers and so they will continue to receive and save these offers to earn points via all payment channels. Customers will also receive one point per pound at Sainsbury's and one point per litre at Sainsbury's petrol stations, including on items purchased at Nectar Price.

Customer experience and checkout When a customer scans one of their Nectar Price products using SmartShop. they will automatically see the product's original price and their Nectar discount price. Nectar Prices are calculated before any additional discounts, such as colleague discount and money-off coupons.

If a customer is using SmartShop Mobile Pay. savings from My Nectar Prices will show under the total savings on their receipt. If a customer uses SmartShop and pays at a mainbank till or SCO. discounts will show at item level on the receipt as a price reduction.

3795868_1.jpg

What is SmartShop and how does it work?

iOS App

Google Play App
Community Updates
New Comment
Top comments
ACIDFORUMS20/09/2021 12:16

Comment deleted

Yeah, we should reject all opinions that are different than our own. That's what a healthy, balanced discussion should be.
I just can't be bothered to mess around with an app to do in-store shopping
ACIDFORUMS20/09/2021 14:47

You mean you shop at wairtrose?

Seriously? You think that's the only way a family would spend over £100 on a weekly shop?
ACIDFORUMS20/09/2021 12:13

A very small number will be out off so stop making up false info

How am I making up false info when I never gave any numbers? I made a generalisation, which is true.
68 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Do they not realise how many people, especially those who are older or don't use smartphones, they are going to put off by doing this?

I don't know why they feel the need to making the shopping experience more difficult - even Tesco has become a poor-mans Costco, as it that requires a 'membership' (i.e. clubcard) just to get a product that's on offer.
  2. Avatar
    keeganland20/09/2021 11:02

Do they not realise how many people, especially those who are older or …Do they not realise how many people, especially those who are older or don't use smartphones, they are going to put off by doing this?I don't know why they feel the need to making the shopping experience more difficult - even Tesco has become a poor-mans Costco, as it that requires a 'membership' (i.e. clubcard) just to get a product that's on offer.

Agreed. I live near a small town with just a Sainsbury’s and a coop. Vast over 70s population. They already say the Coop is over priced and now to have to go into a shop and see two different prices that you only get with an app i can see the store loosing loads of customers.
  3. Avatar
  4. Avatar
    Isn't there something similar operating already?

I'm offered either extra Nectar points or x amount off certain products at Sainsbury's each week. I add them to my Nectar a/c and they're applied when I shop, either using the in-store 'Scan as you Shop' handset or at a regular staffed till when scanning my Nectar card.
    (Although I have the App, I don't link payment cards to it)
  5. Avatar
    keeganland20/09/2021 11:02

Do they not realise how many people, especially those who are older or …Do they not realise how many people, especially those who are older or don't use smartphones, they are going to put off by doing this?I don't know why they feel the need to making the shopping experience more difficult - even Tesco has become a poor-mans Costco, as it that requires a 'membership' (i.e. clubcard) just to get a product that's on offer.

6. Avatar
    RadiantDuck20/09/2021 11:35

Lazy?
  7. Avatar

Lazy?

Maybe. But I'd rather get in and out without wandering about with my phone out checking everything to save a few pennies. Different priorities I guess.
  8. Avatar
    RadiantDuck20/09/2021 12:15

Maybe. But I'd rather get in and out without wandering about with my phone …Maybe. But I'd rather get in and out without wandering about with my phone out checking everything to save a few pennies. Different priorities I guess.

You get out much quicker on smartshop than a self checkout or a slow cashier
  9. Avatar

Comment deleted

Yeah, we should reject all opinions that are different than our own. That's what a healthy, balanced discussion should be.
  10. Avatar
    I use the SmartShop app every time when I go into my local Sainsbury’s so this is a pretty good feature for me personally!
  11. Avatar
    Didn't they do this before, a few years ago, when you got reduced prices by simply scanning your Nectar card instore?

In any case, it looks alright I suppose - I use SmartShop a fair bit so will see how this goes. Hopefully they implement it well, because if things go wrong Nectar customer service (such as it is) will not help.
  12. Avatar
    The Nectar card offers themselves have been revamped to offer points offers on the things you regularly buy - so this offers nothing new.

I would recommend not buying into all this smartshop app handheld gun nonsense anyway. Take it from a part time Sainsburys employee, the top brass at HQ filtering down to the regional and store managers look at all this data and the first thing they do is cut the number of actual checkout workers on-duty and even employed going forwards. Support peoples jobs!.
    Edited by: "SimyJo" 20th Sep 2021
  13. Avatar
    Rarely go to the store, mostly shop online, so no good for me, plus when I do go in-store, I like using a manned till and paying cash and having a chat.
  14. Avatar
    Is this just one of those schemes that force you to sign up? Like Tesco, where all their offers have been replaced with 'clubcard' prices?
  15. Avatar

How am I making up false info when I never gave any numbers? I made a generalisation, which is true.
  16. Avatar

You get out much quicker on smartshop than a self checkout or a slow …You get out much quicker on smartshop than a self checkout or a slow cashier

If you're using a basket it's far quicker to self checkout than trying to juggle the basket and/or bags, the product from the shelf and a phone to scan the barcode
  17. Avatar
    RadiantDuck20/09/2021 12:18

Yeah, we should reject all opinions that are different than our own. …Yeah, we should reject all opinions that are different than our own. That's what a healthy, balanced discussion should be.

Not quite, but it's the same as signing up to a forum just to have a moan
    Fine in person
  18. Avatar
    keeganland20/09/2021 12:34

How am I making up false info when I never gave any numbers? I made a …How am I making up false info when I never gave any numbers? I made a generalisation, which is true.

Generalisations based on?
  19. Avatar
    ThePennyPincher20/09/2021 12:38

If you're using a basket it's far quicker to self checkout than trying to …If you're using a basket it's far quicker to self checkout than trying to juggle the basket and/or bags, the product from the shelf and a phone to scan the barcode

How are you struggling with the scam barcode process, doesn't seem like it for you
  20. Avatar
    They've really been pushing the smartshop since it's release. It's just not getting the figures they hoped for.

Anyway. The wine stunt (25% off 6 bottles) starts the same day (22nd). There could be some absolute top notch discounts if you get a nectar bonus on top of that!
  21. Avatar
    ACIDFORUMS20/09/2021 12:48

Generalisations based on?

Statista, who, as of July this year, show that 55.5 million people in the UK own a smartphone compared to a population of 64.5 million people. That's roughly a 1/6th of the population that is now excluded from this 'smartshop' from Sainsburys.
  22. Avatar
    So Sainsbury's now joining the Tesco con, only get a reduced price if your a nectar member..

All a complete scam..

Oh well of to Aldi or Lidl I go!
  23. Avatar
    Adddddd20/09/2021 12:30

Is this just one of those schemes that force you to sign up? Like Tesco, …Is this just one of those schemes that force you to sign up? Like Tesco, where all their offers have been replaced with 'clubcard' prices?

Exactly!

All a complete scam to harvest shopping habits, and sell information to the highest bidder
  24. Avatar
    crazylegs20/09/2021 13:54

So Sainsbury's now joining the Tesco con, only get a reduced price if your …So Sainsbury's now joining the Tesco con, only get a reduced price if your a nectar member..All a complete scam..Oh well of to Aldi or Lidl I go!

Even Lidl has an App for discounted offers - hubby uses it!
  25. Avatar
    sjs3120/09/2021 13:58

Even Lidl has an App for discounted offers - hubby uses it!

Prices are the same though across the board
  26. Avatar
    keeganland20/09/2021 13:39

Statista, who, as of July this year, show that 55.5 million people in the …Statista, who, as of July this year, show that 55.5 million people in the UK own a smartphone compared to a population of 64.5 million people. That's roughly a 1/6th of the population that is now excluded from this 'smartshop' from Sainsburys.

So 1/6 of the population all go to Sainsbury's?
    You're digging a hole here
  27. Avatar
    ACIDFORUMS20/09/2021 14:05

So 1/6 of the population all go to Sainsbury's? You're digging a hole here

I'm not digging anything. I made the simple statement that this would put people off. You clearly can't seem to grasp that.
  28. Avatar
    SimyJo20/09/2021 12:23

The Nectar card offers themselves have been revamped to offer points …The Nectar card offers themselves have been revamped to offer points offers on the things you regularly buy - so this offers nothing new.I would recommend not buying into all this smartshop app handheld gun nonsense anyway. Take it from a part time Sainsburys employee, the top brass at HQ filtering down to the regional and store managers look at all this data and the first thing they do is cut the number of actual checkout workers on-duty and even employed going forwards. Support peoples jobs!.

Originally, I deliberately avoided the self-scan handsets because of the potential effect on staffing levels.

However, due to the Covid situation last year when massive queues developed for regular checkouts (a single queue around some big stores) I decided to try them. Saved unloading the trolley after waiting for 15+ mins, then reloading after checkout etc..
    I like them for the ability to check actual prices too. Sometimes some bargains can be had if s.e.l's not updated or missing !
  29. Avatar

You get out much quicker on smartshop than a self checkout or a slow …You get out much quicker on smartshop than a self checkout or a slow cashier

Not when a member of staff then rummages through every single bag checking multiple items (presumably to see if you're stealing anything) which happened to me the first time I used it.

Never bothered using it again, more hassle than it's worth.

Even without that I'm not convinced it'd be any quicker, the time taken to scan every item between taking it off the shelf and putting it in your trolley wipes out most of the time savings from the shorter queues at the checkout.
    Edited by: "spoo" 20th Sep 2021
  30. Avatar
    spoo20/09/2021 14:21

Not when a member of staff then rummages through every single bag checking …Not when a member of staff then rummages through every single bag checking multiple items (presumably to see if you're stealing anything) which happened to me the first time I used it.Never bothered using it again, more hassle than it's worth.

Main trigger for this is when you remove items, purchases high value items or total is over£100
  31. Avatar
    ACIDFORUMS20/09/2021 14:23

Main trigger for this is when you remove items, purchases high value items …Main trigger for this is when you remove items, purchases high value items or total is over£100

Over £100 is a normal weekly shop for many of us.
  32. Avatar
    spoo20/09/2021 14:26

Over £100 is a normal weekly shop for many of us.

33. Avatar
    ACIDFORUMS20/09/2021 14:47

Seriously? You think that's the only way a family would spend over £100 on a weekly shop?
  34. Avatar
    spoo20/09/2021 15:07

Seriously? You think that's the only way a family would spend over £100 on …Seriously? You think that's the only way a family would spend over £100 on a weekly shop?

If so weekly go Lidl or aldi
  35. Avatar
    ACIDFORUMS20/09/2021 15:26

????

That makes no sense, what are you trying to say?
  36. Avatar
    The Tesco one is good, clubcard prices are displayed under the normal pricing on the Shelf, then just present Clubcard at checkout, no messing with Apps.

I was quiet supprisd on some of the good discounts on offer.

I do use Nectar, less and less theses days as you just don't seem to get the Voucher Offers much anymore.

Plus. Clubcard point is worth Double compared to Nectar points.
  37. Avatar
    ACIDFORUMS20/09/2021 15:26

Are you 10 years old! Your replies in this thread are baffling to say the least.
  38. Avatar
    deleted234448020/09/2021 16:21

Are you 10 years old! Your replies in this thread are baffling to say the …Are you 10 years old! Your replies in this thread are baffling to say the least.

Ageism
  39. Avatar
    I love the app as the app tills have zero waiting.
Post a comment
Top Merchants