Steam Family Sharing Questions

Posted 8th Mar 2023
Hi hotukdealers

From my understanding, Steam Family Sharing is intended for sharing games with family members

I just wanted to ask, if I set this up to share with friends in other households, would I risk my Steam account being banned or otherwise restricted if Steam detects the friends aren't accessing the games in the same household or if my friends start to use cheats, do I risk a ban as the account holder? I've not know them to use cheats but worth knowing just in case

I only ask because I know people share with friends not living in the same household with the likes of Nintendo Switch Online Family Membership etc, but I've never tried the Steam sharing before

Thank you!
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    jameshothothot
    I don't think other households is an issue.

My son sometimes stays at his mum's and sometimes at mine. He has his own steam account which is fine at either location. I also steam share some games with him and no problem with them. Ditto when we use our laptops at grandparents' house at xmas. There's a limit to number of physical devices you can share with but we haven't reached this yet.

This is because when you share your account and they play a game.. you cannot play a game from that account without kicking them out.

Though messing around with starting the account offline and playing a single player game might work if the other person goes online. (edited)
    andrewworrall1 Author
    Thank you
    kos1c
    I share with my brother and friend and it gives me access to all their games in the devices that are registered (my laptop and steam deck). I cannot play the same game as them at the same time but we share our libraries without any issue.
    andrewworrall1 Author
    Thank you
Top Merchants