strange connectivity issue, Samsung bluray to LG C1

Posted 1st Apr 2023
I have a very strange connection issue that I'd like to see if anyone could make sense of it. Up until last night we had a Samsung bluray player connect to HDMI 3 on my LG C1 via a standard HDMI cable. Trying it last night it had no sound. So I tried a few things;

Bluray to HDMI 2 via the normal cable, works fine.
Bluray to HDMI 3 with a new cable, no sound.
Laptop to HDMI 3 via the normal cable, works fine.

So from all that, the Bluray still works, the cable still works, and the port still works. The only combination that doesn't work is Bluray to HDMI 3. It is only sound that is affected, video and remote control work fine.

We currently only have one device plugged into the TV, so just moving it to HDMI 2 has solved the problem. Has anyone got a suggestion on anything I could try to fix the original issue though?
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    CalmerChameleon
    I'm no tech expert, from what you have written, it just seems like the new cable is faulty. Can you not try the laptop to HDMI3 with the new cable to try it out?
    slimy31 Author
    The initial configuration also failed, so neither cable works in HDMI 3 with the bluray. However, just to make sure I've just verified my laptop on HDMI 3 with the new cable and that also works fine.
    MadeDixonsCry
    Does your HDMI3 port have a different standard to HDMI2 or HDMI1 ports? Which one is labelled eArc? (edited)
    slimy31 Author
    Apparently HDMI 2 is eArc, but I've got no devices that support it. I think the bluray was manufactured before eArc even existed!
    smith2001uk
    Don't some TV's only have certain features on certain ports?

I had a hisense a while back and i could have 4k 60hz on port 1 and 2 and that's after I went and found the setting to enable it. It's the only thing I can think of
    slimy31 Author
    There are certain things that are port specific, but what I can't figure out is that it worked the previous night, then suddenly 'stopped working'. It won't be something that has never worked, but I do suspect there will be a setting that I may have changed without realising it's impact.
    OBH6UK
    Sounds like (pardon the pun) you have "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour" enabled on HDMI 3. Need to turn it off and reboot the TV.
    slimy31 Author
    Hmm, now I do remember seeing that option in the menu, but can a video option cause the audio to stop working?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants