Synology DS423+ vs DS923+

Posted 3rd May 2023
Hi, my DS213j is looking a bit long in the tooth so I'm looking to buy a new Synology NAS. The 423 is capable of transcoding whereas the 923 isn't. However I think I can live without this so I'm leaning towards the 923 which is more expandable. The 923 is more expensive though despite having a poorer CPU so I'm not 100% why it costs more.

Does anyone own either of the above or any ideas which one is more future proof and the better investment?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    mas99
    the 9 is expandable to 9 drives. Thats probably why the cost is higher
    IamMattM

I would 100% choose the better DS423+ (yes Intel on-the-fly transcoding within Jellyfin for example)

The cost of the DX517 , is more or less the price of a second DS423+ if not more expensive, so I would definitely go for the 4-bays DS423+ and if you needed to expand, buy another DS423+ later on....

The other relevant factors for my advice are :

The Gemini Lake platform (DS423+/DS920+) has various USB drivers provided from the open-source community to "unlock" the full potential of your NAS such as the additions:

1) USB3 to 2.5Gbe network adapters (get 230MBps out of your NAS drives) thanks to github.com/bb-…152

2) A multitude of usb dongles thanks to github.com/rob…ers (normally locked down by Synology) to support your own dongles, Zigbee / Matter~Thread / Zwave / Bluetooth / Google Coral AI accelerators etc...for Homeassistant Local integrations of various Smart devices

3) A not-so-well-advertised upgrade in DDR with the addition of an extra 16GB for running many docker containers with no bottleneck whatsoever
    nascompares.com/gui…es/

4) Unofficial support for NVme SSDs (RAID0/1/SHR) as new pool (rather than just cache) in order to significantly accelerate docker/VM perfomances while minimising noise for those components.:
    github.com/007…ain

etc...it depends how much you want out of your 24/7 NAS - For my part all of the above ;-)

Balicomp.co.uk DS423+ NAS...£468 + £8 next day delivery -
    ballicom.co.uk/not…tml (edited)
    Conkers816
    The DS124 is due out imminently as far as I'm aware. While it's not a huge upgrade on the DS118, which I have, the processor will be upgraded so should improve the performance.

Obviously if you prefer something upgradeable then ignore everything I've just written
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants