What product will clean off bike chain rust?

Posted 1st Apr 2023
The chain itself is fine, but the hard winter weather took its toll on the bike and the chain has rust on. What product can I use to rid the chain of rust and ideally offer it some future protection? tbh I think the whole bike needs a good clean down, I’ve ragged it about this winter.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

20 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Just pop your same question into Google and a host of video demonstrating what to use and how to do it pop up.

google.com/sea…n=1
    I would buy a new chain. They are inexpensive so not worth trying to clean up a rusty chain as it has been damaged already
    I used to take the chain off and leave it soaking in petrol, then clean and dry it off and then use a rag soaked in oil to oil it.
    Author
    I will take this as a joke?
    Elbow grease
    The idea is to protect through winter by regularly applying protection, however now its best to remove and soak as mentioned above or replace (edited)
    Take it off and place in white vinegar for 24h. Takes rust off.
    Wash off then apply chain oil. (edited)
    My friend used to use a can of coke
    Soak for a few hours in a mixture of any cheap acid and bicarbonate of soda. Scrub with wire brush. When dry apply WD40 or a suitable lubricant to help prevent rust. (edited)
    Wd40 or lime juice should work also lube the chain properly before putting a bike away for winter it will prevent rust
    Clean and degrease chain using whatever solvent you prefer. Remove rust with coarse grade 4 wire wool (wear gloves), lubricate and refit.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants