Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Would appreciate some Linux-based Enigma2 Satellite Receiver recommendations

Posted 13th Apr 2023
I'm considering getting a box just to mess around with but I know literally nothing about that world so i'd appreciate some thoughts and recommendations if possible.

Ideally it will have twin tuners and an internal HDD capability for starters. I stream most of my content on my Android TV but I do still record and series link some stuff on the FTA channels.

I'd also like to have a decent, customisable EPG which can add the non-freesat channels and get the proper program data for everything as well.

I did have the old Foxsat PVR with Raydon's custom firmware which was fine for a while but I started to get annoyed by the picture quality and also the slight faff in having to manually set recordings for some non-freesat channels.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Deedie
    I had a vu+ 4k up until a couple of weeks ago. (Found it again while clearing the loft and sold it on gumtree). Used to use them regularly a few years ago. But switched to 1ptv quite a while ago, so not fully up to speed with them now. But vu+ were regarded as the best back then. So that might be a decent starting point for you

There were loads of cheap clones kicking about back then also. So bare that in mind. Pity you never posted this a couple a week's ago, you could have bought that one (edited)
    miffy93
    +1 for the vu+, good little box for tinkering.
    MonkeysUncle
    Just so you know it will most likely only ever be a Freeview box, carding stopped ages ago now.

Setting up 1ptv streams to work on them is more trouble than it's worth imo just use a stick.

I find the most useful thing is to set up ftp access on all the box and then use a file manager on your phone to backup any data there. Or indeed access any files on the box.
    Deedie
    Don't think he was looking to use it for 1ptv. I think he just looking to learn about the boxes.

I wonder if they are still useful with a motorised dish! That was always my plan for mine. But I never got around to it. 1ptv became much more convenient.

When is was selling mine, I had a couple of people ask about it, and I could tell they didn't know anything about them. I told them I wouldn't sell it to them unless they knew what they where doing. They would have just brought it back, saying it was faulty (edited)
    IAmATeaf
    I still have my Xtrend ET 10000 with 2 sat tuners and 2 cable tuners, still use it to get some free view channels.

Didn’t realise that there was a comeback, might have to do some reading (edited)
    Deedie
    Yes. I'm kind of regretting getting rid of mine now. Might have been good to have a tinker myself, just for nostalgia purposes more than anything.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants