Android TV box v Firestick

Posted 27th Mar 2023
I've got a 2nd Gen Firestick which is getting quite slow especially with certain streaming apps. The newer Firesticks don't seem like a quantum leap in power, not on paper anyway. I've been pondering an Android TV box either an x96 type or more expensive x98. The 4gb is a nice luxury which should be a huge boost. Are these better or worse than a current Firestick lite etc?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

22 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    cecilmcroberts
    I take it by Android TV Box, you mean a generic brand and not the likes of an Nvidia Shield or Xiaomi Box? If you do, you are mostly talking about a box running normal android designed to be run on a small screen with a touch screen interface (skin overlay to make it easier for a remote), not Android TV (or whatever they calling it this week!), designed for large screens and a TV style remote interface. With the generic you can run into all sorts of issues from zero support, lack of codecs or drm issues and dear knows what built into the OS, also some apps may not scale correctly. (Someones post on here about Disney+). Sorry I can't help with the recent gen of firesticks, use an Nvidia Shield myself and as they say sometimes, pay once for good, paid £79 back in the day in 2015 and still being updated and going strong, never missed a beat. (edited)
    GB99 Author
    Thanks for that. Yes they look like a generic android 12 interface I think. They seem to be marketed as being equivalent to Android TV. Here's an example
    £18.17 20%OFF | Smart TV BOX X98H Android 12 Allwinner H618 BT5.0 Wifi 2.4G 5G 4K Media Player Set Top Box
    a.aliexpress.com/_ms…Ej8
    Easy.Action.Baby
    Friend of mine bought one of these for the streaming app we both use. He said it hasn’t missed a beat and better than the firestick it replaced. On offer just now

amazon.co.uk/dp/…9BE (edited)
    Byno
    Gen 2 sticks whilst functional are slow and stutter even on official apps, Discovery + being one (at least they are in my experience with the 2 I've got)

4K stick is stutter free, the Max will be also.

That being said my 2015 Shield trounces the lot, the support that box has had and still gets warranted the purchase IMO. (edited)
    moschops1
    The 4k max firestick is on offer at the minute on Amazon and Argos
    Humanoid_H
    With the generic boxes you have to navigate the minefield of CPUs. Some are more powerful than the fire sticks and some are dead slow. Also if you are using apps with widevine such as Disney plus, netflix etc then the generic box won't be able to stream any higher than 480p quality as they don't have the necessary widevine level. You're also not going to get ANY updates with generic boxes.

When it comes to the interface of generic boxes don't worry too much you can always put a different launcher on, I use ATV as it's nice and simple.

If you need the official apps and want fast then Nvidia shield is the best. The newest Amazon cube is pretty decent also, especially on black Friday. It is about 3 times a powerful as the fire TV stick 4k albeit with the traditional low amount of ram fire TV devices have. (edited)
    GB99 Author
    My current Firestick is ok ish with official apps. It's just so slow with non official apps etc. The lack of ram with fire TV doesn't help, but I don't have enough experience with other streamers to know how much is enough....1,2,4gb? (edited)
    Yolofknell
    I have 3 generic (I think ms something or other???) for at least 7 years, I have never had an issue. Only paid £20 each for them. I see no need to pay for a shield as these boxes are adequate for my needs.
    moschops1
    I've got the Nvidia shield pro and firestick 4k max for the money I would go firestick the shield to me doesn't warrant the extra money
    bob-mk2
    Can anyone recommend a decent Photos app that I can put on my Firestick to display photos stored on my DLNA NAS?

The Amazon one wants you to upload them to Amazon Photos and I haven't found a decent one elsewhere.
    gravy_davey
    Apparently android boxes can be infected
    Paul_Stone
    Android box every time get at least 4gb of ram and 32 of storage and quad core processor you can pick a real decent one up for around £40, and get a mouse to go with it , I have had mine 4 years running android 10 but get the latest android version it had out lasted 3 firesticks it's easier to side load apps dies not over heat like a firestick not as buggy and you don't get all the Amazon rubbish as far as support is concerned well you don't get much with a firestick anyway so why worry about that , the only fire device I would consider is the fure cube but it's so expensive the firesticks don't have enough ram or storage you can get tips on android TV boxes and what is recommended in various forums online
's avatar
Top Merchants