Carrera or Raleigh bike, please help

Posted 28th May 2023
Hi, please can you advise me on which of these bikes would be best to purchase? Carrera Crossfire 2, Raleigh Pioneer or Raleigh Pioneer Tour.
I'm a female, 5ft 1 so looking for a low step style. Would prefer something lightweight but think the weights are fairly similar unfortunately.
Purchasing for leisurely rides so roads and maybe to the park.
It'd be purchased via Halfords due to the Cycle2Work scheme.
Any advice would be great! Also I'm not sure what the difference is between the Raleigh Pioneer and Raleigh Pioneer Tour or if the Tour is just an updated version?

halfords.com/bik…ml?
[image]

halfords.com/bik…ml?

halfords.com/bik…ml?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Sc4mp0
    You can use cycle2work from other places as well although,in my case at least,it's only meant for a bike and not accessories(buying from Halfords would include accessories)

Saying that,the independent dealer I went to was happy to increase the value of the bike to include the accessories which didn't show on the receipt so I was able to get everything from them.

Have a look around as it would open up your options as well of what to buy.
    dealfiend101 Author
    Running out of time as it ends on Wednesday, do you think none of these are any good then?
    EndlessWaves
    The handlebars on the Crossfire 2 look a little low to me and I'd be concerned it's going to have more of a mountain bike style riding position rather than the one you're presumably looking for. Have you tried it in the shop?

Glancing at the picture the tour compared to the non-tour seems to come with a couple of extra parts like a chain guard and more adjustable handlebars, and different designs of stand and pannier rack. It's hard to tell from an online listing what the quality difference is like though.
    dealfiend101 Author
    Thankyou, I managed to sit on the Crossfire 2 in the shop but it was hard to judge on the handlebar position to be honest as I haven't ridden properly in years. The Carrera has front suspension whereas the Raleighs don't. Not sure if this is something I should be looking for?
    bracey100
    the reviews favour the carrera
    dealfiend101 Author
    50265417-9DNBO.jpg50265417-C9xb5.jpg50265417-lrZmh.jpg
    bonzobanana
    What did you buy in the end?
    dealfiend101 Author
    I finally ordered the Raleigh Tour. Haven't managed to try one in store but will have to hope for the best! Getting on and off the Carrera was alot of effort when trying it in the store on a couple of occasions so that put me off. Also I hadn't thought about the handlebars until it was commented on, so when testing a similar curved handlebar style in Decathlon it did seem more comfortable.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants