Deciding on a motherboard for an AMD 5600G - which to go for and where to buy from?

Posted 7th Apr 2023
I'm looking for a Motherboard to pair up with a 5600G (seems like I'm one of MANY who picked one up last week on the ebay promo weekend). It's shocking how the prices are currently! If the CPU wasnt such a bargain I'd not have bothered and would've waited a year or so till the prices for DDR5 ram dropped but hey!

I'd prefer something with 4 dimm slots to double up to 32gb in a few years. I'd want to be able to oc the ram as I've got some e-die Ballisix 3600mhz CL16 that I can hopefully dial in fairly tight. From what I've read, overclocking the CPU doesnt yield great results but I might have a go in the future.

Ideally I'd like to have a second m.2 slot to pop in a second nvme at a later date.

I don't want to spend much north of £100, seeing as though the CPU was only around that.

Asus Prime B550M-K can be picked up for £80 ish on ebay too, from Ebuyer - but I've red a lot of negative comments about issues RMA'ing with them.

At the other end of the scale there's the ASUS ROG STRIX B550 but that['s £150!

The one that seems about the best balance is the Gigabyte B550 GAMING X V2

I'm not sure for about going for a used board, so the B450's don't seem like an option. Most of the A520's only have 1 nvme slot (and a lot just have the 2 dimm slots). My last budget build lasted me 8 years, so I don't always need the latest and greatest! I don't game much but might stick a cheap rx580 in down the line.

If I went down the amazon warehouse option - what would I lose out when it comes to the warranty?

I'd like to stick to ebay or amazon just in case there are any issues straight out of the box - people complain about ccl and ebuyer - are there any positive options for alternative sellers?

Thanks for your input!
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    badgerus
    I wont buy used or refurbished from CCL, bought a mobo from them that was described as good condition with no defects stated but when I received it there were pins that were bent and the m.2 screwhole thread had been stripped. They didn't respond to messages but returning was not a problem via ebay process.
    Jim1_Smith Author
    Thanks. I dont remember spotting any used/refurbs from them that ticked the boxes so that's all good.

What do you think about ebuyer through ebay for £102 vs £109 direct from amazon or £100 for a like new form their warehouse for the Gigabyte Gaming V2?

Any thoughts on the boards I listed or any other alternatives? Id appreciat eth input as I'm just going round in circles at the mo!
    Cisco060606
    [deleted]
    Jim1_Smith Author
    Cheers. When I looked it just seemed to be Z790's.

Any suggestions on a suitable MSI board to have a look at? (edited)
Top Merchants