Dog Flea Prevention - £44 a tablet!

Posted 21st Apr 2023
Our vet just charged £44 for a flea tablet (Bravecto 500mg Chewable Tablets for Medium Dogs) that according to the label covers for just 3 months - so that's £176 a year. On Vetuk it's £19.98 but on prescription only.

What do others here use for your dogs?
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    PaulandPam
    Vets are complete rip off merchants as you've just discovered, a few years ago one charged us £60 to stick his finger up our dogs behind and then told us everything was fine, after paying the bill I felt like it was me that got shafted from behind and not our dog
    If you can persuade your vet to give you a private prescription buy the tablets yourself. (edited)
    Nikita_Percival
    You don't need a script for flea or worm so even better. Vets are rip of thou. I dead with a lot of vet prescriptions because it cheaper to get them at a pharmacy than the vet
    sustar
    Simparica Trio - 1 tablet per month and droncit or drontal every 3 months.

Get it as part of my dogs monthly vet plan package

Did get Bravecto and something else in December that was 1 tablet every 3 months but prefer Simparica monthly so requested to have that again which is what we have been getting for 2 years
    mutley1
    never heard of bravecto until this thread. sounds interesting as it can be a chew. at the moment we apply frontline topical, which is a pain to do every month.

if bravecto works just as well, we would consider switching to this. anyone got experience of bravecto and can comment on its effectiveness agains t frontline?
    sustar
    I have not used frontline but when we got given the Bravaceto in December… my dog did not enjoy it and kept spitting it out so I tried to crush it and then add into some food but did not find it successful and felt I would prefer going back to monthly and Simparico Trio which we pick up on the vet plan and I pick 4 months supply up each time.

My dog has been fine with Simparico so felt it was easier to administer as it’s chewed so at least I know he has had the required dose.
    newbie68
    Choose which you want (research it) and find the best price online. I use Drontal and got it online at a fraction of the cost my vet wanted. There are plenty of online vets selling flea and worm treatments a lot cheaper than your local
    fiestasteve44
    I use pestroy off Amazon about £2.70 for 3 months coverage.
    Nikita_Percival
    I went with Pet drugs on line got the same as I use to get from the vets which is Advantage & Drontal. 12 months cost me £43 and also medium sized dog. That’s flea and worm combined (edited)
    Pilsbury12
    My vet uses bravecto every 3 months. Not sure how much it costs because we are on a plan that covers flea & tick treatment. Monthly worming. Injections. Consultations etc. Pay monthly and it’s worked out really good for my elderly dog. May be worth seeing if your vet does anything similar.
    bobdylan
    Get the vet to issue a prescription (costs around £20) to cover 2 tablets (6 months worth) and then just buy your own tablets from an online company. That's where we get our Bravecto from
    dorey69
    I use Advantage drops for fleas. Same ingredients as the vets but a lot cheaper. I’ve never had one flea in 14 years
    ashmac
    Not flea treated any of my dogs I’ve ever had , that’s 18 years and I’m yet to see a flea , and two where chow chows . In 18 years I’ve seen one tick.

Not one for pumping my dogs full of medicine for something that isn’t there 99% of the time . All so never wormed a dog and yet to see or had a dog with worms

Don’t give your dog flea tablets , I bet in 12 months time you will be fine .

Have a Shitzu he’s 2 now never been treated with flea tablets and never had fleas . (edited)
    josephobrien2000
    We use frontline , which we buy via pets at home for £6 per month. It hasn't gone up in price in years. I should really look at an alternative price but the product works
    neversay Author
    Thanks and for your very kind and helpful responses.
    Wongy111
    Dunno mate sorry
    please advise on Sigourney Weaver
    Appropriates.
's avatar
Top Merchants