Google is shutting down Stadia  - unlocking Bluetooth on controller is now live!

Posted 29th Sep 2022
Bluetooth controller unlock now live stadia.google.com/con…tml

Switching is permanent

Once you switch your controller to Bluetooth mode, you can’t change it back to use Wi-Fi on Stadia. You can still play wired with USB in Bluetooth mode.

Switch to Bluetooth mode Available until 31 December 2023

You can switch to Bluetooth mode, check the controller mode and check for Bluetooth updates until 31 Dec 2023.

Testing of Bluetooth mode was focused on the devices and systems listed below, but may not work with all hardware configurations.

Compatibility with other services and platforms has not been substantially tested. Please note that computers must have a Bluetooth Low Energy adapter in order to communicate with the Stadia Controller in Bluetooth mode and that hardware compatibility will vary. Haptics (vibration) may not work with all systems.

• Windows 10 and 11 + Steam
  • MacOS® 13 + Steam
  • ChromeOS
  • Android

Is it really a surprise? Service will remain live until Jan 18th 2023. Full FAQ below on process on refunds, what's included and how Google will proceed.

Update 14th Jan

Google will unlock Bluetooth support on Stadia Controller
Google will release a tool next week, w/c 16th so your controller won't become a paperweight.

20669081531673710317.jpg
Google is shutting down Stadia, its cloud gaming service. The service will remain live for players until January 18th, 2023.

Google will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchased through the Google Store as well as all the games and add-on content purchased from the Stadia store. Google expects those refunds will be completed in mid-January.

The Wireless Controller, in theory, should work as a wired controller for non-Stadia PC games though?

Official Statment from Google:

''For many years, Google has invested across multiple aspects of the gaming industry. We help developers build and distribute gaming apps on Google Play and Google Play Games. Gaming creators are reaching audiences around the world on YouTube through videos, live streaming and Shorts. And our cloud streaming technology delivers immersive gameplay at massive scale.

A few years ago, we also launched a consumer gaming service, Stadia. And while Stadia's approach to streaming games for consumers was built on a strong technology foundation, it hasn't gained the traction with users that we expected so we’ve made the difficult decision to begin winding down our Stadia streaming service.

We’re grateful to the dedicated Stadia players that have been with us from the start. We will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchases made through the Google Store, and all game and add-on content purchases made through the Stadia store. Players will continue to have access to their games library and play through January 18, 2023 so they can complete final play sessions. We expect to have the majority of refunds completed by mid-January, 2023. We have more details for players on this process on our Help Center.

The underlying technology platform that powers Stadia has been proven at scale and transcends gaming. We see clear opportunities to apply this technology across other parts of Google like YouTube, Google Play, and our Augmented Reality (AR) efforts — as well as make it available to our industry partners, which aligns with where we see the future of gaming headed. We remain deeply committed to gaming, and we will continue to invest in new tools, technologies and platforms that power the success of developers, industry partners, cloud customers and creators.

For the Stadia team, building and supporting Stadia from the ground up has been fueled by the same passion for games that our players have. Many of the Stadia team members will be carrying this work forward in other parts of the company. We’re so grateful for the groundbreaking work of the team and we look forward to continuing to have an impact across gaming and other industries using the foundational Stadia streaming technology.''

Stadia Announcement FAQOn September 29, 2022, Google announced that the Stadia servers will be turned off on January 18, 2023. The following article includes answers to common questions and will be updated as new information becomes available. Please check back for updates before contacting support.

Email received late 29th September

Dear Stadia player,

On September 29, 2022, we announced that the Stadia service will be shut down on January 18, 2023. We’re getting in touch with important information on what this means for you as a Stadia player.

Availability

Stadia will remain available for gameplay until the service is shut down on January 18, 2023. During this period, you will have access to your game library, including Pro games if you had an active Pro subscription as of September 29, 2022. Be aware that publisher support for games may vary, and it’s possible that your gameplay experience may be affected during the shut-down period.

Refunds

Google is offering a refund to Stadia users for Stadia hardware purchases (Stadia Controller, Stadia Founder’s Edition, Stadia Premiere Edition, or Play and Watch with Google TV Package) made on the Google Store, and game purchases and add-on purchases made on the Stadia Store. The refund process will take some time, but we expect to have the majority of refunds processed by January 18, 2023. We expect to be able to automatically issue refunds for a substantial portion of transactions as a credit to the form of payment used to make the purchase. For purchases that we are not able to automatically refund, you will receive an email with details on how to obtain your refund.

Transactions and subscription fees

All commerce functionality (the ability to buy games, new subscriptions, add-ons or in-game purchases) on Stadia has now been disabled. Users who held an active Stadia Pro subscription as of September 29, 2022 will not be charged for access to their Pro library or other subscription entitlements during the shut-down period. Historical Stadia Pro subscription fees will not be eligible for refund.

Your Stadia account and data

You will be able to export your Stadia data, such as profile information, game stats, social data, save files and captures from Google Takeout until the Stadia service shuts down on January 18, 2023, after which point your Stadia data will be permanently deleted. You can also delete Stadia from your Google account at any time or delete your Google account entirely. Please note that deleting your Google account will result in deletion of all data and content in that account, including emails, photos, and files, and may increase the amount of time it takes to receive a refund of your Stadia purchases. Google may however retain certain data, including transaction data, for up to three years following the shut-down of the service for the purposes of processing refunds and providing customer support.

More information is available in the Help Centre, which will be updated as new information becomes available.

Stadia Announcement FAQ

Q: How long will I be able to play my games on Stadia?

A; We will be leaving the Stadia platform and game servers online until January 18, 2023, so you can continue to play games in your library.

Q: Will all games work as expected during this time?

A: We anticipate that there will be some gameplay issues during this period, especially any games requiring commerce, but the majority of games should continue to work normally.

Q: What about my game progress? Can I take my game progress to another platform?

A: While that may be possible for some games that support cross-progression play on other platforms, unfortunately, for the majority of games, that won’t be possible.

Q: Will I get a refund? What is available for a refund?

A: We will be offering refunds for all Stadia hardware purchases (Stadia Controller, Founders Edition, Premiere Edition, and Play and Watch with Google TV packages) made through the Google Store and software transactions (games and add-on purchases) through the Stadia store. Stadia Pro subscriptions are not eligible for refund, however you will be able to continue playing your games in Pro without further charges until the final wind down date.

Q: Do I have to return my hardware to get a refund?

A: Most hardware purchases (Stadia Controller, Founders Edition, Premiere Edition, and Play and Watch with Google TV packages) made directly from Google will not need to be returned. More details on how to obtain a refund for your Stadia hardware purchases will be posted here in the coming weeks.

Q: How/When will I get my refund?

A: We are working through this process now and will keep this article updated as we define the process for each of the countries and different situations. Our intent is to have the majority of refunds processed back to the original payment by January 18, 2023.

Q: Are you refunding my Stadia Pro subscription?

A: We will not be refunding Stadia Pro subscriptions. Players who held an active Stadia Pro subscription as of September 29, 2022 will not be charged for access to their Pro library or other subscription entitlements during the shut-down period.

Q: Why can I no longer purchase games? Can I purchase in-game transactions?

A: We have now closed the Stadia Store and disabled all commerce on the Stadia platform, including in-game transactions.

Q: I no longer have the form of payment I used to make the purchase, how will I get a refund?

A: Keep an eye out for an email from us, we’ll provide you with instructions on how to choose a new form of payment.

Q: I paid with a gift card and have since thrown it away, how do I get my refund?

A: Keep an eye out for an email from us, we’ll provide you with instructions on how to choose a new form of payment.

Q: I ordered something via pre-order - will I get charged?

A: All future pre-orders will be canceled and you will not be charged. If you were already charged, you will be refunded your payment.

Q: Can I return hardware to physical locations (Google Store, Best Buy, etc.)?

A: No. Physical locations (Google Store, Best Buy, etc.) will not be able to process any returns or refunds.

Info

Source
Community Updates
Google Stadia exclusive titles that will need to be ported to other platforms:

Gylt (2019) by Tequila Works
Hello Engineer (2021) by tinyBuild
Outcasters (2020) by Splash Damage
Pac-Man: Mega Tunnel Battle (2020) by Heavy Iron Studios
Pixeljunk Raiders (2021) by Q-Games
Update 2
Google will unlock Bluetooth support on Stadia Controller next week
Update 1
Updated with email received from Google Stadia (See thread)

Also, Google Stadia exclusive titles that will need to be ported to other platforms below:

Gylt (2019) by Tequila Works
Hello Engineer (2021) by tinyBuild
Outcasters (2020) by Splash Damage
Pac-Man: Mega Tunnel Battle (2020) by Heavy Iron Studios
Pixeljunk Raiders (2021) by Q-Games

Thanks to @EmeraldGreen for this
Misc
New Comment

730 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Worth a reminder that, if you haven't already done so, once you connect your Stadia account to Ubisoft connect, you'll get the Ubisoft games for free on your account at Ubi. All the AC games have appeared on there for me since I did it.

(think the only games that don't transfer across are Just Dance games, which I imagine will be due to music rights).
    Btw. For all you mobile gamers.

I bought this a while ago for the Stadia for retro gaming and it works great. Very sturdy and secure.

Orzly Phone Mount Clip for use with Google Stadia Controller amzn.eu/d/c…A6H

49352784-rid0T.jpg
    I'm not sure about how tough the plastic is but, from my experience, it all feels very sturdy and I feel that it would take quite a bit of force to break it.
    Games have been refunded by PayPal today.

Awaiting hardware refunds
    Same.
    What is the benefit to switching the controller to bluetooth over wifi ?
    Which ones better pros and cons?
    You can't use it connected to Wifi for anything other than Stadia.

The reason it has Wifi, is it connects directly to the Stadia servers to send the input to the game, avoiding having to send it to your device via bluetooth and then that device needing to send it to the server that is actually running the game. Great system that gets rid of latency but effectively means once the service is shut down it is useless.

Thankfully the controllers have a bluetooth chip that was used for the initial setup, to give it the wifi settings, so what this update does is disables the Wifi and enables the bluetooth to work like a normal bluetooth controller so you can use it again.

There are no pros and cons once stadia shuts down, because you can't use it via Wifi, there will be no server for it to connect too, if you are still using Stadia until it closes, don't update it with this just yet, as making it bluetooth will introduce more latency, wait until Thursday morning when the service is shut down else you are fine to run this tool. (edited)
    Will the steam deck go down the same route? Was thinking of getting one.
    No chance, demand remains high and not really comparable to a cloud-based set-up Stadia had.
    Worth buying remote second hand and claim a refund?
    Lol ...what do you mean, how can you claim a refund if you have not purchased new from the Google store ?
    Will the Bluetooth mode work with the chrome cast ultra that I purchased with the controller?
    I’d say no. Fairly sure the chromecast doesn’t have Bluetooth, that’s why you had to use the Stadia app and a phone or tablet to connect the controller
    They tried to send me a refund yesterday but I no longer have that card, what happens now? I assume it will bounce back to them and they'll be in touch again?
    It happened to me too, the card expired last month, got it touch and they stated the following

48767865-Ono5l.jpg
    48767865-A86nX.jpg
    Check the bank today and it seems the refund went through for me ok, not sure how, but I didn't experience any issues, it was quick too as it was only processed Saturday afternoon, I hope everyone else receives their refund without any problems.
    • Ubisoft games: Ubisoft is giving out free PC copies of Ubisoft games you own on Stadia (with five exceptions, and three of them are Just Dance titles). To get the free games, you’ll need to link your Ubisoft and Stadia accounts before the January 18th shutdown. And for any games that support cross-progression, your progress will carry over to PC, too. Check out Ubisoft’s support page for more details.
    • Borderlands 3: Gearbox has outlined a way to bring your Stadia save to PC using Google Takeout and Gearbox’s special Borderlands 3 Stadia Save Utility. Gearbox has spelled out the process on the Borderlands website.
    • Cyberpunk 2077: Developer CD Projekt Red will let you bring your data to PC by manually downloading it using Google Takeout. The studio has a guide on its website spelling out the process. You won’t be able to retrieve your save after Stadia shuts down.
    • Destiny 2: To bring over your Destiny 2 characters from Stadia to other platforms, you’ll need to turn on cross-save before January 18th. Bungie has details on its support site. The company has already turned off the game’s Stadia servers to give players a “head start” on activating cross-save. (Destiny 2 stats may also indicate the dearth of players on Stadia, as reported by 9to5Google.)
    • Hitman 3: Developer IO Interactive is letting players do a one-time “Stadia Progression Carryover” to bring their progress to PC (Windows, Steam, or Epic), Xbox, or PlayStation. You’ll need to link your IOI Account to your Stadia account before Stadia’s servers shut down. IO Interactive expects to open up the carryover tool on January 11th, according to a support page, but you can link your accounts now to prepare. The actual carryover will happen beginning January 26th or 27th. The Stadia Progression Portal is set to be shut down on February 17th.
    • The Elder Scrolls Online: If you played Bethesda’s fantasy MMO on Stadia (like my colleague Makena Kelly), you can log into your Elder Scrolls Online account on Bethesda’s website and then download and play the game on PC and Mac to continue your adventures right where you left off. Here’s Bethesda’s support page if you want to learn more.

And its also awesome to se that Google are unlocking bluetoot.. so the future is not the Tech Dustbin for your google controller..
    That’s great
      Ubisoft giving ‘free’ pc versions of stadia purchases (would have been great if had done same to add to PlayStation/Xbox and if other software houses had followed suit but can’t complain)…

I’d heard Google were ‘considering’ unblocking Bluetooth on the controller back in Nov/Dec but hadn’t heard anything more. Is this happening by a firmware update?/Any idea how it’s going to work?

engadget.com/goo…R2E

* Edit just read about controller on above, so next week software download is leaving it fine if going to have to download I’m presuming before it’s shut down on the 18th (edited)
    Not bad but GeForce Now is better
    What? It means they’ve made it so they aren’t just expensive bricks. Stadia is dead.
    Hmm would it work with a firestick I wonder
    Yep it works, just tried it.
    Has anyone tried on PS4, I know it isn't on the list of supported devices but just wondering
    I can't say for sure, but from the little I've seen, the PS4 is very picky about which controllers it supports; it didn't even support the Stadia controller in USB mode. So I would say it's very unlikely
    To try and negate/offset some of the horrendous plastic waste this will cause, they should release some final update which allows the controllers to be used easily as wireless PC controllers.
    I hope they do that but in the meantime they already function with a wired connection.
    Mental, thanks for all the free Xmas gifts and the incoming £300 refund
    Author
    OFT!
    How far back they are going on refunds...?
    Author
    Says 'all'

''We will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchases made through the Google Store, and all game and add-on content purchases made through the Stadia store. Players will continue to have access to their games library and play through January 18, 2023 so they can complete final play sessions. We expect to have the majority of refunds completed by mid-January, 2023.”
    I bought I controller for £19.99 I think off play store still sealed haha bought it a while ago (edited)
    haha same. Is it still useable as a regular controller?
    Steam deck going exactly the same route. Demand is there but the system is absolutely riddled with bugs.
    What bugs? I think it's pretty smooth, sure there are things that could be better and they're improving probably at one of the greatest rates of the industry.

Linux gaming still has a lot of work to be done, but it's never progressed faster and works great for many games.

It's a great price too for what you're getting.

No chance it will end up this way. It doesn't really require a cloud service to function. (edited)
    Got the email about this too.
    Worked out I've spent just short of £80 in total excluding the pro subscription.

I really enjoyed it when I had a super fast broadband connection.
    The quiet when playing was very nice.
    I’ve just had my refunds for most of my stadia games. These were all originally bought using the free play credit from the promotion a couple of years ago where everyone was getting £5 or £10 credit for free.

Bit stuck on what to do with all the credit now as I’m an iPhone user. Any ideas? Is there any way to transfer this balance to cash or will it be locked somehow? (edited)
    No you can't transfer the credit to cash, but you could buy and rent movies and TV shows and watch them via Google TV

Website to buy and rent movies & TV shows (with credit)

App to watch them on

Alternatively if you have any access to an Android device or Chrome OS with Android app support you can use the credit for subscriptions like Disney+ etc. Just make sure you cancel before that credit runs out or you add a backup payment method so you are charged after the credit is gone, if you want to keep the subscription

I hope this helps (edited)
    What I want to know now is - can I use the stadia controller to play iOS native (i.e. non stadia) games on the ipad? all the instruction online mention stadia games.

Also - can I use it to play games on a mac if I use the cable (just like you can with a PC)??
    I use it on an intel macmini via cable with retro arch.
    Not a "deal" as such, but Google's cloud gaming service, Stadia, is closing on 18th January 2023, and they've said that they'll refund all hardware purchased from the Google store and all software transactions made via the Stadia store. (NOT Stadia Pro subscriptions though)

Ps: Controllers can be repurposed/mapped for use in other games but since might require a controller emulator to work properly. I use X360ce and it works flawlessly.
    I originally posted it as a "deal", but it got merged to this thread. Hence why I wrote what I wrote
    I bought the stadia controller coupled with the Chromecast ultra for £19.99 a while back. I never really bothered with the controller though other than setting it up.

I just tried using it using a wired connection to play Xbox cloud games. It worked on my android phone and my Fire tablet. It won't work on my iPad Pro though. When I plug it into the iPad the controller makes the noise and switches on but the game pass cloud says no controller is attached. Does anyone know a workaround please?
    Anyone know when the refunds are happening?
    Google have said, they are hoping to have the majority of refunds completed by the shut down date, so probably won't get anything till late December early Jan
    I've had stadia Pro and bought games since 2020 and thought I'd share some next steps.

There is a deal on here for Xbox gold for under £40 via cdkeys, if you add that to your Microsoft account then take the £1 ultimate trial, then you have xcloud for a year for £40. Along with everything else for console+pc. But you don't need to get either to use xcloud.

I got a refurb xbsx direct from Microsoft (pay with gift cards, save about 8%) so I stacked the above offer and have 3 years game pass ultimate on a next gen console.

My experience so far of xcloud has been positive, except that it's only the main account, if you have kids they all play on your account. There is talk of a family package, it's being trialled in countries now, but it's fine, as there's no crossover between the games I play vs my kids lol

Stadia controllers work on Android and Windows (Xbox com/play), so I'm all good
    Just had all my refunds which included all the FIFA points bought through FIFA 21/22 plus 5/6 games I'd bought. Come to around £600-700 ! Very happy now . Will keep playing FIFA till the end lol!
    Still no email. Would I still get a refund if all I bought was the reduced in price, controller/Chromecast combo from a year or so back? I think I only paid about £20 for it all
    If bought directly from google store, then yes you should.
    When is the hardware getting refunded, I take it they are doing the games all first ?
    Good point, I hadn't noticed that their last email differentiates between H/W & S/W - yet the date for both is still 18th Jan '23:

When will I receive my refund? We've begun issuing refunds and Stadia will attempt to automatically process refunds for all purchases of games, add-on content and subscription fees other than Stadia Pro made through the Stadia Store. We expect the majority of refunds to be processed by 18 January 2023.

When will I get my Google Store hardware purchase refund? We're working through this process & anticipate the majority of refunds will be processed by 18 January 2023.

I got an email stating I’ve received a refund (for the Premiere Edition and 1 game) but it then says £0.00 in the total? Just checked the link provided too and it also says £0.00 on the website.

Anyone else had this happen?
    Are you sure the Premiere Edition wasn't a free one from a promotion? Was the game free / included with Stadia Pro? Failing that, have the payment methods expired? Could be £0 refunded because the refund couldn't be processed and will be arranged a different way?
    Refunds left me with over £300 of google play funds. I've been able to use it play for Spotify subscription so means free Spotify for me for 2 years which personally is a win!
    I had to cancel my existing subscription and then restart it via the Spotify android app
    Further Update : Received e-mail from Paypal that funds have been processed to me from Google.
    I'm very surprised, but also delighted.
    I was part of the Fitbit Ionic recall, earlier in the year - that was amazingly straightforward too! Can't fault Google so far with this sort of thing...
    Ubisoft connect? How does that work?
    It's just like a playstation account, Steam or an EA account etc. If you open up an Ubi game - such as Assassin's creed Valhalla - you own on Stadia, and then log into (or create) your Ubisoft Connect account in-game, the PC version of them game will then be free to download on the Ubisift connect website or app. (edited)
    Amazing! It took me 3 minutes to unlock it on my laptop and it works perfectly with my phone! Still haven't tried it on the Switch yet though. Thanks!
    Has anyone managed to "Bluetooth-ise" their Stadia controller on Linux with Google Chrome yet? Even when adding the udev config listed in the FAQ and also doing a chmod a+rw on the USB device (a Linux step missed out by the FAQ), when you do the 4-button press near the end, the controller drops off the USB and you can't do the final Bluetooth installation step.

A user on Reddit says they may make a standalone tool to do the Bluetooth installation - hopefully they'll test it on Linux! Just a bit surprised that with Stadia running Linux on their back-end, they don't seem to have fully tested this Bluetooth enabling tool on Linux. (edited)
    I could not bluetoothize my controller from Linux, but since it's one time procedure - I just did it on Windows and can now use the controller on any OS, including Linux.49343442-IiFjR.jpg (edited)
    Will these work on Nvidia shield for game streaming via moonlight?
    It will work like any other bluetooth controller does so most features work but no rumble/vibration. I have seen users confirm that the bluetooth update allows them to be paired to the shield.
    Anonymous User
    Stadia wasn’t a bad idea but I think the game licensing put off a lot of people too. Imagine paying full price for a game you can only use on stadia, it was a stupid decision. I currently used Shadow which basically is a monthly price for a cloud windows pc. You can do anything you like on it and bring your own steam games etc. really impressed by the performance at 4K, you can barely tell it’s streaming. If anyone wants a discount code for it then let me know. 
    Stadia you could stop paying monthly and still access your games
    Can I use this control on PS5 / Switch?
    No. Pc and android/ios devices. Firestick, shield, phone etc (edited)
    Anyone else having issues with the buttons being mixed up? I tried it yesterday with NFS heat and the throttle straight up didn't work and some other buttons were mixed up. Worked fine with my xbox controller.
    I don't know much about controllers, but tried with retro arch, success first time. Then later only the d pad worked and the shoulder buttons. Quit and started again and it worked. So a little unpredictable.
    Has anyone got it to work with a firestick? I can get it to connect but then nothing happens when I press any of the buttons
    I've easily connected them to fire stick 4k
    Woah

Such a shame, great concept, just a shame that it didn't take off
    Author
    Exactly, also reminded me of OnLive

48328335-fIJxZ.jpg
    It was a good idea but not practical when xbox and PlayStation is around and Nintendo switch
    I was really hyped for it initially as I expected a single subscription fee and access to all content, but ended up being a loads of weird subscriptions and stores bundled into one. That just can't work. The only chance they had would be to purchase loads of studios and put all their games on the service like GamePass.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants