Heating block built shed

Posted 4th Mar 2023
Looking for advice on heating a block built shed approximately 12f L by 5ft W

Does not need to be heating all day just few hours of an evening.

I do have electricity in the shed but looking for other options.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Broxy
    i've seen plenty of vids on YouTube about people using small diesel heaters that kick out a minimum of 5kw of heat and are ideal for outhouses, you'll need a 12v dc transformer or a car battery to run it.
    Something like this
    Pandamansays
    Paraffin heaters produce roughly the same amount of water as they burn in fuel.
    i.e. burn one litre of fuel and release 1 litre of water in the form of water vapour.
    Do you have sufficient ventilation?
    icemanste Author
    The shed has french doors on and also has a trickle vent, I was not aware of that something to consider
    TristanDeCoonha
    You could try this type of diesel heater, as used in buses and caravans.
    Make sure you vent outside.
    There's a guy on youtube who has done a strip down review, which was favourable
    amazon.co.uk/Tri…DHD
    icemanste Author
    Thanks buddy will take a look now
    SaturdayGigs
    Whats the purpose of the heating?
    icemanste Author
    To keep me warm while watching movies playing music etc, does have french doors on and small trickle vent
    icemanste Author
    Hi was looking to heat my shed and someone said either a diesel heater or a paraffin heater.

Does anyone use a paraffin heater at the moment and is it safe? By safe I suppose I mean like any bad smells etc.

The size of the room I would think a 2kw would be enough

Looking for feedback on these type of heaters please.

Thanks
    ander
    Do you have a decent source for the paraffin? That would be my stumbling block. Diesel can be had anywhere, and I think I could source red diesel easier than paraffin (although I think this has changed recently and red diesel is no longer allowed to be used for heating, could be wrong)
    icemanste Author
    Not got any source for it yet just wanted something cheaper than electric and don't have to worry, it will only be on for couple of hours to bring it up to temperature
    Deedie
    Have you looked at the Mr heater big buddy. Might be worth considering. It's gas though
    icemanste Author
    No not tried that option yet but I will have a look thanks
    Qesharak
    I have a block shed too (about 8’x6’). I have used a tube heater and found it reasonably effective. They run off electricity of course, but the wattage is only that of a light bulb. There are better ones available now than the one I bought about ten years ago.

amazon.co.uk/tub…ter
    EndlessWaves
    Paraffin heating is widespread in the UK. I'd imagine paraffin/kerosene is the most common boiler fuel for properties that don't have access to mains gas - you certainly see plenty of garden tanks for it in villages and rural areas.

Is that the sort of setup you're looking at, or are you considering something cheaper like an outdoor or greenhouse heater?

I'd be cautious about anything unvented that was exhausting the combustion byproducts directly into the shed. Depending on how often you use the building it may be acceptable, but if you're using it every day then it's not something I'd consider.
    icemanste Author
    It would only be when it's cold, I would put the heater on a few times a week to watch a movie in there or listen to some music.

I am open to options, I was looking at an infrared heater electric. But not sure that will be cost effective with the price of electricity?

Happy to look at all options see what's best.
's avatar
Top Merchants