Help with buying a new computer!

Posted 7th Mar 2023
Hi, I'm looking to replace my computer which I bought from a deal on here roughly 10 years ago.
Since buying it, I have done a few upgrades.
The current specs are:
Intel i5 3550
8GB RAM
250GB SSD for OS
1TB HDD for storage
500GB HDD for Audio Samples

I currently use it for Illustrator (t-shirt deisgn), music production and the occasional Word document.
I was thinking to either build a PC which would be my frst time doing so, buying a pre built one or getting an M1 mac mini off eBay.

I was looking at something with a 5600G CPU but wasn't too sure how that compares to the M1. Also my budget will be around £450-£500.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

4 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    EQL
    I'd imagine an M1 would be great as it was their top of the range CPU.

Make sure you have enough RAM for your needs, 8GB seems a little low nowadays. Secondhand RAM for your current machine would be a cheap upgrade if you are running out, SSDs are also cheap.
    The suggestion is that the 5600G would be 4 times faster (CPU) than the i5 3550:
    cpubenchmark.net/cpu…325
    cpubenchmark.net/cpu…825
    jameshothothot
    5600g is good alrounder. Def check sarden out. Comparing a Mac and a pc really depends on the software you use. I only know games. YouTube will be your friend for illustration and music. All I would say is that a pc won't lock you in.. so a lot easier to upgrade step by step if you wish.
    Zurg Author
    Thanks, I'll have a look at Sarden84's deals! Looking at the cpubenchmark ratings that's a masssive difference.
's avatar
Top Merchants