IKEA Buyback & Resell Scheme - Voucher Refunds For Your Old IKEA Furniture

Posted 9th Feb 2023
Well worth mentioning this again, especially of you don't fancy selling your old IKEA stuff via selling platforms. Looks super simple to do as well. You can get a quote HERE. Make sure you read everything regarding condition and what not, just so you know what to select.

Buyback & Resell
Every year, millions of pieces of secondhand furniture go to waste. That’s why we’re buying back your used IKEA furniture, to give chairs, shelves or chests of drawers as many lives as possible.

With Buyback & Resell, you sell us used IKEA furniture you don’t need in a safe, streamlined way year-round. You’ll get IKEA in-store credit to refresh your home. Someone else buys your old stuff second hand from us and gives it a new home. It’s one little action that can have a big impact on your wallet and the planet.

What your used furniture is worth will vary, but you’ll get more in-store credit for pieces that are in better condition or like-new.

Pricing structure
  • As new – no scratches: 50% of the original price
  • Very good – minor scratches: 40% of original price
  • Well-used – several scratches: 30% of original price

How Buyback & Resell works
Determine what you want to resell. Find out what furniture you can sell back to us on our list of eligible items.Use the Buyback estimator tool. Simply fill out the form online to get a estimate for your old IKEA furniture. You will receive your estimate via email containing your quote and estimate number.Prep and go. Bring your furniture, fully assembled, with your estimation number, to your nearest IKEA store within 30 days. Please note, Buyback is not available at IKEA Hammersmith.At the store, a co-worker will compare the furniture’s condition to the estimate and set a final buy back price (that can differ from the estimate). You will receive an IKEA refund card to spend on something you need or love online or in-store and we’ll resell your furniture in our Circular Hub.
Pat yourself on the back. You’ve done a good deed. You’re helping us prolong product life, promote second hand furniture and waste less. Thanks for contributing to making IKEA more circular and to becoming people and planet positive!Spend your refund card online or in-store whenever you want.You can use your refund card for an unlimited period of time from the date of issue, however it can’t be used in our Bistros, Restaurants or Swedish Food Markets (IKEA Food).

What second hand IKEA furniture does IKEA buy back?

IKEA products that qualify for Buyback must be:
  • In good, resellable condition
  • Listed below as eligible
  • Complete and fully functional
  • Properly assembled when returned
  • Clean and unmodified

Second-hand furniture IKEA buys back
The specific products that are eligible for the buyback scheme are listed here but will include the following:

• All dressers, office drawer cabinets, small structures with drawers, display storage, sideboards
  • Bookcases and shelf units
  • Small tables
  • Multimedia furniture
  • Cabinets
  • Dining tables and desks
  • Chairs and stools (excl upholstered or leather chairs and stools)
  • Chest of drawers
  • Children’s products (excluding mattresses and textiles)

Second-hand furniture IKEA doesn’t buy back
Unfortunately, we are currently unable to accept items from the categories listed below. However, we are always looking for new opportunities to improve our services so do check back in the future.

• Non-IKEA products
  • Component parts
  • Hacked or modified products
  • Non-assembled IKEA products
  • Products that have been used outside including outdoor furniture
  • Beds (excluding extendable children's beds)
  • Mattresses & Bed Textiles (such as Blankets and Mattress toppers)
  • Sofas/armchairs
  • Other soft goods (pillows, towels, curtains etc.)
  • Items containing glass
  • Kitchens including worktops, cabinets and fronts
  • System wardrobes (incl. PAX and interiors)
  • Other over-sized items
  • Appliances and other electrical items
  • Children's mattresses and textiles
  • Upholstered or leather products
  • Market hall products
  • Non-furniture items

Where is the Buyback service offered?
The Buyback and resell service is available at the following IKEA stores:

North Ireland
  • IKEA Belfast

Scotland
  • IKEA Edinburgh
  • IKEA Glasgow

Wales
  • IKEA Cardiff

England
  • IKEA Wembley
  • IKEA Croydon
  • IKEA Lakeside
  • IKEA Birmingham
  • IKEA Nottingham
  • IKEA Warrington
  • IKEA Gateshead
  • IKEA Sheffield
  • IKEA Milton Keynes
  • IKEA Southampton
  • IKEA Bristol
  • IKEA Greenwich
  • IKEA Exeter
  • IKEA Leeds
  • IKEA Manchester
  • IKEA Reading

Help
Community Updates
New Comment

42 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Eden0032
    I looked at doing this recently with a wardrobe I no longer needed. They would have given me £55 for it (which is a decent price as it only cost me £85).

The only problem was that IKEA require it to be pre-built which meant hiring a van to take it there. Sold it on Facebook for the same amount they would have paid.
    Graz279
    Same here, briefly looked into it as I had a load of kid's bedroom furniture I wanted rid of.

For one there only seems to be a limited range of stuff they will buy back, secondly as mentioned they want it fully assembled!

I stuck it on FB marketplace, got swamped with enquires, thought I probably should have asked for more for it, but it was gone within a couple of days.
    ATfix
    They do let you arrive with it in pieces and then build it back up in the customer services area before they check it. I did this recently with a table. Agree with earlier posters - my experience was that they knocked quite a bit off the quoted price for nothing.
    AB15
    Honestly is it even worth the hassle
    Christoph
    Probably some decent profits/ways to build IKEA store credit buying the right IKEA furniture from Gumtree and selling it back to IKEA. To give an example we purchased a Skogsta dining table and 6 chairs from Gumtree for £100 selling these back to IKEA based on the middle condition option if we sold them back would give us £272 in IKEA credit...
    austinc
    wouldn’t get your hopes up too much on them actually paying out what they quote online. they knocked mine down cause inside the drawers were ‘dusty’
    Myatu
    "Properly assembled when returned". That's the clincher.
    Jas_Kaur
    Does mirror count as glass
    animashi
    I would say so
    hackboski
    Proof will be how much the actual value is when they have a nosey round the product in store.

Like we buy any car, offer you the world only to reduce it to debris after inspection even if car is in good shape ...
    hotsir
    Yes! Knocked the price down for nothing
    ELM
    I did this last year for a heavily used coffee table, it was £10 new and when I took it back it was actively disintegrating, they still gave me £4 for it.
    arthurplank
    We have a chest of drawers, absolute junk, the bars between the drawers snap so easily and the rails fail spewing ball bearings and grease. I think they must use Papier mache these days.
    nofuture2020
    Kinda ironic that they will knock money off for scratches when most of the stuff I've bought from them has arrived with scratches..
    Ally.Mitchell
    I took back a BEKANT corner office desk a few months back - bit of a hassle to take it back with the size, but got £150 back for it (they had the 50% bonus top-up on). No way I'd have got that for it selling it on Facebook, etc.

Yeah, I maybe then spent £300+ in IKEA afterwards, but that's not the point...
    austinc
    I bought a Besta white gloss tv bench for £50 on marketplace, took it to ikea and they gave me £130 store credit. Good way to get a big discount if you plan on a big spend. Having a van helps obviously 
    boomerang
    This has worked fine for me,have returned things I've had for years and got top quoted price for them.They were still in good nick mind and I gave them a good clean,even removing specks of paint from one item.
    CharlieBravo
    I checked this a while ago for our euro king bed frame, but the same assembled caveat applies. Barking!
    adi963
    Thank you
    coony
    He prepared for them knocking the price down
    MintyWhite
    Great idea, but it’s a 260 mile round trip for me so I’ll just settle for FB and Gumtree(lol)
    gareth.hickey
    We have used this service a couple of times and it's been straightforward, no quibble with value etc. I have noticed that since ikea have put up prices on a few things that that in turn has increased the buy back value so items we bought a while ago have a better resale value.
    Potato_King
    While it's great that we can earn some money by selling back our old furniture, most of the prices they offer are unreasonable and too low. I'm also curious about how the condition of the items will be evaluated.
    99bakerc
    Where do they sell the bought back furniture?
    deathtrap3000
    Probably straight in the chipper to make new stuff
    Rimano
    Just to share my story, we tried taking back a dressing table to IKEA, which had a scratch in the side, but was fully working. It was a painful process to fit it in the back of my small car. When we got there, they wouldn't take it and was even making up reasons to say it was broken, until one of their own staff said "that's how it suppose to work". The reason why they wouldn't take it was they 'couldn't sell it under that condition'.

Anyway we left the table there for them to 'recycle' and complained online to IKEA, because at no point did the process at the time mention anything about being rejected because of the condition. Can't remember how much compensation we got, but we did get a gift voucher off them.
    jkb114
    I recently sold a fair bit back to them and there was only one occasion where they gave less than what they quoted but it wasnt far off.
    Sarah_Jane47L
    Wonder if they will take my sliding wardrobes back with the missing mirror glass that broke off in the middle of the night and ended up all over my bed, cutting my toe and throat!!!! Very lucky we didn’t get a serious cut. Contacted IKEA to be told user error? Would love to return them but they are massive and would have to dismantle and hire a van, I currently use them with a chip wood coloured door with some thin glue lines down them. If only I knew they were just been held up but a few thin bits of glue. Rant over
    jb90
    In my experience nothing from IKEA has ever lasted through the vibrations from the road when transported in a van to move house, so won't be wasting my time to take things to the store.
    james.pondBzo
    "it's clean and assembled"

Erm so how exactly do you buy it?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants