Need a review on this 65 inch TV

Posted 11th Apr 2023
I'm thinking of getting this TV: amazon.co.uk/dp/…JG7
Just going on price + the fact that it's Toshiba.

Hoping someone can answer a few questions:

- 'Android TV', what are these? Do they have a modified Android OS? If so, I would much prefer to any other system like LG's or Samsung's OS.

- TCL and HiSense. I feel a bit snobbish and am turning my nose down at these names. Are they any good?

Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    cecilmcroberts
    Android TV is a fork of the Android Mobile OS. It's designed for large screen and a remote control interface, rather than a touch screen interface. It has a cut down version of the playstore simply because it will only display apps that are designed also for a remote control interface. (Don't confuse Android TV, with the cheap "Android TV Boxes" you see, they just run a skinned version of mobile android)

HiSense operates the manufacturing, sale and services of Toshiba, which for the EU market is via Vestel in Turkey.

Sorry but I've no personal experience of the three brands, only TCL thing I had was some ear-phones which where great, TCL bought both Thomson TV and Alcatel Mobile. (edited)
    slimy31
    I've had three Hisense TV's so far. One was our main TV until it got upgraded to the LG C1. My son got one for his Switch, only a full HD one though. And I'm currently typing this on their 43" 4K TV. All three have been really good TV's for the money, I highly recommend them.

Personally (and this is not based on my own experience, only 'what some guy said on the internet') I would pick Hisense over Toshiba. As with a lot of brands they're both now just names on some Chinese manufacturer. I can't comment on TCL but they also seem to get some decent reviews. (edited)
    Deedie
    A few of these TV have been posted in the deals section recently. Comments are interesting and will tell you all you need to know

The 2 brands that you have mentioned are on par, maybe even better, than this toshiba (edited)
    E_T_C
    My son has this TV, he seems happy with it. He needed to turn off processing on his PS5 to get the best picture when gaming. The TV is a Fire TV so has a built in Firestick style interface which seems to work okay, he does not use Freeview so I can not comment on how that works but for Catch Up Tv and other App based services it has a good balanced picture, he found it was best to adjust all the specific picture settings to get the most out of the TV.

The Audio is clear and works for what he needs.
    jameshothothot
    Toshiba is not who you think it is. It is vestel Turkish company as above. So you shouldn't rule out the other brands a you are not getting a Japanese one! (edited)
    EndlessWaves
    Vestel have been a mainstay of the European budget market for decades so you will have watched plenty of their TVs in the past, maybe even owned a couple.

Generally they do a fairly decent job at the price and are pretty consistent between models, although they can be a bit weak on the sound side (not that any modern TV has great sound).

The chinese companies Hisense and TCL are much newer entrants into the market and tend to be less consistent with some of their budget models being dire. The better models are generally sold to those who want as much cutting edge stuff as possible, and don't mind a few rough edges.

'An Android TV' refers to both a specific TV and set top box OS formerly called Android TV and now called Google TV, as well as some TV models running the tablet version of Android.

While Google TV certainly grew out of Android, you can also say that Android, LG's Web OS and Samsung's Tizen all grew out of a common ancestor too.
    Deedie
    My a90j would like to point out that there are TVs out there with great sound
    Gollywood
    I've owned Sony and Philips Android TVs and was happy with both of them. Don't think I'd try any other brand
    Cisco060606
    Richer sounds sell this at same price.
    Probably worth purchasing from them instead.
    omarm Author
    Richer sounds has expensive options only. :/
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants