Plumbing - kitchen tap leaking/connect copper pipe to hose

Posted 28th Feb 2022
Hi All - kitchen tap is dropping a lot. So we bought a house where previous owner or his/her plumber had got kitchen tap fitted directly by copper pipes running into the tap in-spite of the pipes having an isolation valves. After researching and lot of YouTube and reading I figured the only way out is for me to stop water using isolation valve and then cut down the pipes and then put new kitchen tap. What I am unable to get through to my mind is - the copper pipes already have isolation valves, so there is no point in installing another isolation valves but then how do I connect flexible hose pipe that comes with the tap directly with the copper pipe? It might be a straight forward answer but most of videos only show how to connect using isolation valves etc. any help would be highly appreciated.
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    AWard911
    Depending on how close to the isolation valve the tap tails are....you should just be able to grip the body of the isolation valve and then use a spanner to undo and remove the top nut on the isolation valve...(make sure the isolation valve is off) and then remove the copper pipe and this should then leave a threaded portion at the top of the isolation valve (kitchen tap side). Don't undo the lower nut on the isolation valve (mains supply side) or it may blow off and you will end up with water going everywhere and no means to isolate it other than the stopcock.

You then screw the flexible pipe nut onto the threaded portion on top of the isolation valve (ensure that there is a rubber washer/seal seated inside the nut of the flexible pipe....which there should be as standard) and tighten it onto the isolation valve and nip it up with your spanner. Reinstate the isolation valve and check for leaks around the union.

This of course assumes that they are standard flexible tap tails that are compatible with a 1/2" isolation valve....which is normally the standard for a kitchen sink tap. Bath taps can be 3/4".....but it will become immediately obvious if they don't fit.
    Doug_
    I assume it's a mixer tap. Like melted suggested you could start by opening the tap to see if it can be repaired.

The exisiting tap could have rigid tails instead of flexible ones. It may be possible to reuse these with the new tap or swap for new flexible tails. You shouldn't need to replace the pipes right back to the isolators just to find somewhere to connect onto. You could use adaptors like in melted's second link if there aren't already some on your pipes.
    AWard911
    You can get longer tap flexible tap tails. I think up to 1000mm are available.

But if you can't gain access to the isolation valve in the first place to use spanners on it then you may well be forced to cut the copper pipe after the isolation valve and then either use one of the many push fit tap tail connections available.....or a compression fitting tap tail to join to the 15mm pipe you have now cut.

Here is a pic of a flexible tap tail connected directly to an isolation valve.
    46996974-UAcVt.jpg
    AWard911
    toolstation.com/sea…ils

Lots of companies make them now.....Hepworth Hep20, JG speed fit etc.
    melted
    If the existing tap is dripping, it might just need a new cartridge, or washer, My kitchen tap started leaking around the lever after a couple of years, turned out the cartridge in mine is supposed to be removed and cleaned once a year, and once I'd done that it cured the leak.

Standard isolation valves have a sharp edge on the ends of the threads which can cut through the washer if flexible pipes are directly attached, you can buy inserts with a flat on the thread to fit in one,

screwfix.com/p/t…65R

or if there is room fit a compression fitting with a flat end on the copper pipe past the isolation valve to connect the flexible pipes to:

screwfix.com/p/p…416 (edited)
    freedeals21 Author
    AWard91128/02/2022 04:57

Depending on how close to the isolation valve the tap tails are....you …Depending on how close to the isolation valve the tap tails are....you should just be able to grip the body of the isolation valve and then use a spanner to undo and remove the top nut on the isolation valve...(make sure the isolation valve is off) and then remove the copper pipe and this should then leave a threaded portion at the top of the isolation valve (kitchen tap side). Don't undo the lower nut on the isolation valve (mains supply side) or it may blow off and you will end up with water going everywhere and no means to isolate it other than the stopcock.You then screw the flexible pipe nut onto the threaded portion on top of the isolation valve (ensure that there is a rubber washer/seal seated inside the nut of the flexible pipe....which there should be as standard) and tighten it onto the isolation valve and nip it up with your spanner. Reinstate the isolation valve and check for leaks around the union.This of course assumes that they are standard flexible tap tails that are compatible with a 1/2" isolation valve....which is normally the standard for a kitchen sink tap. Bath taps can be 3/4".....but it will become immediately obvious if they don't fit.

Challenge is the isolation valves are behind a wooden compartment in a fitted kitchen cupboard and far off from the tap - roughly 70 cms or so..and it looks like the only access is to turn off the isolation valves and cut the pipes to fix new pipes
    freedeals21 Author
    AWard91101/03/2022 09:07

You can get longer tap flexible tap tails. I think up to 1000mm are …You can get longer tap flexible tap tails. I think up to 1000mm are available. But if you can't gain access to the isolation valve in the first place to use spanners on it then you may well be forced to cut the copper pipe after the isolation valve and then either use one of the many push fit tap tail connections available.....or a compression fitting tap tail to join to the 15mm pipe you have now cut.Here is a pic of a flexible tap tail connected directly to an isolation valve.[Image]

Push fit tap rail connections..wow..I never knew about them and all thanks to you, this is it what I might be wanting to have all this while..wish I could tell you how helpful this is..awesome..much much appreciated
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants