Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    dave.richardsonskV Author
    KodaBear
    If you’re using it at home definitely get a dedicated desktop router. You’ll get faster speeds thanks to the larger antenna, longer WiFi range, and better performance as you connect more devices to the internal network too.

CeX have these from £110 with 2 year warranty. Other second hand shops often have them for less.

It’s almost always cheaper if you want one that’s locked to the Three network or brands that use their signal (Smarty, iD etc.) but unlocked variants do pop up for not much more.

If it’s for out and about usage then the TCL 20R is probably the cheapest 5G phone you can easily get your hands on these days. CeX have an unlocked one for £92 again with 2 year warranty.
    Ferris
    I picked up the Three ZTE 5G hub from a charity shop for £45 recently. Sadly no 5g signal on Three indoors around me, but maybe one day. The 4g speed is the same as tethering on a phone.

It is unlocked too, as I can get 5g on Lyca. (edited)
    AndyRoyd
    Think we've been here a few times before, Dave:
    consider USB-tethering the source modem (phone) to an Asus router so the router powers / charges the phone when tethered, whilst simultaneously benefiting from the router's dual high-penetration wifi, multiple gigabit LAN ports, integral VPN, integral torrent, real routing options, etc.
    Suitable Asus routers start from around £8 via CEX with 2 years warranty, or £5+ from the bay.
    Most recently discussed with examples at hotukdeals.com/com…048

Couple a CEX-sourced router with the suggested CEX-sourced 5G handset and you have two warranted years of operation - including CEX providing two years warranty on a non-removable / sealed phone battery operation (assuming the 20R model has n-r bat).
    bozo007
    5G hotspots are still very expensive compared to 4G. 5G signal is also iffy where I stay whereas 4G hits over 100 Mbps consistently, which is more than enough for me. Check signal and speed first before buying. (edited)
    DaveG46
    There was this if the code still works hotukdeals.com/sha…096 also less than 100 quid from cex on another deal 😁
    Ferris
    If you just want to tether you can pick up a fully working 5g phone with a cracked screen on the bay for as little as £13 (the cheapest I've bought) or even £10 (the cheapest I've seen and missed out on...)
    aLV426
    Can you provide the make/model?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants