Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Avoiding roaming charges o2 when in Turkey

Posted 6th Jun 2023
I am looking for some advice please.

I don't want to pay the daily £6 charge to use my phone as I don't plan to make any calls. However, I do want to check emails, etc, and WhatsApp, which I will do via WiFi in the hotel.

How do I ensure I don't get any additional charges as I see 02 charge £2 a minute to receive a call, and I assume they also charge for voicemail received but I think receiving texts will be free.

Will switching data roaming off stop me from getting calls and voicemail and texts? or do I need to also put in airplane mode, which isn't ideal, as that also switches off wifi so I won't be able to check emails.

A local SIM isn't really an option as my main number is what I have given to my airport transfer provider and airline, who made need to contact me if any issues

I haven't been in this situation previously as almost worldwide roaming used to be included on my previous network a few years ago-which I know has ended on most networks apart from in EU.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I was looking at a Turkish Sim before and I came up with this one as the best one.
    Prepaid Tourist SIM Türkiye
    I suggested the 75Gb to him and it works out at about £7.10, you can supposedly pick them up quite easily.
    Might be better to join on of the similar threads like the hotukdeals.com/dea…298

Plenty of advice there. Going without data in Turkey will be inconvenient if you like to research local attractions and navigation on the go.
    Airplane mode on or simply remove the SIM.

Even with airplane mode on, you can still enable WiFi. If you keep it set like this before you leave the UK you’ll likely find that you can still use WiFi calling to stay connected at UK rates too as it won’t know you’re roaming.

It’s also advisable to switch off voicemail before you go. If your phone ever connects to a foreign network there, it will handle voicemail forwarding as a call and you’ll be charged for each time someone calls you to leave a message.

Switching off data roaming generally isn’t enough. Some devices still try to transmit a few KB of data when they’re first switched on for whatever reason - despite the data being disabled in the settings.
    Switch data roaming off but that doesn't stop you from receiving calls or texts. Receiving SMS text messages is free but sending is not. Calls are charged whether receiving or making; just cancel any incoming call if you get one. Putting in airplane mode doesn't mean you can't use wifi - put it in airplane mode, then just switch on wifi - that is what I do on long haul flights when wifi is available. (edited)
    1) Turning data roaming off will do exactly that and you will still be able to make/receive calls and texts
    2) After going in airplane mode, you can still turn Wi-Fi back on manually to use it as normal
    Buy a eSim in advance if your phone is compatable, i think they are data only though.
    airalo.com/tur…sim
    Author
    Thanks everyone for the replies
    If u put a £0 spend cap, does that stop roaming charges?
    I travel to turkey a lot from the Uk I put £0 spend cap on and turn off roaming data never have any charges use the free WiFi in hotels bars restaurants and shops I go that often my phone automatically picks them all up you can also hire a WiFi box over there around £20 for 1 week allows around up to 6-8 devices to connect to it at same time with unlimited data
    you can buy additional data for few quid from your app store to use use abroad please check it up. Hope this helps
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants