Cash in lieu Settlement for Car Repairs?

Posted 24th Nov 2015
Recently involved in an accident and the third party has admitted liability. I am currently going through the 3rd parties insurer. I’ve had the insurer approved garage look at my car and I’ve had my local Audi dealers approved garage look at my car. The Audi approved garage estimate came in at almost 3x as much. The 3rd party insurer has now approved for them to do it if I choose to go with them.

Having had the initial engineers report from the insurers approved garage the cost of repairs was quite cheap. Labour costs were around £25ph and even my local garage isn’t that cheap. I was slightly sceptical and obviously asking for a cash offer at this point would have been based on that estimate. I paid to get an estimate done at an approved Audi garage and as I mentioned that cost came in at around 3x as much. I figure the actual cost of getting my car repaired is probably somewhere in between. So was hoping to use the two estimates as a way of getting of getting slightly better cash in lieu settlement so as to get the repairs done myself.

I haven’t actually authorised anyone at this point to carry out any repairs. I’m just wondering if there is still the option for me to take cash in lieu?

I’ve spoken to the claims dept of the 3rd party insurer and they’ve said cash in lieu is not longer available as I’ve agreed to have my car repaired? (Which I actually hadn’t)

Is this true? Surely if they offer and i accepted a cash in leiu offer of less than what they would pay the Audi approved garage it would be beneficial for both parties?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    sowotsdis
    Yes you can ask for the cash as you have not agreed to or authorised any repairs.
    Do you have legal cover -if so they'll sort it.
    Tell them you will appoint a solicitor which will also involve any other losses such as hire car as long as yours is off the road so they'd better settle quick the cheeky arrogant money grabbers!
    bigweapon07
    You should just let your insurer deal with it all. Dont get involved with third party as if you remotely say yes to something you will be accepting full and final settlement.
    Ash_patel1232 Author
    I dont have legal cover and I did consider letting my insurer deal with it - However was hoping that by not getting my insurer involved I’d avoid paying the excess on starting the claim ( I know I’d get this back as 3rd party has admitted liability). More importantly as I’d not be going through my insurer it shouldn’t really affect my premium on renewal - apart from letting them be aware of the accident they wouldn’t need to be involved with it – i could just say that it was settled by the 3rd party.
    (edited)
    bigweapon07
    king132

I dont have legal cover and I did consider letting my insurer deal with … I dont have legal cover and I did consider letting my insurer deal with it - However was hoping that by not getting my insurer involved I’d avoid paying the excess on starting the claim ( I know I’d get this back as 3rd party has admitted liability). More importantly as I’d not be going through my insurer it shouldn’t really affect my premium on renewal - apart from letting them be aware of the accident they wouldn’t need to be involved with it – i could just say that it was settled by the 3rd party.

If you go through your insurer and they get everything it will not affect your premium. Ive got one on mine and my premium was not affected. Also the insurer will not ask for excess payment unless something has to be paid that they cant get back. Also if any further issues go wrong at least your still protected as your insurer will still be liable under the same claim.
    Mermoo
    Yes, you can still get a cash settlement, but you need to be adamant and perhaps slightly aggressive to get through to these people on a power trip.
    bigweapon07
    Mermoo

Yes, you can still get a cash settlement, but you need to be adamant and … Yes, you can still get a cash settlement, but you need to be adamant and perhaps slightly aggressive to get through to these people on a power trip.

Agree. Like the phrase 'ive got a doctors appointment in the morning'
    Argoj
    Unfortunately any cash offer they make will now be based on a % of their repair costs from the approved garage that made the quote. As others have stated you should have gone through your own insurers. You will still have to let them know about the accident.

When I had somebody pull out in front of me my own insurers were brilliant, Aviva, arranged next day for car to be picked up and a courtesy car to be delivered, vouchers sent for child seat replacement etc. I didn't have to pay any excess, It really was as hassle free as possible. The most aggravating thing was their insurer kept calling and trying to get me to let them deal.
    kash2013
    Yes u can take a cash settlement as o have done it before in the past. But if u are not vat registered or the garage is not vat registered then they sometimes will not pay the vat until u provide with a vat invoice once the works carried out. But other insurance companies in the past have also piad out the vat at the start.
    Gynx
    bigweapon07

If you go through your insurer and they get everything it will not affect … If you go through your insurer and they get everything it will not affect your premium. Ive got one on mine and my premium was not affected. Also the insurer will not ask for excess payment unless something has to be paid that they cant get back. Also if any further issues go wrong at least your still protected as your insurer will still be liable under the same claim.

I agree entirely with the renewal not being effected once the claim has been settled as a non-fault, the rumours of the premium always going up didn't come true, but it's not always the case with the excess, I was in a non-fault collision, went through my own insurer and effectively it's put through as a claim until monies are paid by the third parties insurer, so they wanted the excess up front, and no claims bonus lost, it was eventually repaid and ncb reinstated but about six-eight months later.
    Ash_patel1232 Author
    Thanks for all the replies. I have contacted my insurer to pursue the cash in lieu claim on my behalf.

Can anyone confirm if the cash in lieu settlement is based purely on the repair cost? I did have to pay a small fee to get the Audi estimate done (£60 something to do with generating an estimate on Audatex). I’ve also wasted a few hours chasing the 3rd parties’ insurer on the phone/ getting an estimate of repairs. Is any of this additional time and cost to me claimable?
    Argoj

king132

Thanks for all the replies. I have contacted my insurer to pursue the … Thanks for all the replies. I have contacted my insurer to pursue the cash in lieu claim on my behalf.Can anyone confirm if the cash in lieu settlement is based purely on the repair cost? I did have to pay a small fee to get the Audi estimate done (£60 something to do with generating an estimate on Audatex). I’ve also wasted a few hours chasing the 3rd parties’ insurer on the phone/ getting an estimate of repairs. Is any of this additional time and cost to me claimable?

No it was your choice to get the additional quote.
    (edited)
's avatar
Top Merchants