Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Costly repairs on a recently brought car

Posted 13th Apr 2023
So update on my VW Golf 1.5TSI: 6 weeks after buying the 21 plate (with 43k mileage) from a large dealership I got the amber alert for checking the brake pads. I was advised by the dealership to take it to VW due to the warranty. Taking it to VW, they've now advised that all of the brake pads need replacing (currently 3mm) at a cost of £450. I appreciate it will be cheaper at a normal garage. But in terms of only having the car 6 weeks and driving it around 1000 miles, any advice on how to approach the dealer who've been unhelpful up to this point? Or have I no hope in getting help with this cost? They did say previously that wear and tear isn't covered but I didn't expect this so soon into my purchase.
Community Updates
New Comment

30 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    TyroneH
    I’d be taking it back to the dealership and going to trading standards.
    spoo
    I doubt you'd have a case for worn out brake pads as it's normal wear and tear.

They are extracting the urine with the price though, I'd definitely be going to an independent garage for that job.
    Deedie
    Do you need to get it done at a dealer to maintain the warranty. I didn't think that was the case
    MicroManaged
    No. So long as it is a VAT reg garage using OEM parts then warranty is valid. But brakes won't carry any warranty anyway so you may as well do it yourself. (edited)
    trs020382
    Seeing as the pads aren't down to the metal, I'd take a printed quote from VW noting the current level. The price is irrelevant at this point.

Take all of that to the garage that you bought it from them and calmly explain to them that while you appreciate that on paper the card is roadworthy, you expect that prior to purchase basic maintenance tasks would be carried out and would appreciate it if they could resolve the problem ASAP. I think you've got a chance with the pads, but tbh you should have checked the tyres yourself when you looked at the car and asked for them to be changed as part of the sale.

Go all in for the pads, and then perhaps offer a compromise where you pay for the parts and they cover the labour.
    EndlessWaves
    It's maintenance rather than repairs, both items are consumables that you can expect might need replacing after 40,000 miles on any car.

When the car was sold did the garage say anything to lead you to believe the car would be maintenance free for the next year or whatever?
    CalmerChameleon
    I'd say take the car back to the garage you bought it from with the quote from VW and ask them to change them. They're right in a sense that brakes are not covered by warranty but a car should fit for purpose when sold and if the brakes were nearly gone when you received it (6 weeks and 1000 miles wouldn't have worn it out that much), then it was sold in bad faith.

Ask them to change the brakes or you will take the complaint to their head office or you will reject the car. (edited)
    no_excuse
    This is cheap, a friend has a lease ipace took it in for a charging issue. They did a quick check advised it needed rear pads cost £870.00 fitted, he asked if they could do a better price. The manager came back with £750.00 ! He took it to his local garage cost him £60 fitted.
    MicroManaged
    But you don't need to brake with an EV, let alone wear out rear pads???
    Toon_army
    Is it just front pads or do you have discs on the back as well? £450 sounds absolutely insane
    taytaytaytay Author
    Front and rear need doing. Yes definitely expensive. It's either fix it now whilst in the garage or wait potentially a few weeks for a local mechanic to be available.
    taytaytaytay Author
    Edit: tyres are also low but still have a few months on them according to VW. They're 3mm.
    JimboParrot
    Just seen your post re: tyres. With that now the third issue perhaps start reading up on rejecting a car, although you may only have 30 days in which to do this, and it is not always as straightforward as it should be.
    MicroManaged
    Was it bought from a VW dealer? If so, where is the 123213 point health check sheet they do? When they produce this and its all green, ask them how the brake pads have worn so much in 1000 miles. (edited)
    JimboParrot
    Did you get the oil light issues sorted? You did say it had been serviced prior to you getting it, in which case then 1,000 miles later there should surely have been a 'note' about potential brake pad replacement.

Sadly though I bet they will say ...'buyer beware...'
    taytaytaytay Author
    Yes they said it's too full that's why. But don't know why it's only flagged up now. That was also causing the engine to rattle. And yes they serviced it before we brought it. Don't think we have a report of their checks.
    Mark_Hickman
    What area are you in ? 450 in laughable
    SaturdayGigs
    OP never returned
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants