Foundation for a shed

Posted 6th Apr 2023
I've been getting some quotes to replace an existing area of grass with a solid foundation which in time would be used for a shed.

The quotes range from £1000-£3000 which makes me wonder either someone is trying to rip me off or someone is using inadequate materials.

What would be the required mixture/foundation for this purpose so when I place a shed the foundation doesn't sink or form dips in a few years time?
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Mark_Hickman
    I just dug out a 50mm deep 12x8 rectangle 3 years ago and put a 50mm deep full mortar bed with 2x2 slabs on top, cost me £40 sand/cement, £96 slabs.
    It had a 1.5 tonne hot tub on it for a month before putting my shed on it and it hasn't budged at all after 3 years
    Justintime12
    Same here. A shed doesn't need foundations etc

Got my slabs from Free cycle for free. Shed like new 15 years later
    leitchyleck
    amazon.co.uk/Nea…c=1

something like that, fill with pea gravel or shingle, research!
    ASongOfIceandFire
    Second that I’m yet to(will do) but family have done this with multiple sheds IF it supports a car it can support a shed, added bonus of drainage rather than it sit on concrete slab! (edited)
    MicroManaged
    I just had 8x6 on bearers on loose slabs at old house. 10yrs on it never moved an inch.
    Doesn't need a "pad", just needs to be off the ground and level.

shedbasekits.com/ (edited)
    Mark_Hickman
    Managed to find images of mine, so just filled the hole with sand/cement mix then slabs over top, dont need anything more unless its a brick shed
    49936532-HZ9cE.jpg49936532-69jIo.jpg
    newbie68
    My goodness, please don't pay that sort of money for a shed base. That being said, it is important to have it level and firm, but as a DIY project it's not overly difficult and many many you tube videos will guide you. Depending on it's position drainage might need to be considered

If this is beyond your ability/skill, then avoid tradesmen and look to a 'handyman'. Almost all of them will be capable of such a task.
    I dont think anyone is trying to rip you off, but... I've known tradespeople to give wild quotes if they don't really want the job. They'll take the job if you'll pay, but they're busy enough already so they over-quote.

Not entirely unreasonable - if I had to work extra hours at work I'd want double time for it too, or I'd turn it down. And that's basically what they're doing.
    tardytortoise
    your quotes should break down materials and labour so you are then better to judge.
    EndlessWaves
    'Shed' does cover a fair range of buildings. If you're just talking about a cheap, lightweight shed that's only going to house a couple of bikes and some garden tools then you don't need much.
    Willy_Wonka
    Don't they sell rubber/plastic based layers that you can cut to size?

So long as the water can run away from the bottom wood it will be fine.

Like this amazon.co.uk/GAR…8-8
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants