How can Argos sell Used / Returns / Re-packaged goods at New prices? Isn't this illegal?

Posted 18th Oct 2016
Just bought a fan heater today from Argos and when I collected it, I noticed that cellotape had manually been applied over the box and it looked tatty.
The item itself looked marked up, so I asked for another one to be sent down.
The second one was in far worse condition.
The Argos worker said that can sell items which have been returned, which was news to me.

Low and behold, when I got home and tried the fan, it is making a loud clicking noise on any setting and is marked up under the heater and has scratches.

I am disgusted that ARGOS are selling goods which have been re-packed, are clearly used and perhaps even refurbs and charging FULL PRICE as if it was new.

Is this not illegal? How can they charge full price for re-packed goods? Amazon have warehouse deals for returned goods and charge accordingly, but Argos must think consumers won't notice or complain.... Not me, i'm onto head office and will be making an example of them over this policy.

Anyone else had similar experiences buying Argos products and finding that they were used or re-packaged?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

33 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    alisanegin
    i used to work for argos, accepting used returns is a huge problem which i always found bizarre and embarrassing. the returns policy is actually the same as most places, it’s not as relaxed as it has a reputation for being, but for some reason the managers are the ones who don’t enforce policy. there were plenty of times i tried to refuse to refund a customer for an item which was clearly used and not faulty, but it would usually result in the customer getting angry and demanding to speak to a manager because they were so used to returns always being accepted. the manager would then undermine me and accept it, and afterwards tell me it wasn’t worth the hassle and to just stick an “opened and examined” sticker on the box. and when i say this happened all the time i mean daily. just as often i would be picking items from the stockroom to hand out to customers, and i would be forced to hand out items which were scratched, dented, covered in thick dust, you name it. at one point i was spending more time cleaning and mending items before handing them out than actually working. it was so embarrassing handing out items that were in such awful condition to customers who i knew had paid full price, and who i knew were just going to look at me as if i was an ***hole and shout at me. no matter how many times i addressed this to managers they would always shrug it off as if it was the least of their concerns. i imagine they turn such a blind eye to it because argos makes almost 0 profit on their goods and they have so many overheads, so they are desperate to retain sales and don’t want to damage items off. they would much rather re-sell faulty/used items and shove insurance and argos cards down every customers throat. the last straw for me was when i picked an order from the stockroom for a men’s rotary shaver, i noticed the box looked used so i opened it to check the item. i was disgusted to find the shaver covered in hair and the charger just messily shoved in on top. still can’t get my head around how they can excuse it
    jamstaruk1972
    get a life, someone could have bought it found it was to large or small or not suitable returned it to argos being a reputable seller "allowing them to do so" and taped it back up to resell.and how do you ACTUALLY know it was repacked ive worked in places that look like item were repacked when they wernt thats the way they arrived from supplier,fan heaters generally click anyway btw .

also love the is this not illegal quote lol if it is why not call the cops instead of argos head office?

(edited)
    Kevin_Langley
    You mean call the "police" We are not in America.
    Toon_army
    Here's a good one for you regarding Argos...

Last September I bought an Amazon FireTV stick from them. When it came out for my collection I could see the seal had been broken on both sides, I asked for another one! The guy said some crap about they check items for quality protection to see there good quality! I He said it was the last one in store... I opened the box in front of him and knew where everything should be but everything was in the wrong place. I took it anyways knowing I could return it if it was broken or faulty... When I got home and set it to my WiFi it was already logged into somebody's Amazon Prime account. I couldn't believe my eyes, so I'm guessing they bought it, didn't like it but didn't de-register and it's still logged in as them to watch all of Amazon Prime content.
    Sharpharp Author
    jamstaruk1972

get a life, someone could have bought it found it was to large or small … get a life, someone could have bought it found it was to large or small or not suitable returned it to argos being a reputable seller "allowing them to do so" and taped it back up to resell.and how do you ACTUALLY know it was repacked ive worked in places that look like item were repacked when they wernt thats the way they arrived from supplier,fan heaters generally click anyway btw .also love the is this not illegal quote lol if it is why not call the cops instead of argos head office?

Perhaps I need to explain it in even simpler terms to you, as you seem a little immature to comment.
    In terms of how I know it was re-packed, well the fact the plug was loose with the tie-wrap separate and the instructions covered in dirty fingerprints... does that not qualify as re-packed in your troll world?

Nothing to do with the police, its a trading standards issue.
    Maybe this concept is a bit to alien to you, but if I pay full price for an item, I expect a NEW item. If I want a re-packed effort, i'd buy from amazon warehouse or ebay at the reduced price, knowing what to expect.

Shame on Argos. I don't have an issue with them re-selling returns, but don't palm them off at full price, stick them on ebay argos and say they are returns. That's the issue and as always, I always get things put right one way or another
    Sharpharp Author
    rhysccfc31

It's not illegal.. some customers before you will return an item saying … It's not illegal.. some customers before you will return an item saying they haven't used it just opened the box. Argos as said in a previous post have a relaxed returns policy so just accept the return back and sellotape the box back together.It's unfortunate you picked up one that had been used.. but going to head office.. Jesus just take it back and get a new one, stop being pathetic.

Did u bother to read my post before engaging your brain? I already said they brought another one down while I was there and that one was in even worse condition... They don't appear to have any new ones, so yes I will go to head office and beyond to make a point. In fact, the wheels are already in motion.
    This isn't just about me, it's a matter of principle for all consumers. i.e. If you pay full price, then expect a new and boxed item, not a cellotaped return.

Like I said, I don't have an issue with Argos selling returns, but don't expect me to take a blatant returned item when I've paid full price. They should use an Argos outlet or sell as Open box on ebay like others do, and not via their highstreet stores.

(edited)
    Raymond_Jones
    Rude person!
    steveblackman
    why post a question then insult people who reply. odd.
    Raymond_Jones
    Yes, there's no need to be rude.
    Anonymous User
    I bought a bed from argos in 2014. It would t go together because the holes were drilled into it a little off where they should have been. The bed was cleated and a new one delivered. When I removed it fro it packaging, it was scuffed and scratched and had dust it. It came put of a box! The wooden slats were benter, as if someone had been sleeping in it. That doesn't happen over night. The bed was returned and replaced with a new bed of a different model, they gave me a more expensive bed but it lasted about 6 ,o the begot the metal frame started ending apart and the bolts shearING off and coming loose.
    Christmas just goneed (2017) I went to the Ebbw Vale store and bought my children a psvr bundle for the ps4. (Virtual reality headset and camera) I always check things before I wrap them because you never know.... It was lucky that I did. The headset was scratched to deatH, there were finger prints All over the lense inside, the inner box was ripped and the camera was missing. I took it back to the store and demanded some answers as to why I had just paid £299 for a brand new psvr and was given a second hand unit that clearly handed even been tested after it was returned. I was told it their policy to sell on returned items. Carefully check everything you buy from Argos. As it happens, there is legislation in place to protect the consumer from this deception. Dixon was taken to court btrading standards for doing the exact same thing.
    nipstyler
    I bought a watch for my mother last Christmas. Didn't open the box wrapped it up and forgot about it till Christmas. When she opened it there was no watch inside. Obviously you can imagine how annoyed I was. It obviously took some explaining but eventually they agreed they were a watch over stocked without a box. I now check every item no matter how big or small before leaving the store.
    cecilmcroberts
    Well to put it another way if we all went and bought what we wanted, returned it knowing then the store had to sell at discount price afterwards would most of us not all do it? This practice and the new distance selling regulations are also putting consumer pricing up with the cost of returns,checking, restocking etc having to go somewhere. I was always actually amazed at Amazon doing what they do. Example being footwear, when you buy from a physical store do you know how many people may have already tried that pair on? Do they have to sell everything that someone has tried on cheaper. You could go on and on.
    caffeinated
    This was about 4 years ago now, so clearly this isn't a new thing with them! My partner bought me a hairdryer that I wanted for Christmas from Argos. Opened it on Christmas morning only to realise the plastic was scratched and the logo on the side half scratched off. It looked like someone had been using it for months. Took it back and exchanged it for one that was actually new no problem, but it was just annoying to have to do that.
    I have no issue with shops repacking and reselling returns as new when they are still in new condition, but it seems that there's the odd thing for sale in Argos that is definitely not in what you would call resaleable condition.
    CaptCShadow
    I got a Vax vacuum cleaner for £50 (usually £100 - £200 I think) from Amazon because it had a dent in the box.
    I opened it and everything was there, but the plastic tube was damaged so I couldn't attach it. Took a hammer to it and it was fine.

Aside that and being reviewed as a vacuum cleaner that, "sucks too much", it was brand new and clearly never been used.

Was very pleased with this service.
    FrampyStinkwonkel
    They can't and have been pulled up about several times over the years.
    mutley1
    Argos has a very relaxed refund policy but then they sell them on as new so I often find boxes have been opened and cellotaped back but they still work fine so not been too bothered.
    ggmurray
    Same thing happened to me when i bought a child stair gate. Its really annoying as when i got home, as everyone said, the tape was obviously re-stuck down. And then when i opened it up there was actually pieces missing form the box. When i went to return it, i was questioned why i was returning it and was everything in the box.
    Also it is just the inconveience of having to drive back tot he place to return it as well. I know it sounds petty but its wasting their time to check it again, our time to get there.
    rhysccfc31
    It's not illegal.. some customers before you will return an item saying they haven't used it just opened the box. Argos as said in a previous post have a relaxed returns policy so just accept the return back and sellotape the box back together.

It's unfortunate you picked up one that had been used.. but going to head office.. Jesus just take it back and get a new one, stop being pathetic.
    RossD89
    rhysccfc31

It's not illegal.. some customers before you will return an item saying … It's not illegal.. some customers before you will return an item saying they haven't used it just opened the box. Argos as said in a previous post have a relaxed returns policy so just accept the return back and sellotape the box back together.It's unfortunate you picked up one that had been used.. but going to head office.. Jesus just take it back and get a new one, stop being pathetic.

Complete rubbish!

Just because Argos fail to check their products when people return them does not excuse them for selling used products as new or make it any less illegal.
    (edited)
    rhysccfc31
    RossD89

Complete rubbish!Just because Argos fail to check their products when … Complete rubbish!Just because Argos fail to check their products when people return them does not excuse them for selling used products as new or make it any less illegal.

So what do you class as used then? Because if they don't check the item how do they know if it's used? Do you class used as the box being opened?

Maybe they should check returned items, but that's a different matter, going on about being illegal is laughable. As far as they are concerned the item has been unused just the box has been opened which is LEGAL.
    jude7219
    I always check the tape and seals on anything I buy from Argos now. Ive got home a few times with boxes that have been retaped up only to find bits missing or damaged. Index used to be the worse one for that to the point where I stopped using them completely. Dont mind them reselling but they need to check everything is in mint condition before passing it back out again and that is where they fail.
    RossD89
    rhysccfc31

So what do you class as used then? Because if they don't check the item … So what do you class as used then? Because if they don't check the item how do they know if it's used? Do you class used as the box being opened? Maybe they should check returned items, but that's a different matter, going on about being illegal is laughable. As far as they are concerned the item has been unused just the box has been opened which is LEGAL.

What is laughable is your assumption that just because Argos are ignorant to the fact that a returned item has been used (due to them not checking returns properly) that it exempts them from the law.
    rhysccfc31
    RossD89

What is laughable is your assumption that just because Argos are ignorant … What is laughable is your assumption that just because Argos are ignorant to the fact that a returned item has been used (due to them not checking returns properly) that it exempts them from the law.

You prove that they knew it had been used and they purposely sold it knowing it had. Let me know how far you get.
    rhysccfc31
    Sharpharp

Did u bother to read my post before engaging your brain? I already said … Did u bother to read my post before engaging your brain? I already said they brought another one down while I was there and that one was in even worse condition... They don't appear to have any new ones, so yes I will go to head office and beyond to make a point. In fact, the wheels are already in motion. This isn't just about me, it's a matter of principle for all consumers. i.e. If you pay full price, then expect a new and boxed item, not a cellotaped return.Like I said, I don't have an issue with Argos selling returns, but don't expect me to take a blatant returned item when I've paid full price. They should use an Argos outlet or sell as Open box on ebay like others do, and not via their highstreet stores.

Really got too much time on your hands, happened to me before from another big name store, I just took it back, they apologised and gave me a new one. It happens, not the end of the world.

And don't say it's for all consumers, you're just trying to make a quick £10 gift card.
    lidds
    Yep I don't use them anymore because of it.

I bought a garden strimmer a while ago and the box was really battered and clearly re packaged.
    I ask for another but was told it was the last one, and it's just the box the product is absolutely brand new.
    Got back to the car and opened to check and it was covered In scratches and grass stains !!! When I took it back they had the cheek to tell me it had never been used.!!
    Raymond_Jones
    sadly that's argos all over, they've gone so bad I'm not going to use them again if I can help it.
    Anonymous User
    I got a customer return from tesco it was classed as manufacture refurbished it was a Samsung TV for a lot less than they sell for normally so not all companies re sell returns as new.
    Anonymous User
    ​ [img]file:///storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.tippingcanoe.hukd/files/Pictures/thread2530617/1476895389613_transformed.png[/img]
    GAVINLEWISHUKD
    Should have just put a jumper on! X)

Nothing illegal, but if your not happy just vote with your feet.
    Raymond_Jones
    Best reply here.
    louiselouise
    I must be quite lucky, I'm near the big Glasgow store and can't remember ever getting (suspected) returns from there - though I'm sure it happens.

Probably best to shop somewhere else, I've heard of Argos doing this for years!
    Kevin_Langley
    It makes me wonder why Argos always gets so many faulty items. I don't buy from there if I can help it. I normally avoid it because it seems that a lot of the time I've had to return items that have been faulty.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants