How to keep towels soft and fluffy?

Posted 9th Feb 2023
I bought some nice towels and just washed them, now they are not so soft or fluffy how can you keep them soft and fluffy without using a tumble dryer? They are not cheap ones either. Used Fairy pods and no fabric conditioner as I know they reduce absorbency.

I need exact methods please! I tried so many different things, changed detergents, got a water softener, used white vinegar, lined dried, used a dehumidifier, tried different wash cycles on my Samsung Ecobubble washing machine.

I am ready to go to the launderette and pay to use the tumble dryer at this rate, but it's £1 for 10 mins, would I need to do it straight from the washing machine or can I line dry for a bit then tumble for 10 mins or vice versa?

Any advice would be appreciated please!
Community Updates
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    windym
    I line dry (inside when cold outside when it';s warm) and then tumble dry for a little bit. I only buy Egyptian cotton towels from John Lewis as they 'absorb' moisture brilliantly and keep soft and absorbent. I find 'fluffy' towels tend to push the moisture over your body rather than absorbing it. But that's not to say my towels aren't soft, they are.
    melted
    A quick google reveals someone has done some actual scientific research on the subject and the real cause of the stiffness of air dried towels is the small amount of water that is naturally retained by the cotton (bound water) and this binds the cotton fibres together. Cotton is mostly cellulose and apparently this forms strong hydrogen bonds with water.

Their solution to return the fluffiness: remove the bound water by putting them in a vacuum chamber and heating it. Or if you don't own a vacuum chamber you could tumble dry them instead of line drying.

As the article suggests it is the mechanical action of the tumble dryer that breaks the hydrogen bonds, it is possible that even a cold or low temperature tumble after they are dry might soften them up enough without using that much electricity, but if not finish them in the dryer while they are still a little damp.

insidescience.org/new…ine

I use fabric conditioner and tumble dry mine. (edited)
    Attic45
    Line dry and then tumble dry is good.

But as a man who prefers the hard sand paper like feel of an old towel rather than drying myself with a fluffy cloud, i might not be the best to listen to.
    razo
    Agreed, why the hell would you want soft towels?

I want to feel scoured!

There's no better feeling than removing the top layer of yourself.
    darlodge
    Following with interest Our towels are like 5ft sheets of sandpaper.
    iCrazyCarrots
    No idea as I’m a bloke but if you need advice on putting a shelf up then I’m your man
    airbus330
    Air dry then Refresh short cycle in the tumble dryer.
    Apparently if you wash towels in a rammed washing machine they don't rinse properly and the residue detergent is part of the problem.
    CardboardCutout
    A bit of distilled vinegar instead of softener in the drawer will remove any additional detergents left on the towels.
    mungylee
    We've tried every 'hack' and tip going.

Putting them in the dryer is the only way, unfortunately.
    Mark_Hickman
    Tumble dry is really the only option, a heat pump tumble dryer makes them much softer and really fluffy and has the added benefit of using only 20 odd pence per load from wet.
    Even if your laudry is already dry, it'll take a good half an hour to soften them up a bit at laundrette, is a dryer at home not an option ?
    If you could buy a heat pump dryer you'd be able to skip the hassle of trying to air everything dry and it costs pennies, obviously you'd have the cost of buying the machine though (edited)
    funkygal Author
    Interesting, I could consider getting one as we do have the space, is it really 20p per load? How long would it take to dry? Do you put the towels in straight after washing in the washing machine?
    cliosport65
    Tumble dry only for soft and fluffy towels
    newbie68
    Hope you believe some of what you read - but it's true the only way is tumble dry. I also use top quality towels and despite them being dry or near dry a 20 min run in the dryer softens them up again. Longer makes them even softer, but I don't want them too soft. I prefer a little bight on my towels
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants