I need a hero (and a new vacuum) urgently

Posted 11th Apr 2023
G-Tech AirRam has snuffed it. Can't be repaired.

Need a new cordless vacuum urgently - two messy very young children. Crumb carnage.

Thinking about a Shark but know nothing about them other than they're highly recommended.

Please help!
Community Updates
New Comment

24 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    tinkerbellian
    Love my shark , lift away , corded , anti hair wrap , works a treat , lots better than my old Dyson , which I felt were never the same after manufacture left the U.K.
    Shark feels more sturdy , better build , definitely better cleaning power . Did a lot of research before I got mine ( the particular model seems to have been replaced now ) , cordless models had far worse reviews though . Oh and I love the light at the front which shows every speck of dust as you are cleaning .
    Minus point , has a tendency to tip over if you stretch the hose too much .
    Mark_Hickman
    Are you comparing your mains powered shark suction to a 5 year old cordless dyson ?
    squiff Author
    That's quite helpful, but the fact that the GTech and Shark are continually referred to as Hoovers is very off-putting.
    Ivor-NoReasonToCare
    I own a shark, I don't recommend.

Previously owned a Dyson (corded) not comparable in the slightest. I have the IZ300(?) And would send it back in a heartbeat if they would give my money back.
    Deedie
    I bought the Samsung bespoke jet recently. I like it a lot. Never compared it to any other ones though
    tcf
    Ask on Freecycle and you'll probably get something to put you on for now.
    xenophon
    My mum loves her Shark. I have a Vax which is good and before that a Black and Decker which surprised me on how well it picked up for the price.
    Mark_Hickman
    I started off with a dyson v10 gave that to my parents then got the v11 and now have the samsung bespoke jet 90 too which is the most powerful of the 3.
    Id recommend getting a samsung if you can afford it because the quality is better in my opinion although the dyson is still a great choice and not far behind i just feel the samsung wins due to extending pipes, easier to disassemble and clean heads muxh faster, plus the dust bin and filters are far better designed
    harrythefish
    I have the v11 and at least they sent me a new trigger mechanism and its housing, which accounts for about a third of the entire device for free under warranty. It's a fair DIY job to refit. Before claiming under the warranty I'd had a look at what broke, never seen such a flimsy design concept once you open it up and look. Nevertheless the Dyson brand has been easy to get spares and aftermarket accessories for, per previous experience.
    Amy04029
    My 4 year old gtech air ram recently died too, I bought a shark anti hair wrap as a replacement. Big mistake, imo has absolutely nothing on the gtech. Managed to sell it on for a small loss and went and bought another gtech.
    So in a nutshell go buy another gtech
    squiff Author
    Oh dear, so the cordless Sharks aren't very good then?

Can't have corded. Plugging and unplugging as we move round the house is a faff (we have heavy furniture on front of most sockets and only places for extensions are not easily accessible either - ie between sofa & sideboard or bed and bedside table). Don't really want another GTech if I'm honest. After a year the damn thing developed a fault and GTech tried to put it right but couldn't. The battery was going from 4 bars, to 3, then suddenly to 1. They sent a replacement battery which did the exact same thing so they sent a new base unit which houses the motor but weirdly the problem persisted. It limped on like that for another 4 years. Will be quite happy to take it to the tip. It was also not very good at cleaning edges or corners of rooms and did definitely lose suction as it aged even though GTech claim they don't.
    Cisco060606
    I spend £189 on shark cordless on black Friday 2021. It is good for what I paid it for.

However, my £200 corded shark is better on carpet. The downside is corded vacuum cleaner is a bit heavy and I live in a 3 storey house.

It all depends how much you want to spend. (edited)
    psychobitchfromhell
    I've had a gtech and that was great, but couldn't cope with a dog, two cats and a new carpet. I now have a shark. It is great, but it isn't easy to push around, and I know you've had problems with your back. It works well, but it is a workout in itself.
    aLV426
    I got the original upright Hoover as a gift as the inlaws bought it during the free airmiles promotion. It died due to hair build up on the rollers!. Switched to a Dyson (DC02) and never looked back - I've replaced the filters and the plastic wand part twice (due to it wearing out!). I'll stick to my DC02, I suppose you can;t really compare it to anything available today though?
    italondonistaavataurino
    I'm a hero who've just suddenly woken up in the middle of the night to provide you a link:

google.com/search?q=bhfev362da-gb&client=ms-android-samsung-gn-rev1&sxsrf=APwXEddwBNrU2jOrvcP0xw70maFrlrp7sA%3A1681268178416&ei=0h02ZNWIGc3dgQbf_6a4Bw&oq=BHFEV362DA&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADIKCAAQRxDWBBCwAzIKCAAQRxDWBBCwAzIKCAAQRxDWBBCwAzIKCAAQRxDWBBCwAzIKCAAQRxDWBBCwAzIKCAAQRxDWBBCwAzIKCAAQRxDWBBCwAzIKCAAQRxDWBBCwA0oECEEYAFAAWABg9xpoAXAAeACAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQDIAQjAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

I paid £149.15 on Amazon on the 23rd of October for it:

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088FYDSNX/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Important: buy the 36v battery version. It destroys every other cordless vacuum cleaner, value for money-wise.

Cheapest spare battery equivalent to original genuine:
    amazon.co.uk/dp/B092C8GJFF/?coliid=I22MRB7T8ZKUZW&colid=28ITVS6WXT8NU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Good luck with your cleaning adventures (got a golden retriever and kids,I sometimes vacuum them directly ).
    Got my cape and milk and back to sleep now
    Forgot: for less than 3.6kg this cordless B&D destroys my 6 kg corded Shark. (edited)
    Anonymous User
    I paid 60£ Facebook marketplace for small dyon ball, we use this once a week or 2 weekly because our eufy robot vacuum is what does day to day

Having a plugin in better for deep cleans personally would recommend going the approach like this , wireless for mopping up crumbs and plugging hoover for big clean
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants