Is it possible to use a Sky+ HD box to watch All 4 and ITV Player without a subscription?

Posted 29th May 2017
Is it possible to watch All 4 and ITV hub on a Sky+ HD box without a subscription? Trying to help someone who has lost these functions on their smart TV after an update. The box is working fine as a Freesat box with no subscription, but I was quite surprised to find I can't get any of the catch up services to work. I wouldn't even mind if the Freesat didn't work, I was hoping to use it more like a NOW TV box.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You can watch most of free to air channels using Sky HD+ box without subscription, if a sky card is present within box. No catchup or recording service will work without subscription.
    Anonymous User
    Don't the catch up services need internet connection to work?
    Author
    aaqeel

You can watch most of free to air channels using Sky HD+ box without … You can watch most of free to air channels using Sky HD+ box without subscription, if a sky card is present within box. No catchup or recording service will work without subscription.

Free to air channels work fine without the card, but as you say catchup is not working.
    Author
    mrty

Don't the catch up services need internet connection to work?

Yes, have connected the box to the internet with no problems. But the catch up services still don't work.
    I've did a bit of googling and it sounds like you need a Sky package to get access to catch-up services via your Sky box.

With that said, if it's a smart TV it should have its own catch-up apps that you'll theoretically be able to install through the settings page.
    Why not just get a firstick or something similar?
    You can get them on play station or Xbox now tv smart tv or any Wii devices as long as have internet
    what about bbc iplayer does that work without subscription?
    I have found this, I have an old sky+ box too when I got it a few yeears back I could not get any catchup services either even when trying to plug in an Ethernet cable it
    At least the old virgin box and freesat box at the time had catchup. But I even think that stopped working at the time too as couldn't get I player any longer
    So just did without still on old crt tv too
    Author
    LetoKynes

I've did a bit of googling and it sounds like you need a Sky package to … I've did a bit of googling and it sounds like you need a Sky package to get access to catch-up services via your Sky box. With that said, if it's a smart TV it should have its own catch-up apps that you'll theoretically be able to install through the settings page.

Seems to be the case thanks for the reply. Latest Bravia update has broken the catch up apps. Can have Freesat or catch up apps, but not both. Highly frustrating for a not 1 year old TV.
    Author
    master10

Why not just get a firstick or something similar?

Might be the next thing to do. Just seems a shame to buy something else, when the box they have is capable, just locked out.
    Author
    tikketeyboo

You can get them on play station or Xbox now tv smart tv or any Wii … You can get them on play station or Xbox now tv smart tv or any Wii devices as long as have internet

I guess Now TV would be cheapest. Too old to be gamers, though they do have PS2!
    Author
    jco83

what about bbc iplayer does that work without subscription?

Internet suggests it should, but it doesn't.
    Author
    slevinkelevra

I have found this, I have an old sky+ box too when I got it a few yeears … I have found this, I have an old sky+ box too when I got it a few yeears back I could not get any catchup services either even when trying to plug in an Ethernet cable it At least the old virgin box and freesat box at the time had catchup. But I even think that stopped working at the time too as couldn't get I player any longerSo just did without still on old crt tv too

*nods* quite an annoying problem, but it is what it is I guess.

Thanks everyone for the replies
    Is it not possible to rollback to earlier firmware, or force a manual "update" to earlier firmware? Random Sony forum post below suggests certain models may support firmware rollback, although it sounds like this specific user has a USB memory stick function / compatibility issue community.sony.co.uk/t5/…088
    Ultimately: maybe that forum is the better location to find assistance to your specific Sony issue.
    Author
    AndyRoyd

Is it not possible to rollback to earlier firmware, or force a manual … Is it not possible to rollback to earlier firmware, or force a manual "update" to earlier firmware? Random Sony forum post below suggests certain models may support firmware rollback, although it sounds like this specific user has a USB memory stick function / compatibility issue https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/sony-bravia-android-2015-firmware-rollback-procedure/td-p/2091088Ultimately: maybe that forum is the better location to find assistance to your specific Sony issue.

I already asked there some months ago and was told that it wasn't possible if they wanted to keep using satellite TV (which is their only option for live tv), with youview which was the update that broke things. Their advice was to buy a freesat box for £90.

It occurred after posting that I could go about it the other way around. Use the sky box for the free to air channels as they are working and attempt to roll back the tv software did that gets the on demand stuff it's missing at the moment. But I didn't have time to fully investigate that today. Something for my next visit *sigh*

Sony's support of Bravia tv's is really terrible. Would not buy again.
    moneysavingkitten

I already asked there some months ago and was told that it wasn't … I already asked there some months ago and was told that it wasn't possible if they wanted to keep using satellite TV (which is their only option for live tv), with youview which was the update that broke things. Their advice was to buy a freesat box for £90.It occurred after posting that I could go about it the other way around. Use the sky box for the free to air channels as they are working and attempt to roll back the tv software did that gets the on demand stuff it's missing at the moment. But I didn't have time to fully investigate that today. Something for my next visit *sigh*Sony's support of Bravia tv's is really terrible. Would not buy again.

I cannot interpret the meaning of the first paragraph of your response but the second para suggests you have grasped my suggestion. If all else fails, there are various other ways to achieve low cost access to catchup players; depends how much monetary value you apply to the time you spend attempting to locate a resolution for the existing equipment. A new NowTV box with all the players will cost you less than £15 delivered direct from source shop.nowtv.com/bun…nly
    Author
    AndyRoyd

I cannot interpret the meaning of the first paragraph of your response … I cannot interpret the meaning of the first paragraph of your response but the second para suggests you have grasped my suggestion. If all else fails, there are various other ways to achieve low cost access to catchup players; depends how much monetary value you apply to the time you spend attempting to locate a resolution for the existing equipment. A new NowTV box with all the players will cost you less than £15 delivered direct from source https://shop.nowtv.com/bundle/box-only

The Youview update has caused a problem where you can use the satellite receiver in the TV or All 4 and ITV player, but not both. Is what I meant by the first paragraph. It's ridiculous, but not that hard to comprehend.

Yes, I am aware Now TV boxes are cheap. But it seems a shame the existing equipment is capable, but not able.
    moneysavingkitten

The Youview update has caused a problem where you can use the satellite … The Youview update has caused a problem where you can use the satellite receiver in the TV or All 4 and ITV player, but not both. Is what I meant by the first paragraph. It's ridiculous, but not that hard to comprehend.Yes, I am aware Now TV boxes are cheap. But it seems a shame the existing equipment is capable, but not able.

OK, understood now. Also consider that even if you can force an "update" back to a previous and suitable firmware, you would also need to implement a way of preventing the TV from auto-updating in the future (or until the issue was resolved in a later firmware).
    moneysavingkitten

Seems to be the case thanks for the reply. Latest Bravia update has … Seems to be the case thanks for the reply. Latest Bravia update has broken the catch up apps. Can have Freesat or catch up apps, but not both. Highly frustrating for a not 1 year old TV.

If you're not in a hurry to get your catchup services back, probably worth sending them an email/customer support request about this (worth doing either way, actually). Are other people having the same issue/is it a known bug?
    Anonymous User
    moneysavingkitten

The Youview update has caused a problem where you can use the satellite … The Youview update has caused a problem where you can use the satellite receiver in the TV or All 4 and ITV player, but not both. Is what I meant by the first paragraph. It's ridiculous, but not that hard to comprehend.Yes, I am aware Now TV boxes are cheap. But it seems a shame the existing equipment is capable, but not able.

Not sure if this will work, other tv makes allow you to download the firmware updates and update via USB they often have the older versions still online.
's avatar
Top Merchants