Mobile Data sim ?

Posted 24th Apr 2023
Hi,
Do any providers do a data sim that comes with xGB of data that doesn't expire, until the data is used up ?
I'd like to try 5G in my local area, but don't want to pay a recurring monthly fee.

Any ideas ?
Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    one_eight_seven
    How long are you planning to test for? Figure a standard PAYG SIM with a 30 day bundle/pack would be enough for testing purposes. There’s no recurring payments unless you want to continue testing.
    AndyRoyd
    Less than a tenner to check 10GB of 3 data over 30 days. Or less than £15 for 100GB.
    amazon.co.uk/Thr…RX/

£20 to check 3 unlim data MVNO for 30days superdrugmobile.com/our…lan

(Very easy to switch 3 APN if you want to mimic data sim / bypass adult filtering when using 3 handset sim.)

Check Voda via Voxi at £10 / 30GB 30days + other options voxi.co.uk/sim…ans
    or via Lebara unlim data under £10 30days hotukdeals.com/dea…856
    although some may say that non-direct-Voda MVNO has less priority / greater contention than Voda/Voxi itself.

Net neutrality regulations states (paraphrase) you can use a handset sim in a non-handset device,
    although o2 still chooses to state non-compliance / flout.
    innocent
    Last paragraph of your comment about "Net neutrality regulations" etc is immensely important as a lot of people are simply not aware.
    SnoopZ
    Consider Smarty it runs on Three network and it's a 30 day contract, so for for £10 a month I believe you can get 30GB-60GB a month depending on the offer or pay as little as £6 for only 4GB.

So why not just order a SIM and give it ago smarty.co.uk/

(edited)
    innocent
    Which network?
    KodaBear
    Three and EE do some with long expiry dates. You can get a 24GB SIM with 24 months to use it for example. But they tend to be quite expensive to buy.

The other option is to get one of the SIMs like o2 Classic pay as you go. 3p a minute. 2p a text. 1p a megabyte. If not using much data then it will just charge per megabyte as and when you use it. And not disappear after a month.

And finally. This does expire but it’s cheap. Lyca have their 1p a month 5G SIM card for the first 6 months and you can cancel anytime. It’s so cheap that I had to mention it as it may be a better option than paying stupid amounts for the likes of the above 24GB SIM.
    tardytortoise
    A few months ago I picked up a Lebara deal that costs me £0.94 per month.
    For that I get 12GB of data per month and unlimited calls and texts.
    But I pop it into a mifi dongle and it acts as a backup should the public wifi go down at the weekly computer club I attend. The dongle is shared with others at the club, but touch wood we have never exceeded the 12GB monthly limit. But I do carefully monitor the usage.
    I had a similar deal with Lebara before this current one, and hopefully there will be a new deal when this deal expires.
    TomT Author
    Thanks for the replies.. I'll take a look and see which will work out best for me.
    TomT Author
    Looks like the only providers doing 5G in my location are Three and Vodaphone.
    Unfortunealtey I've not seen anything suitable from them.
    TomT Author
    I'm only looking to test this for a couple of weeks.
    Just to see if it's worth looking at getting a 5G contract or not.
    Thanks
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants