Netflix, account sharing and VPN

Posted 30th May 2023
As the title suggests...a neighbour and I have been sharing a Netflix account for a couple of years. We've had the notification checking if this is 'our' account and saying something about accounts needing to be on the same network. Fortunately, we live in the same building so I can get on her internet in my bedroom, but I am unable in my living room.

I am wondering how having a VPN and us being in the same location on that (Windscribe - eg location Biscuits) would affect us and if this would be deemed as the same location for Netflix purposes? We would both still be showing as the UK so it's not as if we're trying to pretend we're in another country, we just don't want anyone knowing our exact location.

Cheers for any information ✌️
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    jamie15
    I thought the rule was that each device had to connect to same home network once a month? In which case connecting to your neighbours WiFi temporarily would solve.
    darkclouds
    Hasn’t it got to the exact same ip address or network address 
    Admast79
    If really want do it, buy some mesh, put 2 in neighbour house, put 2 in your house.

Then cancel also one internet line and just split bills for it in half, everyone save a bit through the years.
    M4tt31
    This was my thought as soon as I read the OP. Makes perfect sense. You could be saving even more money and keep everything running.
    Jimbobery1971 Author
    Thanks for all responses. The connecting to my neighbour's WiFi started when I was having issues connecting to my own (I started a thread on here a while ago seeking advice about how I could connect to her WiFi in the bedroom but not my own in the same flat). Occasionally now, unbeknownst to myself, my bedroom Fire Stick can jump to her network without me knowing. So although permission would be granted it's not usually sought as such.

If it's the case of simply connecting to her WiFi occasionally being OK by Netflix then that's definitely not a problem.
    pekoz1
    I understand what youre saying but...

Not sure how Netflix monitor things exactly but I was wondering if a vpn like Windscribe would be more suspicious to Netflix .... theres a fair chance they know the range of ip addresses in use.

Do you actually use the neighbours wifi to connect from your bedroom or are you saying its possible?

With the neighbours permission of course ....I was thing you using your account from her wifi on a periodic basis might calm Netflix down a bit?? (edited)
    pekoz1
    @jamie15 beat me to it...
    Duck_
    Get a raspberry pi and create a VPN server on it then connect the netflix devices to the VPN you've created and you will have the same IP.
    EN1GMA
    Netflix and chill with the literal neighbours, now theres a novel concept
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants