PS4 or PS5 for casual gamer.

Posted 23rd Nov 2022
Hey guys.

So i'm a casual gamer (play maybe a couple of hours a week on a free weekend).

I like the look of some Sony exclusives, like The Last of Us and Ghosts of Tsushima. But notice they're also available on the older PS4.

So firstly, is it worth the extra money getting a PS5? Is there a big difference? I don't really care about graphics, etc. But is the actual gameplay any different?

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    matt.whats
    Had a ps5 since launch, once I got over the excitement of owning one I soon realized it was just an expensive ps4 emulator. Stick with ps4 for now.
    Lil6ix
    To be honest I got the PS4 in March and only beaten one game since owning it (just to give you an idea of how casual I am) I’ve started playing again and made a list of all the games I want to play on it. I have estimated there are about a years worth of gaming I can do before getting a PS5.

Get the PS4 tbh, just grab a pre-owned one, may aswell wait until a slim version of the PS5 comes out. There aren’t any games on the PS5 that you can’t play on the PS4. It’s overall a pointless upgrade when you really think about it.
    johnboylan12
    There are quite a few you can't play on the PS4 and there will be more next year. Whether they are worth buying a PS5 for is another question.
    Mendoza
    get the PS4, a casual gamer doesn’t need to be forking out for a PS5, just for the sake of being able to say, they have a PS5
    Kb64
    I would stick to PS4, I have thought about getting a PS5 or Switch several times but can't really justify the cost seeing as I only have time to play a few hours a week
    Deedie
    If you can afford a ps5, then get a ps5. The performance boost on ps4 games is worth it for me. And the loading times on ps5 games is a massive bonus for me also. (edited)
    mungylee Author
    Cheers! Just so i know, what do you mean by performance boost? is it just the loading thats faster, or is the gameplay better too?
    Justsuperman
    PS5 all day
    Danny_ray25
    I’d say go for the PS5. You get 20 free games off the get go, though they’re from the PS4 catalogue, they still hold up. The dual sense controller feels more responsive to PS5 games. The console is a lot quieter running AAA ps4 games, and any game that requires a fair amount of storage like ‘No Man’s sky’.
    Currently ps+ premium is £75 (look at current deals to get this even lower) which grants you access to hundreds of Ps5-PS1 games.
    Also getting the console enables you to get all the future releases that may interest you later down the line. Getting the disc version also allows you to use the console as a 4K ultra blu-ray player. P.S I’m not a Sony spokes person
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants